Alabama colleges and universities: I need a job!

PhillyGirl

Hey yall,

So as some of you know, I am currently in training to be a study abroad advisor/international student advisor at a small university just outside Philly. My job is temporary and ends in early September, so I need to start looking for new jobs. I am looking at being an advisor or assistant in study abroad/international departments for undergraduates at a college/university.

As most of you know, I am dying to move down to the great Yellowhammer state ASAP so naturally, this is my first stop in the job hunt.

I am aware of several schools in the state: UA, UAB, UA Huntsville, U. South Alabama, U. North Alabama, Troy, Birmingham-Southern, Samford, Tuskegee, and last and always least, Auburn (blech). I am most interested in the areas of Tuscaloosa, Mobile, Birmingham, and Muscle Shoals.

Does anyone have any connections to these schools, especially to the international/study abroad offices there? Or any connections, really. Or who can perhaps shed some insight into getting an "in" at one of these schools? I was the runner up for a study abroad advising job at UA a year ago, but lost out because they needed someone ASAP and I still had a month of school to go .. Ugh. But apparently the woman in charge of the UA study abroad department is now at South Alabama, so .. yeah.

Any help at all is much appreciated!! :animbeer7io:

Jax State and Montevallo also have study abroad programs. Through the military, Troy has a very large international program.

My cousin used to work in admissions in Tuscaloosa, but she's an aubrun grad and now works there.

Have you considered taking a non-work abroad position to get your foot in the door down here? Admissions? Academic advisor?

Also, Georgia has a bunch of colleges, too. There may be opportunities to get close to Bama.

RTR,

Tim

I sat next to a young lady on a flight from Dallas to San Diego probably a year ago who does academic advising for UA...wished I would have asked for a card, she totally does what you are looking for.

I would start by sending these folks an email http://gobama.ua.edu/team/. I'm a firm believer in the squeaky wheel idea when looking for a job, you need to let these folks know who you are, what you are looking to do, and how you can help them. Persistence pays off.

Last edited:
I grew up in Florence near The University of North Alabama. I'll check with my parents to see if they
any friends working there. You may also want to check the University of Alabama Huntsville and Alabama A & M. Will pm you if I hear anything.

Another one I didn't see listed with all the others you know about is Judson College. It is an all female baptist college in Marion, Alabama. (BFE) It is close to nothing. If you were to find a job there, I would suggest living in Centreville which is 25 miles south of Tuscaloosa.

Jax State and Montevallo also have study abroad programs. Through the military, Troy has a very large international program.

My cousin used to work in admissions in Tuscaloosa, but she's an aubrun grad and now works there.

Have you considered taking a non-work abroad position to get your foot in the door down here? Admissions? Academic advisor?

Also, Georgia has a bunch of colleges, too. There may be opportunities to get close to Bama.

RTR,

Tim

Thanks for the info!

I have definitely looked at non-abroad positions. I have applied to several in admissions and academic advising. Hoping one of those works at some point, if not study abroad.

My dream is Alabama but I am also looking at Georgia and North Carolina.

Back
Top Bottom