| FTBL A little trivia type conversation/question for y'all. When was the first time you heard the term, "Iron Bowl?"

Probably not the 1st time I heard it but the 1st time I remember....1972 and scarred for life.
Where did you hear it? Or, is this a memory that haunts you and you just associate the title Iron Bowl?

Here's a part of that trivia. If you actually heard the phrase "Iron Bowl" in '72, you're unique. Its reference to the football game was less than a decade old that year. In fact, it would be over a decade later that either school used the term in their media guides—1984.

FiHrkZ2X0AETRbL

AL.com says it comes from an interview with Shug in 1964, the first year it was nationally televised, in response to a question about not getting to go to a bowl game that year.

Auburn coach Ralph "Shug" Jordan was asked by reporters how he would deal with the disappointment of not taking his team to a bowl game.

Bryan recalled Jordan's response in a 1995 article: "We've got our bowl game. We have it every year. It's the Iron Bowl in Birmingham."

First time I remember the phrase was Keith Jackson saying it before the game. Can’t remember which year, probably late 70’s early 80’s. He gave Shug Jeeerrrrrden credit for it.
That’s probably the reason I refuse to use the term.

Last edited:
Where did you hear it? Or, is this a memory that haunts you and you just associate the title Iron Bowl?

Here's a part of that trivia. If you actually heard the phrase "Iron Bowl" in '72, you're unique. Its reference to the football game was less than a decade old that year. In fact, it would be over a decade later that either school used the term in their media guides—1984.
I was 8 years old...burned in my brain.

:)

Have to get back on this one.

Have all those 60s newspapers sports section See if its so referenced

All I remember. Till 80s was just alabama vs auburn. Seem to remember keith Jackson always calling the iron bowl
No reason to do that. I can assure you PrideoftheTide has an extensive database covering little things like this.

1992 Iron bowl and season was the first I was able to remember, was just about to turn 5 years old at the time I was so excited about the SEC/National Championship stuff I got an Alabama helmet for kids and an Alabama football and ran around for about 2 months straight forced my dad to go out there and I'd try to run past him to score a touchdown.

Back
Top Bottom