| MBB/WBB Alabama defeats Chinese National Team to close Foreign Tour 3-0.

Alabama will fly that night into Barcelona, arriving the morning of Saturday, Aug. 6 to begin its three-game, 10-day excursion that will take the team to Barcelona, Spain, and Paris, France.

The Foreign Tour​

• The Crimson Tide will play a total of three games during its time in Europe, competing once in Barcelona and twice in Paris
  • Alabama will be facing some stellar competition overseas in its three contests
  • The Tide's lone game in Barcelona will come against the Spain Select Team on Aug. 8 (7 p.m. local time)
  • In Paris, the Tide will play games on consecutive days, squaring off first against the Lithuania Men's B National Team on Aug. 11 (7:30 local time) followed by the Chinese Men's National Team on Aug. 12 (7:30 p.m. local time)

Trip Details​

• The Foreign Tour begins with a flight to Barcelona on Friday, Aug. 5 and arriving the morning of Aug. 6 at approximately 9 a.m. local time
  • The team will spend several days and play once in Spain before flying to Paris on Aug. 9 where UA will remain until travelling back to the United States
  • The team will depart Paris for the U.S. on Aug. 14, arriving in Tuscaloosa that same evening

For The Fans​

• There will be no live television or radio broadcasts of the Tide's three contests
  • Fans can follow the live in-game action (score updates, photos, videos and interviews) on the official team Twitter account @AlabamaMBB
  • There will be a blog site on RollTide.com that is updated daily which contains photos, videos and more to allow the fans to see what the team is doing each day on the trip
  • For all the latest information on the team, follow AlabamaMBB on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. General athletic news can be found @UA_Athletics on Twitter and Instagram and Alabama Athletics on Facebook.

Gotta create a blue collar mentailty otherwise this offensive phylosophy doesn't work. To many cold spells with the lower percentage shots selection that mandates the D be a lock down D.

BARCELONA – Freshman Brandon Miller scored a game-high 17 points to lead six players in double-figures as Alabama cruised to a 108-64 victory over the Spain Select team Monday night in the first of three games of the team's 2022 Foreign Tour.

Freshmen Rylan Griffen and Noah Clowney each contributed 13 points, while sophomore Charles Bediako along with transfers Mark Sears and Dom Welch all added 11 to lead the way for the Tide.

In all, Crimson Tide newcomers combined to score 85 of Tide's 108 total points in the victory.

Alabama will next be in action Thursday night in Paris against the Lithuania Men's "B" National Team. The team will have one more day in Barcelona before departing for Paris Wednesday morning.

Highlights​

• Leading 27-20 after the first quarter of play, Alabama went on to outscored Spain 81-34 over the final three quarters en route to the win
  • The five Alabama freshmen combined to score 54 points with three reaching double figures
  • Alabama owned a 53-31 advantage on the boards including a 17-8 edge on the offensive glass
    • Miller led UA with seven boards, with Griffen adding six
  • The Tide shot it well from deep, shooting 41 percent and knocking down 11 treys (11-of-27), led by Welch's three three-pointers
  • UA finished 28-of-41 (68 percent) at-the-rim and 41-of-70 (.586) from the floor
  • Sears (6) and Bradley (5) combined for 11 of the team's 23 assists
  • Griffen earned the Hard Hat Award with 15.5 points, outdueling Clowney (14 points) for the first hard hat of the season
  • The Tide finished the game with 108 Blue Collar Points compared to 71 from Spain

Hopefully, the players will gel and become a team during this overseas trip. I still cannot pinpoint exactly what was wrong last year but there was me first players and not team players.

