| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC A sequel 40 years in the making, Mel Brooks' History of the World PART II. A four night event, streaming March 6 on Hulu.

Got to love Mel Brooks, 92 years old and still at it. I'm glad he didn't let Space Balls stop him. Between Brooks and Norman Lear, who turned 100 last year and also is still working, they have almost 150 years work experience between them. Lear started working in 1948, Brooks in 1950. Truly astonishing.

Reviews are bad. I plan to watch it this weekend, or at least attempt to. The main thing I hear is that it is like bad SNL skits instead of something you would expect from Brooks. And it is cheaply made.

I haven't had a chance to stream it yet and probably won't be able to until the weekend after next. With Seth Rogan, the bad SNL comparison seems probable though.

Reviews are bad. I plan to watch it this weekend, or at least attempt to. The main thing I hear is that it is like bad SNL skits instead of something you would expect from Brooks. And it is cheaply made.
If you click on the video that in this thread you will see some highlight. So far what I saw it won't be better than his first one.

If you click on the video that in this thread you will see some highlight. So far what I saw it won't be better than his first one.
I watched the first episode. Most of it sucks. Some of it was OK. Nothing was great. The Kama Sutra scene was more like the original than most anything else. Way too much trying to take history and put them in current situations without really trying (Anastasia Romanov as an influencer?).
Hitler on Ice wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either.

I watched the first episode. Most of it sucks. Some of it was OK. Nothing was great. The Kama Sutra scene was more like the original than most anything else. Way too much trying to take history and put them in current situations without really trying (Anastasia Romanov as an influencer?).
Hitler on Ice wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either.
The highlight show this to me. Most of the time that second movie isn't as good as the first! The way Hollywood is today, just look at any TV show or movie, someone will be an ABC person.

The highlight show this to me. Most of the time that second movie isn't as good as the first! The way Hollywood is today, just look at any TV show or movie, someone will be an ABC person.
I knew it wouldn't be very good, especially compared to the original. But I had to give it a try. I will finish it just in case there are some really good parts but it will more run in the background while I do other things. Maybe I'll let it run while I code during the work day.

That's how I watch 80% of what I do...as you can tell, I watch a little bit. It's another reason I work off hours...you can play whatever the hell you want to with no interruption.
I used to be able to work off hours, but moving more into the API space (especially conversion from manual terminal emulation to automated API taht I have to help them design) means more interaction with groups at other companies so more 9-5 meetings. If I work my old off hours I still have to go to those so I just adjusted my schedule. I hate it too.

Three episodes in. Kinda getting seasick. This has too many ups and downs. Jack Black as Stalin, Taika Wititi as Freud, and Tyler James Williams as Mason Dixon (this guy's great on Abbott Elementary) have been good so far.

Three episodes in. Kinda getting seasick. This has too many ups and downs. Jack Black as Stalin, Taika Wititi as Freud, and Tyler James Williams as Mason Dixon (this guy's great on Abbott Elementary) have been good so far.
To me it's been like watching a police drama and knowing who is guilty in the first few minutes. I've seen the "jokes" coming ... it's like a skit taking 10 minutes to get to the punch line.

Back
Top Bottom