| BSB/SB ðŸ¥Ž Alabama Shuts Out Southern Miss Wednesday in Tuscaloosa

B

Bama News

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama softball is back in action at Rhoads Stadium this week, hosting Southern Miss on Wednesday, March 1. First pitch between the Crimson Tide and Golden Eagles is set for 6 p.m. CT.

This Week: Southern Miss (Tuscaloosa, Ala.)​

• Wednesday, March 1 – 6 p.m. CT
  • Video: SEC Network+ (Streaming)
  • Radio: The Crimson Tide Sports Network at 97.5 FM in Tuscaloosa | nick975.com

Scouting Alabama​

• Alabama continues its homestand with a midweek matchup against Southern Miss on Wednesday at 6 p.m. CT
  • The Crimson Tide is in the midst of a 13-game home stand, with seven more home games remaining before hitting the road for six straight starting March 8 at UAB
  • Alabama went 4-1 at last weekend's Easton Bama Bash, winning its first four matchups before dropping the weekend finale to Kennesaw State
  • Ally Shipman leads the team with a .440 batting average (11-for-25) with Ashley Prange next up at .379 (11-for-27), which includes a team-leading four home runs and 11 RBIs
  • Murphy is in his 25th season as head coach at Alabama with a 1,200-335 (.782) record
  • Alabama returns 11 players from last year's team, including All-SEC honorees Montana Fouts, Ashley Prange, Ally Shipman and Bailey Dowling, while also welcoming five freshmen and three transfers

I guess they couldnt start at 4 and let people catch it and round ball game...
Why????????

Speculating here, but I’d imagine Southern Miss didn’t agree to it (probably for travel reasons). The baseball game was moved up an entire day because of weather uncertainty, so I’d bet Murphy would have started earlier if he could have just on that fact alone.

Speculating here, but I’d imagine Southern Miss didn’t agree to it (probably for travel reasons). The baseball game was moved up an entire day because of weather uncertainty, so I’d bet Murphy would have started earlier if he could have just on that fact alone.
Call it a three hour drive from Hattiesburg with two hours of warm ups, etc...I'd imagine most could get in all their Wednesday classes.

It might...but ....so they start earlier...then the bus trip and get home earlier...
It seems some live in a vacuum...

nobody in AD depatment knows when events are happening and when there are potential conflicts and what most benefits players n fans...

NOBODY?
The problem isn't a lack of information, it's apathy.

nobody in AD depatment knows when events are happening and when there are potential conflicts and what most benefits players n fans...
What benefits the softball players the most? One, it's a mid-week, OOC contest. Alabama doesn't hold all the cards here to start. A lot of the players run with a four day class load so six benefits both sides.

What gets broadcast, and when it's broadcast, is completely out of anyone at Alabama's hands. ESPN chose this tip-off time for the basketball game. A 9ET TV time and it's not a conversation.

It's rare this happens. And it's definitely not something to over think.
The problem isn't a lack of information, it's apathy.
Making that judgment shows a lack of information, no?

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Alabama softball shut out Southern Miss, 5-0, Wednesday night at Rhoads Stadium.

After two scoreless innings, Alabama (12-3) got into the run column first against Southern Miss (12-2) courtesy of a two-out RBI single from Ashley Prange. In the bottom of the fourth with two on and one out, Jenna Johnson added some cushion with a three-run home run to left, making it 4-0. Bailey Dowling one-hopped the wall in left for an RBI double in the fifth to stretch the lead to five, and the 5-0 lead proved final as the Crimson Tide kept the Golden Eagles out of the run column for the remained to retain the shutout.

Montana Fouts (7-1) posted a quality start in the circle, striking out 10 with just one hit and three walks allowed over 6.0 innings pitched while Alex Salter closed the door with a shutout seventh, striking out two. Johnson tied a season high with three RBIs, all coming on her first home run of the season. Six different players earned a hit in the win for the Tide, though freshman Kenleigh Cahalan saw her career-starting hitting streak end at 14 games.

From Head Coach Patrick Murphy

"I thought Montana was in complete control all game long. Salter came in and gave us a good inning at the end. We will need her this year, so it was cool to see her do really well tonight. Jenna Johnson had the big hit with the three-run home run, and then a pair of two-out RBIs from Ashley Prange and Bailey Dowling. It was a good game. I think Southern Miss is a good team, they're going to win a lot of games this year."

Highlights​

• Alabama is now 7-2 this season when scoring first and 10-1 when leading after the fourth inning
  • Kenleigh Cahalan's hitting streak came to an end at 14 games, though a first-inning walk extended her reached-base streak to 15
  • Emma Broadfoot extended her current hitting streak to five games
  • Jenna Johnson tied her season high with three RBIs, all coming on her first home run of the year
  • The game was Montana Fouts' second of the season with double-digit strikeouts and the 44th of her career
  • With 10 strikeouts tonight, Fouts now sits at 939 for her career, just 61 shy of becoming the fifth player in program history with 1,000 strikeouts

Scoring Summary​

• B3 | Ashley Prange dropped an RBI single into right field (1-0, 2 Out)
  • B4 | With two on base, Jenna Johnson slugged a three-run homer to left (4-0, 1 Out)
  • B5 | Bailey Dowling one-hopped an RBI double off the left field wall (5-0, 2 Out)

Up Next: T-Mobile Crimson Classic (Tuscaloosa, Ala.)​

• Friday, March 3 vs. Robert Morris – 4 p.m. CT
  • Friday, March 3 vs. Longwood – 6:30 p.m. CT
  • Saturday, March 4 vs. Robert Morris – 11 a.m. CT
  • Saturday, March 4 vs. Longwood – 1:30 p.m. CT
  • Sunday, March 5 vs. Mercer – 1 p.m. CT

What benefits the softball players the most? One, it's a mid-week, OOC contest. Alabama doesn't hold all the cards here to start. A lot of the players run with a four day class load so six benefits both sides.

What gets broadcast, and when it's broadcast, is completely out of anyone at Alabama's hands. ESPN chose this tip-off time for the basketball game. A 9ET TV time and it's not a conversation.

It's rare this happens. And it's definitely not something to over think.

Making that judgment shows a lack of information, no?
What benefits softball players most...big enthusiastic crowd...
Espn has had game at 6/7 for awhile...maybe coud be worked out with usm..maybe not..
Wasnt like delta airlines was on reserve...

But ok...whatever

What benefits softball players most...big enthusiastic crowd...
Espn has had game at 6/7 for awhile...maybe coud be worked out with usm..maybe not..
Wasnt like delta airlines was on reserve...

But ok...whatever
Ironically, out of the eight or nine Wednesday night basketball games, I think this is the only one ESPN2 has broadcast at 6 CT. The rest have been in the 9 ET slot you so gleefully laugh at the east coast about. It certainly is a lower draw than the top 25 matchup they have at 8CT.

IF you look at softball and their schedules you'll find the M-TH games scheduled at 6 CT for softball.

Ironically, out of the eight or nine Wednesday night basketball games, I think this is the only one ESPN2 has broadcast at 6 CT. The rest have been in the 9 ET slot you so gleefully laugh at the east coast about. It certainly is a lower draw than the top 25 matchup they have at 8CT.

IF you look at softball and their schedules you'll find the M-TH games scheduled at 6 CT for softball.
But still...

@50+yeartidefan ... with school scheduling and TV slots. How's this?

UGA is on the road today playing UofSC in basketball. 1:00 ET.
Clemson is on the road today playing UofSC in baseball. 1:00 ET.

I'm guessing the stadium and arena are seven or eight blocks apart; neither on campus.

@50+yeartidefan ... with school scheduling and TV slots. How's this?

UGA is on the road today playing UofSC in basketball. 1:00 ET.
Clemson is on the road today playing UofSC in baseball. 1:00 ET.

I'm guessing the stadium and arena are seven or eight blocks apart; neither on campus.

Well....if you are a season ticket holder of USCe baseball and basketball.....
You are going to make a friend happy with free tickets to one of those events

Back
Top Bottom