| FTBL A rudimentary rundown of Kane Wommack's 4-2-5 defense for those interested...

Brandon Van de Graaff

A defensive deity, inventor of the Concussion.
Staff
Ok, here's an elementary level refreshment on the terminology changes and the overall scheme... Most are probably well aware of these at this point (and we've covered them multiple times since Wommack's hire), but here's a bit of an all-encompassing breakdown on the basics again for those who missed the other posts or maybe didn't fully understand the previous explanations...

The 4-2-5 Swarm defense Kane Wommack runs is an evolution from the 4-2-5 version that his dad Dave Wommack ran (and helped design) during his long coaching career (he retired after the 2016 season as the Ole Miss defensive coordinator under Hugh Freeze). If you want to get real technical, you could call it a 3-3-5 defense, but it's pointless getting lost in the numbers of it either way. A basic note on this defense which will aid in understanding other parts of it, is the defensive alignment isn't based on formation (where the TE lines up, for example), it's based on the field and the boundary (sideline). One advantage of that is, if a player goes into motion and flips the "strong" side, the defense doesn't have to make as many adjustments, since the strong side isn't determined by alignment (though there will be some occasions when this defense will revert to the more traditional way and base it off the offensive formation such as the TE or WR alignment).

As far as position names/terminology as it compares to Saban's more recent defense... Along the defensive line you'll still have the Nose Guard along with a Defensive Tackle. In addition, you'll have the Bandit (who was an Edge LB in Saban's defense), think strongside defensive end. Now, the 4th player along the line of scrimmage is considered a linebacker in this defense, a Wolf LB (formerly, a Jack, Sam, Edge). The Wolf is a pass rusher who also maintains some coverage responsibilities depending on calls, formations, etc. Behind them at the more "traditional" linebacker spots, we have the Mike LB (middle LB) and the Sting LB (weakside LB). On the back end of the defense you'll see the 2 cornerbacks, the Boundary CB (plays the side closest to the boundary) and the Field CB. The Rover (strong safety), Free Safety, and Huskey (Star, slot CB) will round out the defense. The Husky, in some ways, is like the Wolf of the backend... they will have some dynamic responsibilities. In most cases, the Bandit and Husky line up to the field side with the Wolf lined up to the boundary (or weak side).

Just some notes on some things to expect under this new scheme with Wommack...

-In terms of overall differences from Saban's defense to Wommack's... it isn't night and day changes. Think of it as the overall body is the same, but underneath, the skeleton has some significant differences. But if you're just looking at it on the surface, Saban's nickel defense (which pretty much became the base defense a while ago) and Wommack's 4-2-5, will look very similar when lined up.

-The defense line will be more aggressive... shooting gaps more as opposed to the gap-control defense we saw under Saban. Creating negative plays is the goal there, and gap shooting, stunts, etc. is the tool.

-The inside LB's will have more freedom, something they have even been saying publicly in interviews themselves. Again, the overall theme is to create negative plays in the run game and put pressure on the QB in the passing game... the LB's will be a huge part of that.

-The safeties will be heavily involved in blitz packages and moved around to give different looks, but the defensive backs as a whole will try to keep any home run plays from being hit. The flipside to that is, there will be opportunities underneath, more than we were used to seeing under a Saban defense, but in theory, we should also see fewer successful long ball plays against this defense.

-By design, this defense is less about containment and more about trying to create havoc in the offensive backfield. Sacks are great, but Saban used to preach, affecting the QB is just as important... This defense sets out to affect things behind the LOS, which often leads to positive things by other means.

-A staple of Wommack's defense is the physicality they play with. I hate the word physicality, but I'm not sure how else to describe it. He's an intense coach, a coach who knows how to reach his guys, and a guy who his players have full faith and trust in. That's a combo of things that has been missing some in recent years... though Steele was ok with it (his age just hurt him some). Point is, that stuff rubs off on his defense. It was a skill set that guys like Kirby and Pruitt had as well. And while I'm not putting Wommack on their level right now, having those traits in his DNA is huge, IMO.

-Pattern match coverage on defense will not go away completely, but will be much less prominent. When it worked under Saban, it was certainly beneficial... but most view it as outdated, and it certainly led to more than a few costly coverage busts over the years as well. I think we are likely to still see it in some cases (like against spread teams), but nothing like we saw under Saban. Overall, you’ll see much more zone, much less man to man coverage. Along those lines, that brings me to the next point...

