| FTBL After release from Raiders, McCarron signs one year deal with Texans

I believe Chace Daniels has set the bar on how to make millions in the NFL while wearing a baseball hat...…….can you feel me

Matt Shaub just got paid like four million dollars despite the fact that he's thrown like four passes in the last four years. Granted he was a starter for several years and a solid one at that before he became Mr. backup.

He just needs to find the right circumstance for some longevity in the NFL. He probably had that with Cincy but Marvin Lewis leaving may have eventually messed that up anyway. The Texans have shown some stability lately and as often as Watson goes down AJ could see some action sooner rather than later.

Draw that check and stay ready

Well if and his wife can limit themselves to 200K per year then 3 million gives him 15 years so he will be around 44 when the piggy bank is empty just from this 3 million of this contract. Oakland had already paid him 5 million when they signed him last year. I don't see anything about guaranteed money in this 3 million deal so he is on the clock once camp starts.

Well if and his wife can limit themselves to 200K per year then 3 million gives him 15 years so he will be around 44 when the piggy bank is empty just from this 3 million of this contract. Oakland had already paid him 5 million when they signed him last year. I don't see anything about guaranteed money in this 3 million deal so he is on the clock once camp starts.

He had to have made good with that Buffalo contract, and I know he made steady cash with the Bengals, right?

Absent an injury, AJ will be entering his sixth season in the league, quite an achievement. That would put him past Croyle, and one and two years short of equaling Hunter and Gilmer, respectively. Beyond them are the top five Bama QB tenures in the NFL: Todd (11), Namath (13), Rutledge (14), Stabler (15) and Starr (16).

It certainly beats being a bond or insurance salesman.

RTR,

Tim

____

This Alabama Quarterback Wants to Be Your Insurance Salesman --- Ex-players like Jake Coker are now
in a league of their own -- selling policies

By Brian Costa 993 words
7 January 2019
The Wall Street Journal
Copyright 2019 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

One day three years ago, Jake Coker's job attracted a television audience of more than 26 million.
As the University of Alabama's starting quarterback, he threw two touchdowns to help the Crimson
Tide beat Clemson University in the national college football championship.

On Monday, when Alabama and Clemson meet again for the title, Mr. Coker will be performing in front
of a smaller crowd -- a few regional business owners in Alabama. He will try to make them fans of
property and casualty insurance.

"If your building somehow gets destroyed," Mr. Coker says, "you need to be covered."

Alabama and Clemson, meeting in the College Football Playoff for the fourth year in a row, have
dominated college football for so long that a prominent player from their first title game is now
an insurance salesman. After his bid to make the National Football League fizzled, Mr. Coker joined
what has become a league unto itself: former college football players who sell insurance.

Members include Craig Krenzel, the quarterback who led Ohio State to a national championship in
2002, and an array of prominent ex-players in the Southeast.

Among Mr. Coker's local competitors in Mobile, Ala., is one of his college rivals, former Auburn
football captain Reese Dismukes. His other regional foes include former Auburn quarterback Ben
Leard and former Georgia stars David Greene and Matt Stinchcomb.

Most of them played quarterback. Nearly all of them sell the same particular type of insurance:
commercial property and casualty, which covers damages such as fires and related liabilities.

"We compete against each other just like we did back in our playing days," says Mr. Leard, a senior
vice president at J. Smith Lanier & Co., a Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC company.

The insurance business has become such a well-known Plan B for aspiring NFL quarterbacks that some
are relieved specifically to avoid it. Tom Brady, the New England Patriots star, once summed up his
sentiment upon being drafted in 2000 by saying in an interview for a documentary: "I was so
excited, I was like, 'I don't have to be an insurance salesman!'"

But most college players eventually need a regular day job. Many of them find it in the places
where they remain local celebrities, sometimes working for alumni or supporters of the schools for
which they played. And they find it in a line of work where their name recognition gives them a
distinct advantage: They are the rare insurance salesmen whom total strangers are actually excited
to meet.

"When you call somebody and you say your name, t w
who they're talking to," Mr. Coker says. "It kind of gives them a blanket of trust."

The league of quarterbacks-turned-insurance-salesmen spans the country. Tony Graziani, who helped
lead Oregon to the 1996 Cotton Bowl title and spent four seasons in the NFL, sells property and
casualty, along with health and life insurance in Bend, Ore. "Love it," he says.

But it is particularly concentrated in areas where college football attracts religious devotion.