Hopefully, the players will gel and become a team during this overseas trip. I still cannot pinpoint exactly what was wrong last year but there was me first players and not team players.
Not enough guys who hated losing enough. Along with chemistry just being downright awful, no one was held accountable from within the roster. Hogdson, Oats, Pettway, and Henry did everything they could to get guys to buy in, but if the players don't hold each other accountable, it's pointless. Saban dealt with this exact issue in 2010. Oats made it very clear this offseason that leadership was a major key last season. But guys not being mentally tough after adversity hit was the biggest reason for inconsistency. Also, people will only look at recruiting rankings, but Alabama was severely limited both offensively and defensively. Offensiively, Quinerly and JD were our only primary ball handlers, which led to an abundance of turnovers. Especially relying on a freshman in JD to run point. Shack was not a good dribbler at all, and would always take it upon himself to be more than a spot up jumper. Defensively, Shack, JQ, JD, and others were not good on ball defenders.

Just some things we already knew. Fast forward to this year and we should - on paper at least - have a more disruptive defense. A lot will depend on how fast the freshman get used to the pace of CBB, but there's a lot more potential with this roster than last season. And for what it's worth, Oats has stated multiple times that a lot more guys are stepping up and being leaders.

By the way, here's our highlights from the 44-point win. The competition absolutely sucked, but more time for the guys to gel is always better. I also way underestimated players like Griffen and Clowney. They're going to get way more PT this year than expected.

did everything they could to get guys to buy in
I have to disagree with this. I would have trotted out 5 walk-ons for multiple games before I would have put up with the crap from last year. Would they have lost, likely but he would have sent a message if you are not going to play D and give effort you are not going to play I do not care who you are. He had one game where he started a walk on but but he only played the first few minutes as I recall. Not anything that really demands excellence.

Count me as one that is still cautious of Oats but hope I am wrong!!!

I have to disagree with this. I would have trotted out 5 walk-ons for multiple games before I would have put up with the crap from last year. Would they have lost, likely but he would have sent a message if you are not going to play D and give effort you are not going to play I do not care who you are. He had one game where he started a walk on but but he only played the first few minutes as I recall. Not anything that really demands excellence.

Count me as one that is still cautious of Oats but hope I am wrong!!!
He put Britton in multiple times last season early in SEC play. One was against Georgia and it did end up as a loss.

I don't know how we can be cautious about a man who has brought in back to back tournament appearances, the best recruiting class in school history, produced multiple NBA players in a short span, has regular season and conference tournament titles, and a Sweet 16 appearance.

Look I'm not saying Oats doesn't deserve criticism for last season, but there's not a lot you can do when skill wise you're limited and guys refuse to buy in. That also doesn't mean he gets an excuse for it either. But I look at the whole picture, and there were obvious internal issues.

For what it's worth, he will obviously get no passes this year and he will have the most talented roster he's had since he arrived. Starting with a potential top 5 pick in Brandon Miller.

He put Britton in multiple times last season early in SEC play. One was against Georgia and it did end up as a loss.

I don't know how we can be cautious about a man who has brought in back to back tournament appearances, the best recruiting class in school history, produced multiple NBA players in a short span, has regular season and conference tournament titles, and a Sweet 16 appearance.

Look I'm not saying Oats doesn't deserve criticism for last season, but there's not a lot you can do when skill wise you're limited and guys refuse to buy in. That also doesn't mean he gets an excuse for it either. But I look at the whole picture, and there were obvious internal issues.

For what it's worth, he will obviously get no passes this year and he will have the most talented roster he's had since he arrived. Starting with a potential top 5 pick in Brandon Miller.

The Georgia loss did not result from a walk on playing. It resulted from our shitty shooting and lack of hustle outside of Bediako. Which was the entire season's motto.

The Georgia loss did not result from a walk on playing. It resulted from our shitty shooting and lack of hustle outside of Bediako. Which was the entire season's motto.
True, but my point was that Oats sent a message to the team when he played Britton for seven minutes, which was a career long. I don't know what else Oats is supposed to do while trying to win games at the same time.

64-28 at halftime. Insider I know is at the game. Says the only real issue is Bradley doesn't look like a five-star (right now). And he's wearing #11 for some odd season.

*Nimari Burnett and Dom are looking like the best players on the floor so far.

*This is what he said, but the stats say otherwise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom