| FTBL 🏈💪 ~ Alabama Football Spring Camp~ Video and interviews from Thursday's final practice before A-Day

The Alabama football team suited up in full pads for the first time this spring on Thursday afternoon on the Thomas-Drew Fields as the Crimson Tide marched closer to the annual A-Day Game on April 13.

The eyes of the college football world continue to focus on the Crimson Tide program with a new regime in town and Kalen DeBoer now the face of the most prestigious football team in the country.

Following Thursday’s practice, Coach DeBoer would speak with local reporters about what he has seen from his team so far this spring.

Below are some of his top quotes from Thursday:

Opening Remarks​

“Practice 5 is already behind us. It’s going fast. That’s one-third of the practices, and we’ve got three scrimmages, a day even with just helmets. It’s gonna move along quickly. All of a sudden after Saturday’s practice, we’ll be one step even closer.

“Guys, I thought, today really did a nice job bringing energy. I thought the physicality was at the highest level. Today was our first day in full pads, as you saw out there. Didn’t do anything as far as taking a lot of guys to the ground or anything like that in our full scrimmage stuff that we always kind of end each practice with, but we will get to that here on Saturday a little bit, just some isolated opportunities there to work on that.

“Guys came back from spring break — we’ve got a high standard and asked them to be even better than what we were on Tuesday. They definitely brought it. You can tell it’s important to them. They’re doing a lot of things to work together, to improve individually, collectively, both on their side of the ball and as a team.”

On the tight ends​

“The tight end is a really important part of our offense. Always has been, always will be. I would consider us a pro-spread type of offense, and the tight end is a big piece of that. Controls the middle of the field and gives us extra gaps and run lanes. A guy who can line up inside with his hand down, off the ball, flex out, is smart enough to know protections and can run the routes, all part of the tree. That’s a big deal in our offense. A personnel matchup issue that we wanna try to expose when we get the right guy out there.

“A lot of competition, a lot of rotation in. They’re all doing a pretty good job. We’re getting CJ (Dippre) back here a little bit. He’s not full-go necessarily but him added to the mix. So it’s been a thin group but it’s, with the addition now here, coming along, and it’s a really, really important part of our team. Being able to do different personnel groupings rather than just be multiple receiver sets is a big deal, and the tight end group has always been in that role.”

On QB cadence​

“I guess I only can really go off of what we’ve done right now, and we haven’t had any problems there. We use our cadence and it’s the clap cadence. Jalen (Milroe), all the quarterbacks have done a good job. I think, from what I see, we haven’t really had any problems at all.”

On how he will use social media in recruiting​

“We added some staff and really have a vision there. I think it’s a big deal. Not just what the average fan but what the recruits and prospects that we’re looking at, what they like and what is attractive to them. Just trying to showcase our program. Also just get our message out, them to understand the culture we’re trying to build here and what all our resources are and who the people are that all work here. Walt Brock is a guy that just stepped foot on campus here this week, and we’re really excited about what I know he can bring through the experiences he’s had in the past and kind of a big picture, but also a very detail-oriented vision that he has for us.”

Updates on Sterling Dixon and Germie Bernard​

"Just minor. Minor stuff. They'll be back. I don't know if they'll be back on Saturday, but they should be back next week. Nothing major."

On freshmen DBs Red Morgan and Zabien Brown​

"Those two in particular - and there's been some others, too - but since you brought them up, they've certainly been highlighted throughout these first five practices. Red made a nice play or two today, and Zabien's been super consistent. Really beyond what you would expect for guys that are so young. It's been really positive with those guys."

On offensive tackles​

"Offensive line-wise, even if you just look at our scholarship numbers, we are short there. And so you need so many to get through a season. Those guys are getting a lot of reps, they're getting a lot of work. They're all getting better. I'm really proud of the way they're just grinding and getting after it every day. But scholarship numbers for the offensive line in general are still just below where we'd like to be going into the fall."

On what he is prioritzing most this spring​

"The football piece and the recruiting piece. Getting the staff aligned and just trying to make sure that we're on the same page with what that practice and execution of the practice is going to look like. That's big. To me, it's getting to know these guys and showing confidence and just acknowledging the growth that we're seeing with them. Challenging them to be even better. That piece with the players, but just the football. Really evaluating how we do everything when it comes to who we are as a team, what our identity is becoming on both sides of the ball.

"The guys are doing a really good job. We're throwing at a lot at them. Throwing a lot at them really fast. Today was some red zone stuff. It just keeps coming. Saturday will be even more. We want to try to get ready for a scrimmage to where we can go up and down the field at any down and distance and every part of the field, we can go run plays and see where we're at."

For the FOG's.

An interesting note from yesterday. You'll have to picture this one in your minds eye.

Much like you'll see the team, in different units, congratulate each other at the end of the fourth quarter of a hard fought, but a W? Practice is ending that way. It's not just the players, it's the support staff and coaches "hugging" each other after a good day.

Significant change. It's a different chemistry in the building.

Just spit ballin' on this comment:

LANK fits with this staff right now.

The Tide dressed in shells inside the Hank Crisp Indoor Facility

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. –
Alabama football conducted its seventh workout of spring football on Tuesday afternoon, dressing in shells inside the Hank Crisp Indoor Facility.

The Crimson Tide will continue practice on Thursday as the Golden Flake A-Day Game gets closer. Alabama will hold its annual intrasquad scrimmage on Saturday, April 13 at 3 p.m. CT. Entry to the event is free for all fans with the game airing live from Bryant-Denny Stadium on ESPN.

Back
Top Bottom