| NEWS American Football Coaches Association asks NCAA rules committee to address players faking injuries - ESPN

B

Bama News

The American Football Coaches Association has asked the NCAA rules committee to take up the issue of players faking injuries when it meets next month.

The AFCA Ethics Committee voted in January to recommend that the committee address the practice, which has caused tension within the sport for years. Rather than use a timeout, defensive players often will fake an injury in order to stop the clock and slow the momentum of the opposing offense.

"Our ethics committee, which suggests rules changes to the NCAA, said by unanimous consent that this has got to stop," said AFCA executive director Todd Berry. "So they asked the rules committee to do something about it. It's bad for football."

The current rule, which doesn't directly address the practice of faking injuries, says that anytime the clock is stopped for an injury, the injured player is required to go to the sideline and sit out only one snap before he's eligible to return.

"Rules need to have teeth," Berry said. "And if there's no teeth, there's no impact."

Last year, the NCAA rules committee met in person and spent multiple days discussing the topic of faking injuries. Steve Shaw, who serves as the secretary-rules editor of the NCAA football rules committee in addition to his role as national coordinator of officials, described the debate as vigorous at the time.

Hoping to avoid a rule that would inevitably punish legitimate injuries as well as fake ones, the rules committee decided to let it be known among coaches and administrators that it was prepared to act if those in the sport didn't move to stop the practice of faking injuries immediately. A tape of questionable injuries was sent to all FBS programs as a quasi warning.

"We did not eliminate the feigning injuries," Shaw said. "Even if you just watched the bowl season, you saw some peculiar actions."

Berry said that while they saw some decline in the number of questionable injuries, it wasn't nearly enough, adding that "any of it is bad."

"It's time," Berry said. "... There needs to be a harsh deterrent."

What that exact deterrent is remains to be seen. One potential option, Berry said, would require an injured player to miss the remainder of the series. Coaches would be able to use a timeout in order to "buy" that player back into the game right away.

The NCAA rules committee is expected to meet virtually in early March.

"We'll have heavy debate," Shaw said, "and see where that goes."

I don't see how this can be stopped. Players will do a better job of faking their injury. Go to the tent, make it look good...be back on the field in a couple of plays.

I wish they would address the O lineman 3 yards downfield. Make it 1 like the NFL. This, I feel would cut down on the necessity to fake injures so much. It shifts things back in the defense's favor just a bit.

Every player on the field has been dealing with the targeting call since they have played football seriously. (HS and College) The call is still subjective from game to game, official to official, and conference to conference. I agree with the 15 yd penalty, but at this point missing an entire game is too much. I think maybe miss 30 minutes (1/2 of football) or even 15 minutes (1 quarter) total. While we have seen a decrease in the amount of direct blows to the head, you will never get rid of it entirely. It's like all other fouls, you still have them.

I don't see how this can be stopped. Players will do a better job of faking their injury. Go to the tent, make it look good...be back on the field in a couple of plays.
One potential option, Berry said, would require an injured player to miss the remainder of the series.
That seems reasonable. A lot of these fakes happen when offenses are moving at their own will. If a guy decides to fake and then misses the last half of a 10 play drive? Say, a starting MIKE? I'd think it would begin to curtail those feigning injury.

I wish they would address the O lineman 3 yards downfield. Make it 1 like the NFL. This, I feel would cut down on the necessity to fake injures so much. It shifts things back in the defense's favor just a bit.

Every player on the field has been dealing with the targeting call since they have played football seriously. (HS and College) The call is still subjective from game to game, official to official, and conference to conference. I agree with the 15 yd penalty, but at this point missing an entire game is too much. I think maybe miss 30 minutes (1/2 of football) or even 15 minutes (1 quarter) total. While we have seen a decrease in the amount of direct blows to the head, you will never get rid of it entirely. It's like all other fouls, you still have them.

i get ya,..but player safety ....
....some happen when players just duck and collide...no intent...accidental...and penalty is harsh...for them.....

i like...
penalty but no intent.... enforcement of penalty
Penalty with obvious intent....enforcement of penalty and suspended for half + next half

do judgement on ...
Running into punter and
Roughing punter

I agree, especially with lineman downfield should be 1 yard but I think ejection from the game or like you proposed "missing time from the game" is unnecessary. Heck, a facemask can be more dangerous than helmet to helmet but players don't get ejected for facemask calls. I'd also like to see helmet to helmet go both ways, how many times have you seen a ball carrier lower his head causing the helmet to helmet but the defender gets called for it. It should go against the ball carrier. Another call, horse collaring... it just needs to go away. I see no way a player can get hurt from horse collaring. We have way too many rules going the O's way to now what we have here is basketball on grass and I'm losing interest in the game because of it.

I agree, especially with lineman downfield should be 1 yard but I think ejection from the game or like you proposed "missing time from the game" is unnecessary. Heck, a facemask can be more dangerous than helmet to helmet but players don't get ejected for facemask calls. I'd also like to see helmet to helmet go both ways, how many times have you seen a ball carrier lower his head causing the helmet to helmet but the defender gets called for it. It should go against the ball carrier. Another call, horse collaring... it just needs to go away. I see no way a player can get hurt from horse collaring. We have way too many rules going the O's way to now what we have here is basketball on grass and I'm losing interest in the game because of it.
Agree...horse collar tackles hurts....but really...are they any more dangerous than just big guys hitting a little guy...or a QB in throwing motion...

Back
Top Bottom