| NEWS đźŹ€ Alabama 77 - Vanderbilt 62 : Bama earns 1st road win of the season

Was it ugly? Hell yeah it was ugly!!!! Was it a win? Hell yeah!! Any win in that house of horrors is a good win!!! Memorial Gym is the Jordan Hare of basketball. That place has some freaky voodoo going on for it.

I'm in this boat. The good thing is, we can fix everything we did wrong. Vanderbilt, although depleted, has some good talent that did not quit. A lot of folks are only seeing our turnovers, but not noticing how well we shot from the field. I'll take 46% and 35% from three on what was considered a bad night any day of the week. Get turnovers to a number we have been averaging per game and we score more points, shoot higher from the field, and walk away from teams. We aren't gonna be on every single gsme, but like I said before the game, just survive during these kind of nights and win and it'll all be ok.

Last night was a big to get that first, true road win. Bama has had a less than stellar record at Memorial Gym over the years. Bottom line, its a very difficult place to play with the elevated floor, benches along the baseline and wide, open area along the sidelines. Well take an ugly win everyday of the week.

On the technical side of things, it seems like teams are figuring out the Nate Oats strategy of spreading the floor, driving in the lane or along the baseline with the intention of kicking it out for the 3 point shot. Also, on a defensive rebound bama wants to get the ball out quickly to the ball handlers so they can run. Defenders know that, so instead of playing the guy with the ball they move towards where they expect the pass to go to. Seems like a lot of this is easy to anticipate so Oats will need to adjust and become less predictable.

Not trying to pick a battle or anything, BUT A LOT of those turnovers came from lazy, ill advised passes. You can't throw the ball through the defense from wing to opposite corner and it not get picked or deflected. I saw 7-8 such pass attempts last night. Lobbing the ball across court or down court and the intended target just stand there and wait on the ball and not move toward it will get swiped more times than not.
I don't think it is really anyone figuring out what Oats is doing offensively. I do think it is just being lazy between the ears.

Not trying to pick a battle or anything, BUT A LOT of those turnovers came from lazy, ill advised passes. You can't throw the ball through the defense from wing to opposite corner and it not get picked or deflected. I saw 7-8 such pass attempts last night. Lobbing the ball across court or down court and the intended target just stand there and wait on the ball and not move toward it will get swiped more times than not.
I don't think it is really anyone figuring out what Oats is doing offensively. I do think it is just being lazy between the ears.
This. If it was my coach in High school and I pulled something like that.. he would've lit me up and would've chewed me out during and after the game and then in practice next day. He always said that if you gonna pull a sloppy pass.. better pray that it results in a positive play cuz he was going get us if we failed based on a sloppy play. Most of sloppy passes were by Petty and Lewis.

Wasn't taking what you were saying as picking a fight. I saw some of the lazy pass stuff to. But I also saw what I described where defenders were anticipating he pass and stepped in the passing lane and stole the ball. With 25 turnovers there was certainly enough for both of these to be true.

@mando @UAgrad93 one thought I had last night was defenders over playing passing lanes led to a half a dozen or more rebounds... part of the differential we saw between the two teams.
I guess there are two sides to any strategy. So you agreed they seemed to be over playing the passing lanes in some cases. With that strategy I guess it does take people away from the basket. Risk/reward D.

Not wanting it to sound like I am panicking off of one game. The trend in terms of turnovers has been moving in the right direction. Last night was certainly an outlier.

Wasn't taking what you were saying as picking a fight. I saw some of the lazy pass stuff to. But I also saw what I described where defenders were anticipating he pass and stepped in the passing lane and stole the ball. With 25 turnovers there was certainly enough for both of these to be true.
I’m ok with that. Like @TerryP said, they were over playing passing lanes and it bit them in the ass on the boards. We could probably break the turnovers down into different categories like overplaying the lanes, lazy passes, not moving to the pass, and just plain dumb passes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom