| NEWS Alabama Basketball and Top Prospect in State Parting Ways - Sports Illustrated

B

Bama News

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. — The top basketball player in the state of Alabama was committed to the Crimson Tide.

Now he's looking for somewhere else to go.

Combo guard R.J. Johnson, from Huntsville, Ala., is requesting a release of his Letter of Intent to The University of Alabama.

The No. 21 guard in the Class of 2023 committed to Alabama on Aug. 26, 2022.

Now, the Grissom High product is reopening his recruitment. He previously drew interest from the likes of Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, Florida State and Florida Atlantic — a program in this weekend's Final Four.

The Crimson Tide already suffered the loss of Nimari Burnett this week — who is entering the portal.

Alabama is also losing assistant coaches Bryan Hodgson and Charlie Henry from this year's staff.

The Crimson Tide picked up four-stars Sam Walters and Mouhamed Dioubate in this recruiting class.

Kris Parker remains committed. And on just Tuesday, Alabama picked up Wichita State transfer Jaykwon Walton.

but it seems like It could be combination of things not involving bama
I can't think of a conversation this season about Johnson joining the Tide and how he'd fit. When the news of his situation broke—and as I recall it was before the season—no one I know had him on the '23-'24 roster. We've talked more about the manager's games this season than RJ.

I've heard rumor he was given a PWO. I can't say for sure.

I can't think of a conversation this season about Johnson joining the Tide and how he'd fit. When the news of his situation broke—and as I recall it was before the season—no one I know had him on the '23-'24 roster. We've talked more about the manager's games this season than RJ.

I've heard rumor he was given a PWO. I can't say for sure.
Everyone I've talked to in this town have been quiet about his situation, not offering lot of details. I wouldn't be shocked if he drops down to D2 schools... or go G league.

The minimum age to play in the G League is 18, unlike the NBA which requires players to be 19 years old and one year out of high school in order to sign an NBA contract or be eligible for the draft. The base annual salary is US$35,000 plus housing and insurance benefits.

The minimum age to play in the G League is 18, unlike the NBA which requires players to be 19 years old and one year out of high school in order to sign an NBA contract or be eligible for the draft. The base annual salary is US$35,000 plus housing and insurance benefits.
Didn't know it was different. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom