| MBB/WBB Alabama Falls in Final Minutes to Texas A&M, 74-68

How pathetic missing three free throws at the end like that. Free throws are like our field goal kicking. As close to gimmes as you can get and we can't execute, and the other teams do it like it's as simple as tying their shoes.

giphy.gif

200.webp

NIT! NIT! NIT! NIT! NIT!

Jaden Shackelford had 24 points in the loss, marking his third consecutive game of scoring more than 20 points

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – After leading for the first 17 minutes of the second half, the Alabama men's basketball team allowed a late 12-0 run and came up short against Texas A&M, 74-68, in Coleman Coliseum Wednesday night.

The Crimson Tide (14-12, 6-7 SEC) led by as many as nine points in the second half and was clinging to a six-point lead, 62-56, with 4:16 left. However, the Aggies went on a 12-0 run over the next 3:18 to take a 68-62 lead with 58 seconds remaining and held on to steal the victory.

Freshman Jaden Shackelford led Alabama with 24 points, shooting 8-of-17 from the floor and 6-of-15 from three, marking his third consecutive 20-plus point scoring game and his seventh this season. Sophomore guard Kira Lewis Jr. finished with 16 points, connecting on 4-of-10 from beyond-the-arc. Junior John Petty added 11 points and a game-high four assists.

Texas A&M (13-12, 7-6) was led by Quenton Jackson who scored 20 points. Wendell Mitchell finished with 18 points, while Josh Nebo added 14 points and a game-high eight boards.

Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments

"This was a disappointing loss, one we really needed if we're going to make a run at the NCAA tournament. You've got to give Texas A&M a lot of credit, they're playing hard. They outrebounded us and shot the ball well. They haven't shot it as well as they did tonight in any of the games I saw on film. You've got to give their guys a lot of credit. It's a very disappointing loss for us. The one bright spot, in my opinion, was Beetle (Bolden). If you look at the box score, we were +17 in the 17 minutes he was in. That's pretty impressive. I thought he turned the whole game around for us when he came in the first half. I also thought he had the best practice of anybody yesterday. That's kind of how this game works. You come in and practice hard and you get yourself ready to play, then you come here, and you play well in the game. He's a senior and he's seeing the end. It's close and I think he's ready to make sure he goes out like a senior is supposed to go out. I'm proud of Beetle. I got on him pretty hard in practice and coached him harder than anybody else and he responded well. On Tuesday's practice, he came out well and tonight played the best game of anyone. We have got to get this figured out. Some of this is on the coaching staff. We didn't do a great job of attacking the pressure. That's on me, and we've got to get them more prepared to play."

Team Stats

• Alabama finished the game going 16-of-44 from beyond the arc, and have now went 51-of-138 from deep over its last three games alone
  • The Tide led for 22:13 of the game, with 17:46 of that time being in the second half
  • Herbert Jones led the team with five rebounds and three steals, all while playing with one hand after having his left wrist surgically repaired two weeks ago
  • Beetle Bolden finished with six points and had a +/- of +17 in his 17 minutes of action

First Half

• Texas A&M scored the first eight points of the game to take an 8-0 lead at the 16:54 mark of the first half
  • An 11-3 Alabama run tied the game at 11 with 13:16 to play in the opening half
  • Jaylen Forbes converted a three-point play to cut the Texas A&M lead to 20-18 with 7:59 remaining in the first
  • After falling behind 24-18, the Crimson Tide used four consecutive three-pointers to make a 12-0 surge and grab a 30-24 lead with 3:56 to play until halftime
  • Alabama would finish the half on a 16-4 run and lead 34-28 at the half
  • Shackelford led the Tide with 10 first half points while Petty added eight

Second Half

• A Petty triple extended the Tide's lead to 48-41 with 13:28 remaining
  • With 11:32 to go in the game, Alabama held tight to a 48-46 advantage
  • The Tide and Aggies exchanged three-pointers as Alabama clung to a 56-53 lead with 7:55 left in the contest
  • Shackelford completed a three-point play to extend Alabama's lead to 62-56 with 4:18 to go
  • Texas A&M used a 9-0 run to take a 65-62 lead with just 1:47 remaining
  • With the Aggies leading by six, 68-62, with 58 seconds remaining, a three-pointer by Reese made it a 68-65 Aggies lead with 40.8 seconds left
  • After two free-throws by the Aggies made it 70-65, a twisting three-pointer by Lewis cut the Tide's deficit to 70-68
  • The Aggies would close the game with free throws to escape with the 74-68 win

The Tide will return to action on Saturday as it travels to face Ole Miss for their lone meeting of the regular season. The game will top off at 7:30 pm and will be available to watch on SEC Network.

That performance last night has been Alabama basketball in Feb and March for the last 7-8 years. Play like gangbusters for stretches early, but when it comes nut cutting time, lay an egg. So frustrating. It isn't Nate Oats though. I love what he brings. Our guys just have to learn to defend without fouling. Move your damn feet and stop reaching and grabbing.

We settled for 3 pt shots instead of attacking the rim. When you attack the rim you get layouts or get fouled with FT's. TAM shot 27 FT's last night we only shot 9. And a smaller team out rebounded us by 8. Poor decisions and turnovers killed as well.

Last edited:
Played a lot of roundball.
It is a cliche to say one wanted it more then the other. But basketball is a game of desire .. hustle....when it comes to rebounding and practice when it comes to FT. Of course there are a lot of other factors but ......
These dead periods bama goes through are unreal.

It was a disappointing finish but honestly, the most disappointing thing to me was seeing how many fans started hitting the exits with one minute left and just down by three points.

Back
Top Bottom