| FTBL Alabama transfer Shane Lee has Jalen Hurts-like qualities, USC coach Lincoln Riley says:

USC football linebacker Shane Lee has qualities similar to former Alabama and Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts, who helped Trojans coach Lincoln Riley win a Big 12 Championship at Oklahoma as a Heisman finalist. Riley expects his newest transfer from the Crimson Tide to be another immediate impact performer with a level of comfort that's already been established.

"Through recruiting Coach (Brian) Odom and Coach (Lincoln) Riley, it was all about winning and was all about building a culture," Lee said last week after USC's first practice, via USCFootball.com. “It seemed like family, seemed real genuine and like me. It seemed like a good fit.”

Lee said Odom immediately reached out to him when he entered the transfer portal following the national championship game in January.

Riley said last week on his radio show that Lee's presence has been "instrumental" for the program and that he would undoubtedly improve the team's strengths at linebacker.

Notes BamaOnline's Charlie Potter, Lee appeared in 13 games last season as a reserve and a special teams contributor, and 29 over the course of his three-year career. In 2019, he was forced into a starting role at Mike linebacker as a true freshman following injuries to Dylan Moses and Joshua McMillon and finished second on the team in tackles that season with 86.

After that, he dealt with a sports hernia injury in 2020 and only played in five games during Alabama's national title-winning campaign.

“Initially it was really frustrating, but I learned a lot,” Lee said about his time at Alabama. “I grew a lot. It’s adversity — like, everybody goes through it, and you’ve just got to look at it a certain way and be able to learn from it and grow from it and be better because of it.”

Lee will be competing for a starting spot within Alex Grinch's new-look defense in the Pac-12. His position coach is anxious to see more from him.

“He adds a lot to the room,” Odom said last week, praising Lee's early progress at USC. “His experiences, the way he talks, the way he carries himself, the way he works, his demeanor, he’s all about ball. Everybody enjoys being around him, knows he’s a serious guy. He’s built quite a reputation to start.”

Lee is one of 13 transfers that USC signed this recruiting cycle.

Originally a member of Alabama's 2019 recruiting class, Lee was a top-100 recruit out of Baltimore, Md. He was the No. 2 player in the state of Maryland, the nation's No. 5 inside linebacker prospect and the 78th overall recruit for that cycle, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

A buddy of mine who's big on the USC scene had mentioned Lee is getting rave reviews out there. I'm happy for him... One of those kids that will absolutely get the most out of his physical abilities because he's so in tune with his mental responsibilities. He's on track to have a great career there

Considering the heat he took as a true freshman being thrown into the fire, I too, hope he is successful and can parlay this into something good for his future. His speed was always what hurt him. He can plug a hole like nobody's business.

Considering the heat he took as a true freshman being thrown into the fire, I too, hope he is successful and can parlay this into something good for his future. His speed was always what hurt him. He can plug a hole like nobody's business.

Yes, I always made a point to defend the poor guy after the situation he was thrown in and then thrown back into the depth chart the next year. Dude stepped up and did a job 99% of the linebackers in the country couldn't do, and that was anchor the defense for the best program in the country.

I hope he does awesome out there at USC.

Does everyone in the nation find it a coincidence both of the guys mentioned went to Alabama and worked under Saban or do they want to think it was in fact a coincidence? I'm sure amazing men before they came to Tuscaloosa, but they left even better I'm willing to bet.

Yes, I always made a point to defend the poor guy after the situation he was thrown in and then thrown back into the depth chart the next year. Dude stepped up and did a job 99% of the linebackers in the country couldn't do, and that was anchor the defense for the best program in the country.

I hope he does awesome out there at USC.

Does everyone in the nation find it a coincidence both of the guys mentioned went to Alabama and worked under Saban or do they want to think it was in fact a coincidence? I'm sure amazing men before they came to Tuscaloosa, but they left even better I'm willing to bet.
They know, may not want to admit it, but they know. Definitely a hole plugger but pursuing side to side is not his strength. To me, his arms were not long enough for ILB.

They know, may not want to admit it, but they know. Definitely a hole plugger but pursuing side to side is not his strength. To me, his arms were not long enough for ILB.

They weren't, but he is definitely a thumper with a muscular build at probably 230. He would be ideal for the traditional game of football.

Back
Top Bottom