| OT After 42 years, Egan's Bar to close this weekend. How many can say, "Been there, Done that."

After 42 years as that oddball, free-wheeling spot on the Strip in Tuscaloosa, Egan's will soon become Unique.

Literally named Unique, that is, under new ownership; not the definition of unique, "the only one of its kind," or as it's often used, to mean special, different or interesting. For the Egan's family, it's long been that.

Unique is the moniker new owners Chris Coleman and Mac Maddox have chosen for the venerable venue at the corner of University Boulevard and Red Drew Avenue.

Patrons over 42 years of Egan's Bar saw it as a home-away-from-domicile, one that proudly boasted over its front door "Thick Smoke, Dim Lights and Loud Music." While the old Chukker existed downtown — it closed Halloween 2003 — Egan's was a sort of adjunct open-minded bar, a place that stood out in the midst of student-oriented or themed bars as a grand dive, one beating with a big, warm heart.

Ugh, sounds too new school for me to respect it. Damn Tuscaloosa getting this facelift and trendy vibe.

Been to Egan's a few times. Had zero issues with its atmosphere and enjoyed myself. Watch my cousin DJ there once a few years back.

When we went to the strip, we usually went to the Houndstooth. I did go to Egan's a couple of times.

I wanted to try Rounders a few years back and they tried charging my wife and me a $40 cover each. I said "f$/k no, you kidding me". We had just beat Tennessee like 19-14 on a late fourth quarter Henry touchdown, and I was ready to drop some coin, but simply turned around and went to Gallettes. I refuse to pay a cover as a grown man that has the capacity to essentially make my space in the bar worth it. Sadly, they didn't miss us with the line a half mile long behind us to get in.

When we went to the strip, we usually went to the Houndstooth. I did go to Egan's a couple of times.
It all depended on my mood. If I wanted to "hang out" there were a few places I'd hit: Egan's a few times,and a place just down from there next to "12's" location, The Back Porch. Those were my "kick back, shoot the shit" bars.

Houndstooth I went to strictly to talk football. There was a group that stopped by daily from around 2ish up until Happy Hour was kicking off...we just talked football.

Ya know, the guy that owned that property is the same guy that owns and operates Rama Jamma's.

Back
Top Bottom