| FTBL Another rumble in the Plains...

bamabass23

Verified Member
Auburn was happy to have center Jason Bosley back at practice Tuesday after he missed time with a bad back, and offensive coordinator Tony Franklin said the quarterback race is too close to call.

The Tigers were also back in a most aggressive mood with another fight.

Offensive lineman Ryan Pugh and defensive end Antonio Coleman went at it this time until a variety of trainers and managers jumped in to break it up. An angry coach Tommy Tuberville, showing far more emotion than usual, sent everybody back to their respective corners and said it must stop. Nobody was hurt, and the assistant coaches yelled they were tried of the fighting, and in no uncertain terms.

``I think intelligence has to outweigh feistiness and aggressiveness,'' said defensive coordinator Paul Rhoads. ``Hot days like this, humid days like this, tired days like this, tempers will tend to flare. When you're a team and you bond as a team and you play as a team, that disappears as it wears out of the system. It won't be a problem.''

The Tigers have had several fights over the course of fall practice.

Is humidity or character? Hmmmm.....just seems like Tubbs is having to insert his foot in his mouth a lot lately.

I think in football a little aggression is probably a good thing.....but is it just me, or does this seem out o hand? Every other day a fight makes the news.

More on the fight...
Right tackle Ryan Pugh was blocking defensive end Antonio Coleman during a routine pass-rush drill Tuesday when the two became entangled. Both players threw punches.

As the two traded blows, trainers raced to separate them. As the fight continued, several other players were drawn in, including a helmetless Ziemba, who dashed into the fray shouting encouragement to Pugh.

As Ziemba crashed into the other players and team staff who were trying to break up the fight, the entire pile staggered backward, into a nearby water cooler. Coleman and another player fell over the cooler; as Ziemba rushed toward the prone Coleman, he was pushed back by at least two teammates.

Coleman stayed facedown on the practice-field turf, attended by trainers, for more than a minute. Several coaches, including Tuberville, shouted at the other players to control themselves.
http://www.oanow.com/oan/sports/col...en_interrupts_auburns_tuesday_practice/31606/
This doesn't sound like the type of fight to motivate players, then again I'm not sure what kind of fights usually go on during practices.

weezyfbaby00 said:
More on the fight...
Right tackle Ryan Pugh was blocking defensive end Antonio Coleman during a routine pass-rush drill Tuesday when the two became entangled. Both players threw punches.

As the two traded blows, trainers raced to separate them. As the fight continued, several other players were drawn in, including a helmetless Ziemba, who dashed into the fray shouting encouragement to Pugh.

As Ziemba crashed into the other players and team staff who were trying to break up the fight, the entire pile staggered backward, into a nearby water cooler. Coleman and another player fell over the cooler; as Ziemba rushed toward the prone Coleman, he was pushed back by at least two teammates.

Coleman stayed facedown on the practice-field turf, attended by trainers, for more than a minute. Several coaches, including Tuberville, shouted at the other players to control themselves.
http://www.oanow.com/oan/sports/col...en_interrupts_auburns_tuesday_practice/31606/
This doesn't sound like the type of fight to motivate players, then again I'm not sure what kind of fights usually go on during practices.

“Hot days like this, humid days like this, tired days like this, tempers will tend to flare.”

:lol:

It was a high of 84 in Auburn today, probably around 80 when they were practicing. If it ever gets up in the upper 90's, those kids are going to start killing each other out there.

porkchop said:
I think in football a little aggression is probably a good thing.....but is it just me, or does this seem out o hand? Every other day a fight makes the news.

Aggression is a nice thing but I do not think like this. I mean a little shoving after a play..okay I can see that. This was a WHOLE lot more than shoving. This is increases your chances of players getting hurt.

Was there any punishment for these guys? Did they have to run laps or stadiums or anything? Or was it just a brush off? How would Saban handle a situation like this?

When I played football in HS, there were a few fights during two a days. When you are out there from sun up to sun down trying to fight for a position, its really easy to let your temper get the best of you. Most coaches like to see this even though you will have to run laps after practice.

What most coaches do is they use this aggression to get you ready for the season. Basically you are so tired of beating each other up that you are ready to go beat up another team.

But there is a big danger here too. IF there is division on Auburn's team, where certain groups can't get along with other groups, and this isn't reconciled by the start of the season, then they are in for some BIG problems.

rammajamma said:
When I played football in HS, there were a few fights during two a days. When you are out there from sun up to sun down trying to fight for a position, its really easy to let your temper get the best of you. Most coaches like to see this even though you will have to run laps after practice.

What most coaches do is they use this aggression to get you ready for the season. Basically you are so tired of beating each other up that you are ready to go beat up another team.

But there is a big danger here too. IF there is division on Auburn's team, where certain groups can't get along with other groups, and this isn't reconciled by the start of the season, then they are in for some BIG problems.

I was thinking about when I played HS ball as well, and I guess I just didn't experience much of that. I went to a small, country high school where everyone pretty much knows everyone since birth and I guess we're fairly close generally speaking, but we didn't seem to have a whole lot of that. There were virtually no "fights" to speak of, though people would push a little after the play every once in a while. That was always due to pride getting hurt more than anything else.

I did have a short-lived fued with my backup at corner (who was the team quarterback) but it didn't last long, mostly I think because our teammates decided to step in and kill the situation before we both got thrown off the team for fighting. Funny things is, once the season started it was ancient history. It was never an issue again. He was the quarterback and I was the weakside corner/defensive team captain that year. It was over and done with in August. I guess either we both knew our roles or just accepted them for the benefit of the team.

So I didn't really experience a whole lot of drama when I played. Yeah, there was a little but it was not common and it was always settled quickly.

Having said all that, we finished 7-3 and 7-5 my two years, so maybe we should have fought a little more. :lol:

porkchop said:

I think it is getting out of hand when players are getting injured. The Furr kid and then Jemison (got his freakin' leg broke). That is completely ridiculous to me.

It is one thing for scuffles to break out at this time of year. It is hot, the competition is intense, and tempers get short as fatigue sets in.

This just doesn't sound like the norm. This is the second time there have been brawls with several players involved. It just sounds like control is being lost.

Couldn't happen in a nicer place.

:p :p :p

Kevin4Bama said:
BamaCore said:
Yes, Pugh was the guy who gave Dorsey the chopblock. I can't remember if he was the one who did it in the Clemson game too.

I thought it was Chaz Ramsey.

Wait you're right Chaz Ramsey was the culprit in the LSU game. Pugh was the culprit in the Clemson game.

Character

It's a good thing that these are 'high character' players that Tubby recruited huh. They must have been 5 star players.

Ha! I love how things turn around on the Aubies and smack them right in the face.

They can feel the Tide turning and they are scared to freaking death!

Back
Top Bottom