| OT All-Sports: It's become clear when a player has a bad game it's their focus. They're paying attention to the NIL, not the game they're playing.

No fan base is innocent here. A lot of fan bases have lost the ability (did they have it in the first place) to understand these games happen with the best of players. But here we are. Another in a long list of fan excuses based on a supposed boogeyman. We literally have players being accused of focusing on their NIL when the same player(s) could be playing professionally. See Montana Fouts if you want an example to start.

No fan base is innocent here. A lot of fan bases have lost the ability (did they have it in the first place) to understand these games happen with the best of players. But here we are. Another in a long list of fan excuses based on a supposed boogeyman. We literally have players being accused of focusing on their NIL when the same player(s) could be playing professionally. See Montana Fouts if you want an example to start.

I'm not accusing her or anyone else of this, but it's not a boogeyman if it's a real life scenario. How often do we talk about, and how often have we heard of how slammed packed the schedules are for college athletes? So now they want to add another element to that schedule that involves, money, sponsorships, signings, appearances, and gosh knows what else, and you want to act like it's not affecting anything and is some fictional character? Come on, it's affecting things, just maybe not to the narrative some people are putting their focus on. NIL is largely unregulated and universities are still trying to figure out how to handle it and are addressing it as it comes it seems in more cases than not. Yes, we hear about the few instances where players are sharing the wealth, but that's small potatoes to how many deals there are out there. We've already heard about this issues at Texas A&M, so it's definitely affecting things.

It is not a real life scenario when you have fans talking about a player and their thought process and/or mind set and are doing so by watching a game that's broadcast. They don't know what's in these players minds just like you and I don't.

NIL and its affects are a real life scenario. I didn't mean these fans were speaking from their actual knowledge from inside the minds of the athletes, but we'd be naïve to think they aren't thinking their performance could be costing them current dollars. It's a real topic. I don't think it ever needs to be taken to lengths as some of these fans are taking it, but NIL can definitely cause performance issues in my opinion. We've seen the pressure these athletes are under before money was even brought to the table. Now with money, sponsors, agents, and so many others pressuring these athletes, it'll become a mental health issue before long. That ain't even bringing in the family pressure we know these guys receive. Just watch. It's already a huge go to for pro athletes. Just wait till you start talking to college kids that are still going to class on top of the rest.

NIL and its affects are a real life scenario. I didn't mean these fans were speaking from their actual knowledge from inside the minds of the athletes, but we'd be naïve to think they aren't thinking their performance could be costing them current dollars. It's a real topic. I don't think it ever needs to be taken to lengths as some of these fans are taking it, but NIL can definitely cause performance issues in my opinion. We've seen the pressure these athletes are under before money was even brought to the table. Now with money, sponsors, agents, and so many others pressuring these athletes, it'll become a mental health issue before long. That ain't even bringing in the family pressure we know these guys receive. Just watch. It's already a huge go to for pro athletes. Just wait till you start talking to college kids that are still going to class on top of the rest.
@BamaFan334 not disagreeing but I think top athletes that go to places like Bama already have money on their mind. Coaches like Saban that convinces them if they help the team be successful that is better for them business wise in the NFL. NIL certainly accelerates some of that when they are trying to make money now instead of a year or two if/when they turn pro. Accelerating that is also at a time when they are maybe not as mature mentally to handle it.

My money is on the GOAT being able to navigate this better than anyone else.

@BamaFan334 not disagreeing but I think top athletes that go to places like Bama already have money on their mind. Coaches like Saban that convinces them if they help the team be successful that is better for them business wise in the NFL. NIL certainly accelerates some of that when they are trying to make money now instead of a year or two if/when they turn pro. Accelerating that is also at a time when they are maybe not as mature mentally to handle it.

My money is on the GOAT being able to navigate this better than anyone else.

Well there's only one Nick Saban. For every Bryce Young there are 1,000 that aren't as prepared to handle it. Do we think Deon Sanders has his program dialed in on NIL? After all, he did get Travis Hunter and Coleman to bite.

I didn't mean these fans were speaking from their actual knowledge from inside the minds of the athletes, but we'd be naïve to think they aren't thinking their performance could be costing them current dollars.
A player is having a bad game and it's the first go to: "he/she is more focused on NIL than ________." If that's the case that shows the NIL is a symptom of a lack of focus, not the root cause. ESPECIALLY in team sports.

The invented excuse of NIL affecting performance is no different than people saying "they weren't trying." Those don't have experience in competitive play or were really, really bad at competitive play.

A player is having a bad game and it's the first go to: "he/she is more focused on NIL than ________." If that's the case that shows the NIL is a symptom of a lack of focus, not the root cause. ESPECIALLY in team sports.

The invented excuse of NIL affecting performance is no different than people saying "they weren't trying." Those don't have experience in competitive play or were really, really bad at competitive play.

They're freaking college kids, of course there is a lack of focus. If there wasn't, you'd never hear Nick Saban yell or see him upset. Why do you think Agiye Hall went dormant? He got all the publicity after A-Day and couldn't focus. You think maybe some NIL factors crept in? I think it had a little to do with that and then when playing time never came the pressure was on.

You need to re-read my initial comment. I do not think one bad pitch, throw, dropped pass, or fumble is caused due to NIL. Preparation, consistency, slumps etc could possibly be attributed. Locker room differences, potentially. All I was saying is NIL is yet another equation to throw into the problem that is college athletics. Now will they pass the test?

Yep all of this is rat poison and another thing to distract but if you focus on the right things each player will be better off. Will they? Some will some will not. Again fortunately we have the GOAT but even with him some players will test his ability to manage it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom