| NEWS Alabama is college basketball's most mysterious, fascinating team and a threat to your bracket come March - CBSSports

B

Bama News

There is no predicting what Alabama will do, and when NCAA Tournament time arrives, you'll have peace the sooner you accept that this team will do its best to wreck your bracket.

Alabama (14-7) is the most temperamental team in the country. Alabama (5-1 vs. ranked opponents) is also one of the best teams in the country. Oh! Also: Alabama (losers to Georgia, Missouri and Memphis) is, cutely, one of the most underachieving teams in the country. These guys contain multitudes, dude.

"I told our guys before the game, 'We need to get back to having fun,'" Alabama coach Nate Oats said Saturday night, later adding, "when stuff goes bad, just keep playing."

If ever a credo fit this team, it's that one.

Alabama had fun on Saturday, and so did most non-Baylor fans who watched the Tide player the fourth-ranked Bears. The underdog Crimson Tide provided arguably the buzziest win of the weekend with its 87-78 dispatch of Baylor. The victory comes days removed from a baffling road loss to lowly Georgia.

Oats' team now owns six Quadrant 1 wins. The only team with more: the one Bama beat on Saturday. Baylor has seven. Alabama also carries two heavy Quad 3 losses. No team has a résumé with extremes like that. Adding to the confusion is that this school won the SEC regular season and postseason titles a year ago, earned a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament and brought back a good portion of the roster that helped make 2020-21 one of the best years in the history of the program.

The past two-plus months have brought on whiplash. Highs, lows and mysterious in-betweens. On Saturday we again saw why this group has to be considered — for the remainder of the season — as an irresistible Final Four dark horse just as much as it will be a juicy candidate for a first round upset.

It's always entertaining. Bama's averaging 82 points a night, ranking top-15 in offensive tempo and points per game. The Tide's ceiling and watchability has a contagiousness to it; when they are feeling it, they're as must-see as nearly anyone in college hoops. Alabama offered up one highlight after another in bouncing Baylor. A JD Davison breakaway dunk here, a Jaden Shackelford 3-pointer there, an alley-oop to a masked Juwan Gary late, and another heady setup by Jahvon Quinerly.

"The moment's not too big for him, ever," Oats said of Davidson, his dynamite freshman.

Even with a constant push for most of the game by Baylor (18-3), Alabama matched and responded.

The Tide have now knocked off three of last year's Final Four teams. Gonzaga went down by nine in Seattle on Dec. 4. A week later, Alabama edged Houston at home. Saturday was Baylor's turn, even with the Bears' critical point guard James Akinjo back; he played 31 minutes. Those 2021 Final Four teams are a combined 51-7. (The other, UCLA, is not on the schedule this season, but the Bruins did knock Alabama out of the field last year.)

More destruction for Baylor at the hands of Alabama: The Tide ended BU's 36-game nonconference winning streak that dated back to November 2019. Baylor won those 36 games by an average of 23.2 points before falling by nine on Saturday. Baylor was also 33-1 against unranked teams in the past two seasons.

Meantime, Alabama came in 2-4 in its previous six. What a riddle these guys are — even as they play well against most of the high end of the schedule.

If you want a reason for why Alabama is so volatile with its results, the biggest one is a lack of Herb Jones. Last year's alpha defender is now in the NBA, and it's obvious this team misses his leadership and IQ. The Tide were the No. 3 team in defensive efficiency at KenPom last season; as of Saturday, they ranked 68th. Another is the 3-point shooting. Alabama's had one game shooting above 40% from 3 this season; last season it did it 10 times.

Yet Shackelford (17.1 ppg) and Quinerly (14.3 ppg) are the highest-scoring duo in the SEC and one of the toughest to handle in the country. Shackelford (19 points, nine rebounds, five assists vs. Baylor) is averaging 21.5 points in his past four games and is taking control of this team at the right time. Davison can detonate a game; he'll be off to the NBA soon enough. Keon Ellis and Noah Gurley give more than mere flashes with regularity.

A dossier dotted with losses to Iona (a good mid-major, but still), Memphis (strangely non-competitive), Missouri (bad for one's diet) and Georgia (seriously, what?) is going to eventually make Alabama a headache of a team to draw, no matter what seed line it lands on. Going into the Georgia game, Oats said, his staff felt like that was a "must-win" given the stretch it's in right now.

"It was huge," Oats said of beating Baylor because of what's coming next.

Get ready for more of these guys. Alabama's going to be front and center in college basketball this week. A humongous road tilt against No. 1 Auburn is next, on Tuesday. The Tigers won at Alabama earlier in January. Bruce Pearl, fresh off signing a $50 million restructured contract, is king of the sport right now. Can he keep Auburn above the SEC and his in-state rival? That could be a rocker ... or Auburn could win by 20 ... or maybe Alabama wins by 12. With this team, who's to say?