-The defense overall is much easier to learn for players, especially for the defensive backs. This will mean younger players will see playing time earlier in their tenure. While Saban carried the pro mindset of not subbing guys as much as other coaches, there was also an issue that it took a lot of the younger players a long time to learn their assignments and earn the necessary trust. It wasn't by chance that when many Bama players got to the NFL, they adjusted right away... for many, the schemes were actually easier. However, while the assignments and overall scheme may be easier to pick up for younger players now, it's worth mentioning that from an athletic standpoint, this system requires players who don't lack speed and physicality. Overall, this is a Swiss Army style defense that's designed to adapt to how an opposing offense operates, but for it to work as intended, it needs those high level athletes who are able to do multiple things really well. The good news is, they should have very little trouble luring those types of athletes to Alabama... they've been doing it for years and continue to do so under the new staff.

-Lastly, this needs to be said... this defense isn't perfect. It will have issues and occasional breakdowns. The aggressive nature alone will lend itself to the propensity to give up big plays at times. Teams with good QB play will get hot some games and move the chains at a frustrating pace. There's pros and cons to all of it, even Saban's schemes. You'll remember, Saban owned Mike Leach's (who I still miss tremendously) offense... but was susceptible to a guy like Heupel (and I use those 2 specific examples for a reason). You'll see similar cases with this defense, there is no perfect scheme, especially with the ever-evolving offenses and dynamic skill players we are seeing these days.

Glad to see less complex scheme..That means a lot less clean jerseys after the game… A lot of the guys can learn and retain the defense, means a lot less “hands on the hips”..more rotation= less injury..

Exactly. It felt like 2nd string development had really fallen off towards the end of the Saban era
I hope I’m not screaming “fresh legs” or “put someone else in!” Because we are getting gashed in critical moments of the game.. those guys are human and they do need a breather… and certainly a fresh guy can generate a rush against the gassed offensive lineman, when we need it..

Great breakdown, @Brandon Van de Graaf. I really enjoyed that.

I'm excited to see what the new scheme looks like. For a few years now I've thought the impact of negative plays (TFL's, Sacks) was much more impactful than consistent "gap control" or "do your job" type of defense, because of the way it's officiated and how the offense was much more likely to make plays eventually. IMO, the negative plays are the best and sometimes only way to stifle well coached, talented offenses (largely due to the way physicality has been legislated out of the game).

Ultimately, I still think the pass rush will make or break the defense. Thats considering the run defense is formidable or better. The pass rushers can hide a lot of mistakes on the back end and/or create the TO's. In most big game losses over the last few years, it's been somewhat non-existant.

Thanks again for the quality analysis. That's big time for a part time dummy like myself playing catch up!

Will the db's get to play the ball or keep playing position and make the qb make tough throws? Imo a really accurate or mobile qb was key to beating Saban's d. The accurate ones could put it in tight windows even though the dB was covering because they didn't play the ball and mobile ones extended plays and the dbs couldn't keep tight coverage forever.

It's more eyes on the QB than playing in and out of phase.

...accurate AND mobile QB...
I agree that if they were both they were the kryptonite but imo cam Newton for example was only mobile but still caused issues which is really going to happen in any man coverage d. He was forcing the qb to hit really tight windows with the coverage design but I'm ready to see some pics, on the other hand I don't wanna see the missed play on the ball that leads to easy td's but I guess they come with it.

Thanks for the breakdown @Brandon Van de Graaff . Understanding the X & O's are important for sure. But for me it is more refreshing to hear that Wommack has a physciality MOXY that has been sorely missed for a while.

For me, I look at two things about a good defense before scheme. 1st. Excellent Fundamentals. Open field tackling, taking the right angles, intense contact. 2nd. Low penalties. Every once in a while the penalties happen & in some cases there are good penalties (pass interference on a obvouius TD, for example). Then and only then is it about 3rd. Scheme. Now sometimes scheme can affect both fundamentals & penalties, especially if the team hasn't picked up the scheme.

Defenses must have the mentality that they will NOT be dictated any terms by the other teams offense. When I played guard I could tell in 4 plays if another team was physically/fundamentally sound. If they didn't, we didn't have to get cute with plays, we could just play about 4-5 plays all game long & they'd be done. I am eager to see how Wommack has his guys ready to impose their will on the other team.

Thanks for the breakdown @Brandon Van de Graaff . Understanding the X & O's are important for sure. But for me it is more refreshing to hear that Wommack has a physciality MOXY that has been sorely missed for a while.

For me, I look at two things about a good defense before scheme. 1st. Excellent Fundamentals. Open field tackling, taking the right angles, intense contact. 2nd. Low penalties. Every once in a while the penalties happen & in some cases there are good penalties (pass interference on a obvouius TD, for example). Then and only then is it about 3rd. Scheme. Now sometimes scheme can affect both fundamentals & penalties, especially if the team hasn't picked up the scheme.

Defenses must have the mentality that they will NOT be dictated any terms by the other teams offense. When I played guard I could tell in 4 plays if another team was physically/fundamentally sound. If they didn't, we didn't have to get cute with plays, we could just play about 4-5 plays all game long & they'd be done. I am eager to see how Wommack has his guys ready to impose their will on the other team.

Penalties, we'll just have to wait and see... could be a week to week thing with how some of these crews are too, it's a wild card. Feel confident saying they are getting coached well on fundamentals... On their overall physical approach, if they play on Saturday's like they did in the scrimmage this past weekend, it'll be a violent bunch.

Penalties, we'll just have to wait and see... could be a week to week thing with how some of these crews are too, it's a wild card. Feel confident saying they are getting coached well on fundamentals... On their overall physical approach, if they play on Saturday's like they did in the scrimmage this past weekend, it'll be a violent bunch.
So what is your opinion on “second string (and beyond) development?..We are going to have a “Swarm” defense.. That will mean the players will exhaust quicker…So what are they doing (other than good recruiting) to ensure our “next men up” can be trusted..For years we depended too much on our starters.. When our starters went down the next man up was just grossly underprepared…
The league has been allowed more players on the sidelines, during a season… So either a JV league is going to have to come… Or mandatory substitutions will have to be made during games.. they’re gonna have to find a way to keep these players happy..

Excellent breakdown of the defense! Overall, I am just hoping to see less confusion by the defense. IMO, I thought our defense was too complicated at times for our young players. I am also hoping to see less big gains given up by the secondary this year on 3rd down.

If you want to get real technical, you could call it a 3-3-5 defense,
Yea, this occurred to me when I thought how a 250-lbs Wolf can be considered a proper lineman.
In addition, you'll have the Bandit (who was an Edge LB in Saban's defense), think strongside defensive end.
Bandits are in the 275-280 lbs range. Saban’s edge LBs were never in that range. At most Upshaw was probably 260 back in Saban’s earliest and heaviest defenses before he began to lighten up. Generally Saban’s OLBs have been in the 230-250 lbs range.
Again, the overall theme is to create negative plays in the run game and put pressure on the QB in the passing game...
the defensive backs as a whole will try to keep any home run plays from being hit. The flipside to that is, there will be opportunities underneath,
we should also see fewer successful long ball plays against this defense.
Does this qualify as “bend-but-don’t-break”? I’ve never really understood the details of that term, other than “keeping the ball in front of you.”
Point is, that stuff rubs off on his defense. It was a skill set that guys like Kirby and Pruitt had as well. And while I'm not putting Wommack on their level right now, having those traits in his DNA is huge, IMO.
Great point. The energy and personality of the DC matters more than the OC. In fact, I think it might even be preferable that the OC be deliberately more subdued than the DC.
The aggressive nature alone will lend itself to the propensity to give up big plays at times. Teams with good QB play will get hot some games and move the chains at a frustrating pace.
Yes, I DO think I am hearing “bend-but-don’t-break.”

All of this points to why Saban left. First players began leaving for the NFL earlier, then started skipping bowls, then began transferring rejecting “development” for immediate playing time, then players demanding money via NIL. Add to this the increased pace of coaching turnover. Saban’s brand of football, in particular, was predicated on development, maturity, complexity, limited subbing in a shortened game where his offense kept the ball. This simply could not survive in the current environment of more offensive snaps, distributed talent, lack of player patience, and zero coaching retention to learn his sophisticated schemes.

Whatever the weaknesses are of Womack’s defense, I see it being the best option available. Schemes must necessarily become more diluted and simplified as player-athleticism becomes prioritized over specialization in an age where college coaches no longer dictate the terms. College football’s heading is “parity or bust,” for better and for worse.

Last edited:
Fantastic breakdown @Brandon Van de Graaff thank you. As a guy that isn’t really in the know of Xs and Os of a defense this really really helped.

@TerryP is this the type of “modernization” or update that you had mentioned awhile back that the defense needed like the offense got with Sark?
Sort of. What's crazy?

The first time I saw a hint of this type of concept was at UofSC when TRob was in Columbia. I can't remember the terminology he used for his back five, but the concepts of his back seven are a lot like the Wolf and Sting positions. TRob had safety and linebacker types "floating" into different roles. They didn't have the "horses."

Back
Top Bottom