| FTBL A Jalen Hurts National Championship Win Will be First for Alabama with a Black Quarterback

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
First of all, I only see Crimson and White colors when Bama is playing. The first time thinking about him being the first was when I read this.
A Jalen Hurts National Championship Win Will be First for Alabama with a Black Quarterback

Jalen-Hurts.jpg

CEDRIC MASON - TOUCHDOWN ALABAMA MAGAZINE

The University of Alabama and the Crimson Tide football team have shared a history of success academically as well as athletically. From a football perspective, the Tide has won 16 national championships. Within those 16, zero come from a quarterback who shares the same skin color as current starting quarterback Jalen Hurts.

The significance of this? For those who may be unaware, there was a time when people of color were prohibited from attending the University of Alabama as a part of the student body. For all of the accomplishments black players have achieved since segregation has been abolished, none of them include a national championship in which the most important position player has been black.

Jalen Hurts has the opportunity to do this Monday night.

When Blake Sims won the starting quarterback position over Jacob Coker in 2014, this and only this opened the eyes of many young black quarterbacks who too dreamed of playing for the Tide — as a quarterback — one day. While Sims fell short of a title, he paved the way for not just the young black aspiring quarterbacks, but for many fans who grew familiar (and comfortable) with the typical stigma of having a white quarterback leading the Tide.

Now, if you look at the Alabama roster, you see not just Hurts as a signal caller, but Tua Tagovailoa, who is of Samoan decent. The impact of Jalen Hurts leading the Tide to a championship is akin to when Doug Williams did the same for the Washington Redskins 30 years ago becoming the first black quarterback in the NFL to win the Super Bowl. Hurts too just missed this feeling a year ago when fellow black quarterback Deshaun Watson lead a stellar comeback win over the Tide, leaving one second on the clock.

Ask many of the older black Alabama residents if they ever thought they would see the day a black player would suit up for the Tide. Ask them again if they ever dreamed they would see a black quarterback be the face of such a storied program. Many of them will tell you no to both questions.

While it is possible this could be the last time Hurts takes the field as the unquestioned leader, no one can diminish the impact and the pride felt by the black community should he bring home the sixth ring for Nick Saban, and number 17 for the Crimson Tide.

There will be many eyes watching on Monday night, but the eyes of the elder black Alabama fans will be watching with a different vibe. They will be waiting to see Hurts hoist up a championship trophy, and they’ll be watching with pride.

I hadn’t even thought about that . It’s about time , we came close with Blake though . Not like BAMA don’t play black QB’s though , just hadn’t been good timing as far as good coaches . Zoe was good but BAMA was lacking in many other areas . I hope it happens just to state the obvious.

Hard to believe that with all the tons of black QBs Bama had in the 60s and 70s... :bolt:
While walking through a used book store recently I noticed a book titled The Big Book of Black Quarterbacks. I should have picked it up, I guess, but it wasn't on my "want list" that afternoon. It only covered black QB's in the NFL--not really my sport as you know.

That brings me to this. It would be interesting to see how many black quarterbacks were playing collegiate football in the '60's and '70's. I suspect the bias they couldn't play that position existed.

I really don't understand the point of these reports. Why can't he just be a QB...
It's been used against Bama on the recruiting trail, often. Hell, that was Dameyune Craig's pitch to Winston's father when he was being recruited. I've had conversations with more than a few that's mentioned it's something they do think about. To some it carries the same importance as the first female in the White House carries with others.

Yeah I get that. I'd just like to get to a time when color of skin, gender, etc aren't mentioned.

Winner, Winner!! Chicken dinner!

After all Ape Lincoln freed the slaves in Confederate held territory but not in yankee lands. All of the enlightened states in the yankee kingdom had laws on the books preventing black people from moving to their hallowed lands. Just FUCK everyone of those race baiting cocksuckers, aight?

Rant over

Yeah I get that. I'd just like to get to a time when color of skin, gender, etc aren't mentioned.
Well apparently you can only do it when its for a something positive like public office or sports. headline can't read first black man to rob liquor store with a rubber duck or first black man to hold a gun right in a drive by.

Living through the ages.....
The transition hasnt always been smooth...
I remember the stories in the early 70s of Bama black players having to
stay on the bus to eat when in travel status and stopping for meals....
That 40+ years ago.....wonder what our...your.....world will be like in 40 more....

Living through the ages.....
The transition hasnt always been smooth...
I remember the stories in the early 70s of Bama black players having to
stay on the bus to eat when in travel status and stopping for meals....
That 40+ years ago.....wonder what our...your.....world will be like in 40 more....

Football will probably look something like this if the rules keep changing...

798b80c7f9469830c0e1b77705f79cb4--ace-ventura-costume-ace-ventura-pet-detective.jpg

I agree with @planomateo! When can we get past this color, gender thing? I won't say issue, because it isn't an issue with me! I have always looked at performance and not skin color. I guess people want to keep things stirred up going back to the days of Walter Lewis and the dust up he supposedly had with a DB or two. That shit is so old!!! People gave Andrew Zow shit and he held all of the records before JP Wilson and the AJ came along!! I would say that 2 names that probably helped the stereotype grow as far as BAMA and "black QBs" are Danny Woodson and Cotis Nunley!! Danny was an amazing athlete but not very bright and Cotis, while a walk on, appeared in a game or two and showed flashes. Meeting room was a different scene though!!

While walking through a used book store recently I noticed a book titled The Big Book of Black Quarterbacks. I should have picked it up, I guess, but it wasn't on my "want list" that afternoon. It only covered black QB's in the NFL--not really my sport as you know.

That brings me to this. It would be interesting to see how many black quarterbacks were playing collegiate football in the '60's and '70's. I suspect the bias they couldn't play that position existed.

That's pretty much been confirmed with the mindsets that coaches/GMs (for the NFL, etc.) had about black QBs. They couldnt play QB or center because they supposedly weren't smart enough. Condridge Holloway busted that myth at QB and Sylvester Croom busted the center myth at Alabama. Holloway has told the story about Bear Bryant being honest with him and saying that he would love to have him as his QB but didn't feel that the state was "ready" for a black QB. I think thats been one of the things that some people could argue against Bryant is that he was maybe too slow to pushing these issues but it really does come off as him wanting to protect the players themselves.

I think one of my favorite quotes from him was after he finally was able to integrate the team, a reporter asked him how many black players he had and he said "none." The reporter asked how many white players he had and he answered the same. "I just have players."

Back
Top Bottom