After Auburn comes a home date against Kentucky next Saturday. The menacing, healthy Wildcats had their way in an 80-62 road win over Kansas on Saturday.

No. 4 Baylor, then No. 1 Auburn, then No. 12 Kentucky — and Kentucky is guaranteed to be top-10 when the game gets played. Alabama has to be going through the toughest three-game stretch of any team this regular season.

"We're capable, we seem to step up every big game we've had," Oats said.

They've also stepped down to some opponents. Alabama is a thrill ride. Guaranteed, somehow, to surprise, entertain, disappoint, prove you wrong AND right. You never know what you're going to get, which makes this the perfect team for March. So, see you in the NCAA Tournament, Alabama — however you get there and whatever you look like six weeks from now. There might not be a more dangerous team to its region, or itself, once the Big Dance begins.

Perfect description of the Tide in this article. There’s truly no telling what you’ll see game to game with this Bama team. They’re 5-1 against ranked teams yet lose to Missouri, Georgia and Memphis. In my opinion, Oats should pick Saban’s brain on how to keep your team from playing down to the competition.

Nate needs to boot Shack's father off the bench and move JQ's father into that slot

“Guys follow his lead. When he’s playing well, we’re usually pretty good, and he’s been pretty good most of these big games,” Oats said of Quinerly. “We got to keep him playing really well in every game. He’s got a limited amount of time left his senior year. I think he wants to take advantage of it.”

Oats believed Quinerly had been putting “a lot of pressure on himself” and met with the team’s sports psychologist as well as his father, Mark, who flew down Friday from the family’s home in New Jersey.

“I think he just had to get in the right frame of mind, quit putting so much pressure on himself to be great,” Oats said. “Just go out, get back to having fun and play hard.”

The biggest takeaway was our efficiency in the paint. Shooting nearly 60% from the floor against the 7th best defense scoring team in the country is incredible. Baylor was unable to stay in front of our guards when they decided to drive in the paint. We still shot poorly from 3, yet pretty much dominated Baylor.

When our guards guy in and give effort on the board, we're dangerous. Shack had 9 rebounds yesterday. Gary only had 3, yet his impact on the floor was much more visible than what the stats show.

Just come out and play with that energy every single game for 40 minutes.

The biggest takeaway was our efficiency in the paint. Shooting nearly 60% from the floor against the 7th best defense scoring team in the country is incredible. Baylor was unable to stay in front of our guards when they decided to drive in the paint. We still shot poorly from 3, yet pretty much dominated Baylor.

When our guards guy in and give effort on the board, we're dangerous. Shack had 9 rebounds yesterday. Gary only had 3, yet his impact on the floor was much more visible than what the stats show.

Just come out and play with that energy every single game for 40 minutes.

33% ain"t terrible. One of every three. What are we expecting to hinestly hit every game? I consider 40% really high on a consistent level.

I looked at some numbers earlier... Bama has taken the 10th most 3's in CBB with 616. Out of the 25 teams that have taken the most 3's this season, Bama has the lowest made percentage at 31%. For comparison sake, last season Bama finished at .352. May not sound like much, but that's the difference in some W's and L's in a couple of close games.

This stat jumped off the page at me when I read the article about Alabama winning Saturday against Baylor.

"Shackelford led Bama in rebounding with 9 as the Tide won the battle of the boards, 29-25." Although, we won the battle on the boards, it is troubling to me that a guard led the team in rebounds.

I looked at some numbers earlier... Bama has taken the 10th most 3's in CBB with 616. Out of the 25 teams that have taken the most 3's this season, Bama has the lowest made percentage at 31%. For comparison sake, last season Bama finished at .352. May not sound like much, but that's the difference in some W's and L's in a couple of close games.

What were the leading percentages? I'd be curious to know the competition those teams are facing. We have one of the toughest schedules in the country. It still doesn't explain the let down loses, but I imagine when you play higher caliber teams that are more capable at playing defense you'll see a dip in stats.

A fun little note I ran across yesterday was that we have beat three of the Final Four from last year. We just haven't played UCLA. Pretty wild.

What were the leading percentages? I'd be curious to know the competition those teams are facing. We have one of the toughest schedules in the country. It still doesn't explain the let down loses, but I imagine when you play higher caliber teams that are more capable at playing defense you'll see a dip in stats.

A fun little note I ran across yesterday was that we have beat three of the Final Four from last year. We just haven't played UCLA. Pretty wild.

Here's a site to check it out, you can use the menu near the top to break it down into several different categories (year, all conferences, selected conference, etc). This link is SEC only, sorted by 3 point %...

Back
Top Bottom