A few of the ex-quarterbacks say it is no coincidence they ended up on the same side of the
business. They point to the competitiveness of sales, coupled with the problem-solving nature of
commercial insurance. "It requires an analytical yet creative thought process, which to me takes
you right back to the quarterback position," says Mr. Krenzel, principal of Arthur Krenzel Lett
Insurance Group in Dublin, Ohio, not far from the Ohio State University campus.

But others in the business point to another factor. The people they are courting to buy property
and casualty

insurance are some of the most likely fans of area college football teams.

"There are a lot of business owners who are big Alabama football fans," says Chris Boone, an
executive with the agency that hired Mr. Coker, BXS Insurance Inc. "They would be naturally
inclined to receive Jake for an appointment."

Mr. Coker signed with the Arizona Cardinals as an undrafted free agent in 2016 but was cut during
the preseason. Back in Alabama, a former university trustee who runs a stevedoring and cargo
shipping company gave him his first job, Mr. Coker says. Ten months after the national championship
game, Mr. Coker was spending his days loading timber onto trucks.

"You go from flying first class -- you ask for something, you have it -- and then you get away from
that and you're on your own," he says.

It was through a friend who works at BXS that Mr. Coker landed his job there last summer. Mr.
Leard, the former Auburn quarterback who works not far from campus, was hired by the former CFO of
his agency, who is a financial booster of the school's athletics program.

As the former players have learned, their local fame hardly assures them of winning new business.

Mr. Greene, who set a National Collegiate Athletic Association record with 42 wins as quarterback
of the Georgia Bulldogs from 2001 to 2004, sells commercial property and casualty insurance for
Sterling Seacrest Partners in Atlanta. He says prospective clients' interest isn't always what it
seems.

"Some people will say, 'Hey, my grandson loves the Dawgs, so I really want to meet. Can you sign a
ball for my grandson?'" Mr. Greene says. "But they really don't have any intention of doing
business with you."

While Alabama and Clemson play on Monday night in Santa Clara, Calif., Mr. Coker says he will be on
a weeklong trip to Birmingham, Ala., to meet with existing and prospective clients.

"I need to find a good spot to watch the game," he says. "Hopefully, I'll find a little bar with
some Bama fans." License this article from Dow Jones Reprint Service

Document J000000020190107ef1700023

Absent an injury, AJ will be entering his sixth season in the league, quite an achievement. That would put him past Croyle, and one and two years short of equaling Hunter and Gilmer, respectively. Beyond them are the top five Bama QB tenures in the NFL: Todd (11), Namath (13), Rutledge (14), Stabler (15) and Starr (16).

It certainly beats being a bond or insurance salesman.

RTR,

Tim

____

This Alabama Quarterback Wants to Be Your Insurance Salesman --- Ex-players like Jake Coker are now
in a league of their own -- selling policies

By Brian Costa 993 words
7 January 2019
The Wall Street Journal
Copyright 2019 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

One day three years ago, Jake Coker's job attracted a television audience of more than 26 million.
As the University of Alabama's starting quarterback, he threw two touchdowns to help the Crimson
Tide beat Clemson University in the national college football championship.

On Monday, when Alabama and Clemson meet again for the title, Mr. Coker will be performing in front
of a smaller crowd -- a few regional business owners in Alabama. He will try to make them fans of
property and casualty insurance.

"If your building somehow gets destroyed," Mr. Coker says, "you need to be covered."

Alabama and Clemson, meeting in the College Football Playoff for the fourth year in a row, have
dominated college football for so long that a prominent player from their first title game is now
an insurance salesman. After his bid to make the National Football League fizzled, Mr. Coker joined
what has become a league unto itself: former college football players who sell insurance.

Members include Craig Krenzel, the quarterback who led Ohio State to a national championship in
2002, and an array of prominent ex-players in the Southeast.

Among Mr. Coker's local competitors in Mobile, Ala., is one of his college rivals, former Auburn
football captain Reese Dismukes. His other regional foes include former Auburn quarterback Ben
Leard and former Georgia stars David Greene and Matt Stinchcomb.

Most of them played quarterback. Nearly all of them sell the same particular type of insurance:
commercial property and casualty, which covers damages such as fires and related liabilities.

"We compete against each other just like we did back in our playing days," says Mr. Leard, a senior
vice president at J. Smith Lanier & Co., a Marsh & McLennan Agency LLC company.

The insurance business has become such a well-known Plan B for aspiring NFL quarterbacks that some
are relieved specifically to avoid it. Tom Brady, the New England Patriots star, once summed up his
sentiment upon being drafted in 2000 by saying in an interview for a documentary: "I was so
excited, I was like, 'I don't have to be an insurance salesman!'"

But most college players eventually need a regular day job. Many of them find it in the places
where they remain local celebrities, sometimes working for alumni or supporters of the schools for
which they played. And they find it in a line of work where their name recognition gives them a
distinct advantage: They are the rare insurance salesmen whom total strangers are actually excited
to meet.

"When you call somebody and you say your name, t w
who they're talking to," Mr. Coker says. "It kind of gives them a blanket of trust."

The league of quarterbacks-turned-insurance-salesmen spans the country. Tony Graziani, who helped
lead Oregon to the 1996 Cotton Bowl title and spent four seasons in the NFL, sells property and
casualty, along with health and life insurance in Bend, Ore. "Love it," he says.

But it is particularly concentrated in areas where college football attracts religious devotion.

A few of the ex-quarterbacks say it is no coincidence they ended up on the same side of the
business. They point to the competitiveness of sales, coupled with the problem-solving nature of
commercial insurance. "It requires an analytical yet creative thought process, which to me takes
you right back to the quarterback position," says Mr. Krenzel, principal of Arthur Krenzel Lett
Insurance Group in Dublin, Ohio, not far from the Ohio State University campus.

But others in the business point to another factor. The people they are courting to buy property
and casualty

insurance are some of the most likely fans of area college football teams.

"There are a lot of business owners who are big Alabama football fans," says Chris Boone, an
executive with the agency that hired Mr. Coker, BXS Insurance Inc. "They would be naturally
inclined to receive Jake for an appointment."

Mr. Coker signed with the Arizona Cardinals as an undrafted free agent in 2016 but was cut during
the preseason. Back in Alabama, a former university trustee who runs a stevedoring and cargo
shipping company gave him his first job, Mr. Coker says. Ten months after the national championship
game, Mr. Coker was spending his days loading timber onto trucks.

"You go from flying first class -- you ask for something, you have it -- and then you get away from
that and you're on your own," he says.

It was through a friend who works at BXS that Mr. Coker landed his job there last summer. Mr.
Leard, the former Auburn quarterback who works not far from campus, was hired by the former CFO of
his agency, who is a financial booster of the school's athletics program.

As the former players have learned, their local fame hardly assures them of winning new business.

Mr. Greene, who set a National Collegiate Athletic Association record with 42 wins as quarterback
of the Georgia Bulldogs from 2001 to 2004, sells commercial property and casualty insurance for
Sterling Seacrest Partners in Atlanta. He says prospective clients' interest isn't always what it
seems.

"Some people will say, 'Hey, my grandson loves the Dawgs, so I really want to meet. Can you sign a
ball for my grandson?'" Mr. Greene says. "But they really don't have any intention of doing
business with you."

While Alabama and Clemson play on Monday night in Santa Clara, Calif., Mr. Coker says he will be on
a weeklong trip to Birmingham, Ala., to meet with existing and prospective clients.

"I need to find a good spot to watch the game," he says. "Hopefully, I'll find a little bar with
some Bama fans." License this article from Dow Jones Reprint Service

Document J000000020190107ef1700023

Still,
Jacob Coker is the only Alabama QB in history to win every game he started for the Crimson Tide. It all evens out, just saying.

That's not really fair to Coker. He retired because he messed up his knee again.

I was just noting AJ's longevity. Do you mean the article is unfair to Coker, Leard, Krenzel, Graziati, Greene and Stinchcomb? There are many, many great college QB's who never make a team. Healthy, I thought Coker was a longshot, with a really strong arm but a slow wind-up compared to others.

RTR,

Tim

I was just noting AJ's longevity. Do you mean the article is unfair to Coker, Leard, Krenzel, Graziati, Greene and Stinchcomb? There are many, many great college QB's who never make a team. Healthy, I thought Coker was a longshot, with a really strong arm but a slow wind-up compared to others.

RTR,

Tim

I just meant the "better than being an insurance salesman line." Coker was on a roster when he blew his knee out again. At the least I think he would be in the AAF.

I just meant the "better than being an insurance salesman line." Coker was on a roster when he blew his knee out again. At the least I think he would be in the AAF.

Making $3 million is better than being an insurance salesman. That was meant to be a pro-AJ comment, not a negative on the players mentioned in the article, just like AJ lasting one year longer than Brodie isn't a knock on Brodie, or JPW, or anyone else he's outlasted. Coker's probably making more selling insurance than the $70,000 he'd make as an AAF QB, and he has a jump on what will likely be a good career. To Coker's benefit, selling P&C is probably a heck of a lot better than loading timber trucks, too. The institutional bond guys do pretty well, too. Cory Reamer's been doing that for several years - I usually see him at a conference each year.

RTR,

Tim