| FTBL Alabama TE jokes with former Vol Lane Kiffin who reflects on time at Tide rival

PhillyGirl

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/08/alabama_te_jokes_with_former_v.html

Brian Vogler wasted no time messing with his new offensive coordinator.
Turns out he goes way back with Lane Kiffin, so the Alabama senior tight end brought up old times when the former Tennessee coach arrived in Tuscaloosa.

It can be a complicated thing working for the Vols, then the Crimson Tide. Vogler can laugh with Kiffin because he was once heavily recruited by his Tennessee staff. It's one of the few holdovers from the 2009 season Kiffin spent in Knoxville.

And on his one and only media availability of the year, the former Vol coach was asked about returning to Neyland Stadium on Oct. 25.

"The people were phenomenal there — really loved being there," Kiffin said. "It was just a unique situation that came about. You can't look back. I just don't live that way, looking back and saying well should I or shouldn't I have left. I don't live that way. I look forward and we're excited about this year coming up. Obviously we're going there and it will be a competitive game, but right now we're focused on getting better in training camp."

But there was time for a few jokes before the serious work began.

Vogler said he became close with Kiffin during his recruitment and seriously considered the Vols. As a high school junior in 2009, Vogler visited Tennessee's Junior Day. He was impressed.

"My dad, right away, right after he was done meeting coach Kiffin, he told me he thought that it seemed like I had some kind of bond or something with them," Vogler told Rivals in March 2009. "I've never been like that around other coaches, to just feel so free and so open."

There was a difficult decision to make.

"It was close," Vogler said Sunday. "It came down to them in the end, but I think it had more to do with coach Kiffin and that relationship I had with him and time I got to spend with him and the connection I had with him. I think he was a major factor in (Tennessee) being a player."

Ultimately, Alabama won his favor and the commitment came July 22, 2009.

"I think he's been subconsciously holding a grudge against me for not going up there with him," Vogler said Sunday. "But we joke about it a lot."

He wouldn't have played for Kiffin even if he opted for the Vols. The coach left for USC after the 2009 season and Vogler arrived in Tuscaloosa the following fall.

The fifth-year senior sees a much different Kiffin today compared to the coach he met in Knoxville.

"I think he's a little bit more relaxed," Vogler said. "Yes, obviously the standard is high here, but he doesn't have as many responsibilities as he had there so it makes his job a little bit easier and it makes him be able to focus more on the offense more."

Back
Top Bottom