| FTBL 5 Things We Learned

thebutcher said:
Looks like Cody has drawn a little attention! I must say I was more than impressed. We have been waiting for a monster like him.

From the article...

2. That Alabama may have the next Glenn Dorsey on its hands. Tide fans spent the offseason drooling in anticipation over the arrival of freshman WR Julio Jones, and while Jones did not disappoint in his debut, the truly astonishing newcomer was defensive tackle Terrence Cody. Clemson's offensive line had no answer for the freakish 6-foot-5, 365-pound junior college transfer, who could be seen storming into the Tigers' backfield over and over. Clemson's vaunted rushing attack netted zero -- yes, zero -- total yards.

With such a rare combination of size and speed, Cody -- who, as legend has it, began the year nearly 30 pounds heavier yet could be seen on the basketball court "dunking and doing 360s with the ball," Tide center Antoine Caldwell said this summer -- looks like the same kind of one-man wrecking crew as the former LSU star. Foes will have no choice to double or triple-team him, which, in 'Bama's 3-4 scheme, frees up all kinds of gaps for the linebackers.

It was an unknown to a lot of the media, but it was by far a KNOWN to our fan base.

Neat thing is...we have a few more "knowns" they still don't know about. :twisted:

Argo said:
Foes will have no choice to double or triple-team him, which, in 'Bama's 3-4 scheme, frees up all kinds of gaps for the linebackers.

It's amazing what a good NG can do for a 3-4 defense.

While I do believe Cody had a test when he faced off against Thomas Austin (Clemson Center) his true test won't come until the Arkansas game.

When Cody faces Jonathan Luigs of Arkansas, rated as the best Center last year in the NCAA, we'll see what kind of potential/talent he has because he'll be going against the best of the best.

He's already getting comparisons to Dorsey although I think those are premature. If he continues to blow up pockets like he did against Clemson we better start preparing ourselves for a "1 and done."

TerryP said:
When Cody faces Jonathan Luigs of Arkansas, rated as the best Center last year in the NCAA, we'll see what kind of potential/talent he has because he'll be going against the best of the best.
Yes, that's gonna be a nice match-up for Cody.

However, I'm really shocked on the potential of Cody. I thought he just could be a force as a situational lineman. But yeah, I was wrong, he's the REAL DEAL as a full-time starter.

RTR,

The one thing I worried about this team coming into the season was the DL. Alabama needed to strengthen the DL and Cody goes along way to doing that.
Man he's a beast.
It's nice to see a hugh man do the things he can do. He's going to be very hard to handle.

I think Saban would atest that the nose is imperative to success of his defense. If Cody commands a double team in every game and can remain healthy, we will stuff a lot of run games.

He had a good night because of some pulling guards and by whipping their center but most of the time the nose is a thankless position.

Back
Top Bottom