| CURRENT EVENTS A Golden Flake era ends: Iconic snack plant closing

rick4bama

Bama Fan since 1965 and counting....
A Golden era ends: Iconic snack plant closing

(Utz Quality Foods, LLC/Contributed, Golden Flake/Facebook, YHN)
Pennsylvania-based Utz Brands has announced that it will discontinue making the iconic Golden Flake snacks in Alabama. However, the snacks will still be sold, and about 100 employees will continue working at a new Birmingham distribution facility.
The company announced in a filing last week: “Utz Brands made the decision to permanently cease operations at the Company’s manufacturing facility located in Birmingham, Alabama effective on or around July 3, 2023. This decision reflects the Company’s dedication to network optimization and cost containment.”
Golden Flake chips have a history in Alabama as a beloved snack brand for 100 years. The company was founded in 1923 by Mose and Frank Lewis in Birmingham and originally sold potato chips out of the back of their Model T truck.
i

Over the years, Golden Flake’s popularity grew, and the company expanded its product line to include a variety of snack foods, including cheese puffs, corn chips, and tortilla chips. Today, Golden Flake is best known for its potato chips, available in a range of flavors, including original, barbecue, and sour cream and onion.
RELATED: Golden Flake, an iconic Alabama brand, is being sold in a jaw-dropping $141 million deal (2016)
Utz Brands will spend $3 million to $5 million on the closure, with $1.5 million allocated for employee severance payments and the rest to transfer production. Utz said it “expects no distribution or availability issues due to the manufacturing closure.”
Golden Flake’s success in the Yellowhammer State has in part due to its strong ties to the state and icons who have stood the test of time.

I hve a bag of Golden Flake chips in the kitchen. I always have a bag of Golden Flake chips in the kitchen. They are basically a food group in my house. I'll buy Doritos (Cool Ranch) and Tostitos; but as far as actual potato chips, it's Golden Flake ONLY.

And it makes me wonder if they'll eventually do away with Golden Flake chips and just become Utz. If they do, no more A-Day Game presented by Golden Flake. No more Golden Flake National Championship Commemorative tins (still trying to track down one from '92).

Here's a good story on an Alabama icon. I've got to get better at buying Golden Eagle over Yellow Label, I usually just pick up the first one I find.

I keep both on hand...

Y'all ever tried Alabama Sunshine hot sauce (Fayette product like Golden Eagle)? It is my favorite hot sauce these days... first had it a while back at City Cafe, then started buying it. They have different flavors and such, but I like the original...

s704713559263228885_p9_i1_w640.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom