| NEWS Arch Manning Reportedly Had 1 Main Reason For Picking Texas - The Spun

S

SEC Sports

David Cutcliffe, who coached the elder Mannings in college, believes the commitment had one main factor.

Texas is heading to the SEC, so it allows Arch Manning to play in a familiar conference without having to attend a rival school of his family.

“I think the fact Texas is joining the Southeastern Conference kind of put them in the game,” Cutcliffe told DawgNation. “I’ll go out on a limb, but when I looked at it, I thought, Hmm, Georgia is a big rival of Tennessee, and Alabama is a big rival of Ole Miss, and Ole Miss is Ole Miss. So you can be in the conference but not be in direct competition with family, so to speak. Nobody may ever tell you — but that was my take on Texas being a good choice for him.”

I’ll wait to see what his NIL numbers are revealed to be before buying into any other guess. I’d bet a chunk he’s been assured of receiving enough money to live a great life even if he never plays a down in the NFL. And if Sark can’t bring Texas back to elite status with two of the highest ranked high school QB’s ever on the same roster, he might be sent packing. That wouldn’t be possible at most schools but Texas has enough money to do it without batting an eye.

I’m just not sold on Arch Manning’s desire to compete. IMO, he chose to play where he was guaranteed to start from day 1. He knew he would have to compete and win the job under CNS. Probably the same with CKS. Sark bought himself at least 3-4 more years with this commitment. His seat was warming up and this is the best thing that could have happened for him.

David Cutcliffe, who coached the elder Mannings in college, believes the commitment had one main factor.

Texas is heading to the SEC, so it allows Arch Manning to play in a familiar conference without having to attend a rival school of his family.

“I think the fact Texas is joining the Southeastern Conference kind of put them in the game,” Cutcliffe told DawgNation. “I’ll go out on a limb, but when I looked at it, I thought, Hmm, Georgia is a big rival of Tennessee, and Alabama is a big rival of Ole Miss, and Ole Miss is Ole Miss. So you can be in the conference but not be in direct competition with family, so to speak. Nobody may ever tell you — but that was my take on Texas being a good choice for him.”

Alabama is a "big rival of Ole Miss" really? I am almost 61 and I could have sworn that Auburn, UT and LSU are rival games. What do I know?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom