| BSB/SB ðŸ¥Ž Alabama Falls in Monday Slugfest at Florida, 12-7: Wins Series 2-1

RTB.com

Site Administration
Staff
  • Saturday, April 9 – 4 p.m. CT – ESPN
  • Sunday, April 10 – 3 p.m. CT – ESPN2
  • Monday, April 11 – 6 p.m. CT – SEC Network
  • Radio: 97.5 FM | Varsity App | nick975.com

Scouting Alabama​

• Alabama continues SEC play this weekend with a three-game road series at Florida, starting Saturday, April 9
  • All three games will be nationally televised, with Saturday on ESPN at 4 p.m. CT, Sunday on ESPN2 at 3 p.m. CT and Monday on the SEC Network at 6 p.m. CT
  • The Tide is coming off a series win against Georgia last weekend at Rhoads Stadium, rebounding from a game-one loss with a 9-3 win in game two and a 9-0 run-rule win in game three behind Lexi Kilfoyl's perfect game
  • Kilfoyl was named the SEC Pitcher of the Week after a 2-0 weekend against the Bulldogs with just three runs allowed over 13.2 innings pitched
  • Alabama currently leads the SEC with an 8-4 conference record, half a game ahead of Arkansas and Kentucky at 6-3 and Tennessee at 7-4 and one game ahead of Florida and Auburn at 7-5
  • The Tide has scored six or more runs in seven of its last eight games
  • Alabama pitching leads the league in ERA (2.04) and earned runs allowed (68), with Montana Fouts striking out an SEC-leading 165 batters
  • Ally Shipman is second in the league in RBIs, both overall (43) and in SEC play (15)
  • Head Coach Patrick Murphy is in his 24th season as head coach at Alabama with a 1,180-325 (.784) record
  • Alabama returns 11 players from last year's team that made the Women's College World Series semifinals, including a pair of All-Americans in Montana Fouts and Kaylee Tow
  • The Tide welcomes nine newcomers, including three transfers and six freshmen

Auburn is at Arkansas. You'll notice both teams go into today's game with seven conference wins on the season: Auburn with three more losses. A weekend sweep can change the standings quite a bit over a weekend. Look how close it is right now.

Florida is the first of four remaining SEC series and it's going into another quirk in this season's schedule. This will be the second Monday night game. We'll also see a series in the Rhodes House starting Thursday night against State. (@ A&M and closing the season hosting Mizzou.)

Hightower versus the Alabama bats. I believe she's their best pitcher. Walton has a good pitching staff this season. I think they're still leading the SEC in ERA.

Screenshot 2022-04-09 7.37.51 AM.png

Screenshot 2022-04-09 7.38.30 AM.png

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Alabama jumped out to an early lead over Florida and kept the Gators at arm's length for the remainder of the game, earning the 8-3 win in Saturday's series opener.

Alabama (32-5, 9-4 SEC) out-hit Florida (30-8, 7-6 SEC) 12-4, with five players posting multi-hit performances including a season-high three hits from Kaylee Tow and two-hit days from Ashley Prange, Ally Shipman, Jenna Lord and Kat Grill. Lord drove in four of the team's eight RBIs on a pair of two-run doubles, a season high in RBIs for the freshman. Montana Fouts (16-2) went the distance in the circle, striking out 11 for her 10th game this season with double-digit Ks.

Each team went down in order in the first before the Crimson Tide loaded the bases in the top of the second when Lord pulled a double down the left field line to drive in two and give Alabama the first lead of the game. The Tide loaded the bases with one out again in the third and Tow drove the first pitch of her at-bat into shallow center, driving in a pair to make it 4-0 and then Lord followed with her second two-run double of the day two batters later to make it 6-0, forcing an early pitching change for Florida. A Dallis Goodnight RBI single made it 7-0 before a fly ball ended the big inning.

After back-to-back walks to start the bottom of the fourth, Charla Echols broke up the no-hit bid and the shutout with an RBI single to get he Gators on the board. A double in the next at-bat fell into no-man's land to drive in another run and then a walk loaded the bases. A strikeout and flyout put two outs on the board before an infield single moved everyone up 60 feet to score a run, bringing it to 7-3 before a strikeout ended the inning.

A bases-loaded walk to Goodnight in the top of the sixth extended Alabama's lead to 8-3 and Fouts and the Tide defense did the rest, holding Florida scoreless over the remaining two frames to close out the win.

Highlights​

• Alabama is now 44-39 all-time vs. Florida, including the last three meetings and a 22-13 mark in Gainesville
  • The Tide is 25-3 this season when scoring first
  • Alabama has scored six or more runs in eight of its last nine games
  • Today was Jenna Lord's second multi-hit game of the season, driving in a season high four RBIs
  • Ally Shipman extended her hitting streak to a season-best seven games, one shy of tying her career best set last season at Tennessee
  • Kat Grill went 2-for-3, her second-straight multi hit game
  • Today's start marked Montana Fouts' 10th game this season with double-digit Ks and the 38th of her career
  • Ashley Prange extended her reached-base streak to 13 games and Dowling to 10 games

Loved to see Coach Murphy ( You came here for this moment pep talk ) putting it on Dowling in the moment and then for her to deliver, I know that feels good. And a major confidence builder .

Win this evening for a sweep, that would be nice, especially against the Gators at their place.
A bit of a crazy stat ...

Before the ladies headed to Baton Rouge we were talking about how the Tide fared when they were on the road versus LSU: their winning percentage is around .333, if that, after losing the series this year 1-2.

Over these last several years it's been Florida or Alabama for the SEC with Arkansas sneaking in for a share of the regular season last year.

Oddly enough, when Bama has been on the road they've won the last four series in Gainesville: '22, '19, '16, and '14.

LSU is just a weird place to play for the Tide whereas Florida, a better opponent, has been a favorable road series.

Question: I watched game 2 last night and what replay angle could they possibly use to overturn the safe call of Shipman at home? Roe missed the tag and Shipman was called safe on the play. I never saw a replay that clearly showed her getting tagged. I realize you might would assume the tag touched her jersey but never once could you actually see it touch. I would think you would have to go with the call on the field. Obviously in this case we won the game regardless but it took a couple more innings than it would have.

Question: I watched game 2 last night and what replay angle could they possibly use to overturn the safe call of Shipman at home? Roe missed the tag and Shipman was called safe on the play. I never saw a replay that clearly showed her getting tagged. I realize you might would assume the tag touched her jersey but never once could you actually see it touch. I would think you would have to go with the call on the field. Obviously in this case we won the game regardless but it took a couple more innings than it would have.
I thought she was out before 'blue' called her safe.

The throw on Goodnight going into second in the 8th was more questionable to me.

It's on ESPNU right now. Literally, just watched Dallis sliding in.

Replay ... frustrating thing to understand what Birmingham is seeing without any explanations.

Back
Top Bottom