| FOOD Alabama's best breakfast...

When I was in my undergrad years Gary had a cook named Ida ... made the best sausage gravy I've ever had. I miss those days at Rama Jama's...

(LOL...when you could get a drink, on the strip, at 7AM and eat breakfast at nine. Damn...)

Get this. I used to get their BLT's in the morning ... but even then 12 slices of bacon was too much. I can't imagine that sandwich today.

Bab Carlton's Top 10... Alabama’s best breakfast: Our Top 10

Al.com's honorable mentions... Alabama’s best breakfast: We have egg on our face for leaving these out

I should eat at the Waysider more often, not sure why I don't other than lack of convenience. Buddy's Rib and Steak gets the job done for me and it's a shorter drive.
I'd pick Buddy's 10 times out of 10 over the Waysider. I've eaten there a couple of times and it was the most bland, lukewarm to cold breakfast I've ever eaten. My wife couldn't even finish her breakfast, and the service was less than stellar each time we've been. And why even mention "bottomless cups of coffee"? Every sit down restaurant has that.

I think it just gets by on the reputation of being a favorite of Coach Bryant's. City Cafe's breakfast is so much better.

I'd pick Buddy's 10 times out of 10 over the Waysider. I've eaten there a couple of times and it was the most bland, lukewarm to cold breakfast I've ever eaten. My wife couldn't even finish her breakfast, and the service was less than stellar each time we've been. And why even mention "bottomless cups of coffee"? Every sit down restaurant has that.

I think it just gets by on the reputation of being a favorite of Coach Bryant's. City Cafe's breakfast is so much better.
I'll admit that Waysider's biscuits leave a bit to be desired.

But their ham steaks? Sitting next to a tall stack and swimming in butter and syrup?

Nothing better.

I wouldn't say City Cafe is BETTER per se, but it's a push for me. The ambience is better at Waysider, for sure.

I'll admit that Waysider's biscuits leave a bit to be desired.

But their ham steaks? Sitting next to a tall stack and swimming in butter and syrup?

Nothing better.

I wouldn't say City Cafe is BETTER per se, but it's a push for me. The ambience is better at Waysider, for sure.
Last time we were in the Waysider it smelled like mold. Not what I want for ambience.

A glass of v8 (or tomato juice) some mixed nuts (no peanuts) for breakfast or a protein shake.. not so great… except for beating insulin resistance.. blood sugar down to 88 to 74 now..and shedding gut..😉

Here are the ones that Al.com miss!

Alabama’s best breakfast: We have egg on our face for leaving these out
We’ve been talking about breakfast a lot this week on AL.com. We’ve told you our picks for the best breakfast in Birmingham, Mobile, Huntsville and statewide, and while we covered a lot of restaurants, y’all still told us we missed out on a lot.

So we’re here to talk about more breakfast. There are a lot of amazing breakfast places in Alabama, so let’s get to it.
I was about to mention Duck Russels in Tillmans Corner but I see that is listed in this article. Been here multiple times thru the years, especially when family is in town and we go out in the morning to eat. Biscuits are always fresh out of the oven.

I've never had a bad experience at Waysider, but the sample size isn't that big. Only time I can think of was one morning it was about 80 degrees inside for some reason. City Café is fine, but I do that it is a little overrated overall... I'll admit though, I hate the whole find our own table like a vulture practice and the cramped booths, so that plays into it some.

I've never had a bad experience at Waysider, but the sample size isn't that big. Only time I can think of was one morning it was about 80 degrees inside for some reason. City Café is fine, but I do that it is a little overrated overall... I'll admit though, I hate the whole find our own table like a vulture practice and the cramped booths, so that plays into it some.
Timing plays a huge part in the City Cafe experience, but the food is edible whereas Waysider is not-my wife ordered biscuits and gravy @ Waysider and I swear they just poured beef broth on a biscuit and brought it out.

Timing plays a huge part in the City Cafe experience, but the food is edible whereas Waysider is not-my wife ordered biscuits and gravy @ Waysider and I swear they just poured beef broth on a biscuit and brought it out.

I'll more than likely just stick with Buddy's... even then, I don't go often. Usually only when company is in town or meeting friends, but it is always pretty good. Got to thinking the other day, I eat at Waffle House on average, about once per year. I'm in my 40's... I'd bet the over/under on the times I've eaten at one is right at my age. I'd be completely guessing on which side I took on it. And I don't hate 'em, they're really good for what they are, I just rarely go.

A hot cup of coffee during a storm. Always open.

One of the times I ate at one was in Daphne, the morning after a hurricane. They were the only open restaurant/business in town. Not sure if they were on generator or the power company fixed them first, but there they were, open and serving.

Oddly enough, we had a car full of people coming back from a concert in Bham a couple years ago… they wanted to stop at the Waffle House in Northport (around midnight) before we all went back home. Closed. So I have that on the bingo card too.

Oddly enough, we had a car full of people coming back from a concert in Bham a couple years ago… they wanted to stop at the Waffle House in Northport (around midnight) before we all went back home. Closed. So I have that on the bingo card too.
I'd bet there is a franchise fine there.

The only comparable generator to the WH close to me...gotta be CVS. In a hospital district.

I'd bet there is a franchise fine there.

The only comparable generator to the WH close to me...gotta be CVS. In a hospital district.

Years ago I worked with an older lady who worked a 2nd job, the overnight shift at the Waffle House on The Strip. Every Monday morning when I'd see her... "Give me your best story from the weekend..." That lady saw some stuff.

I eat at Waffle House on average, about once per year.
When I was traveling a bit, it was about twice a week for me. I ordered in the order of the waitress call to the grill, and I'd look to see if the third egg, wheat toast or other markers aren't on the plate.

Some years back, I think it was somewhere near Tampa/Bradenton, there was a beautiful waitress there, and she rebuilt carburetors on the side. Had guys bringing them to her in a five gallon bucket. I seriously considered proposing. Early December one year, I witnessed a pretty good fistfight between two ladies over who was working Christmas Day. Traveling patrons are very generous on Christmas, so the battle wasn't over who was off, but who was working.

One of the times I ate at one was in Daphne, the morning after a hurricane. They were the only open restaurant/business in town. Not sure if they were on generator or the power company fixed them first, but there they were, open and serving.

The one on McFarland across from McDonald's?

Back
Top Bottom