| RECRUIT šŸˆ 2024 Transfer Portal Thread - DB DaShawn Jones has Committed to Alabama

I know @Justneedme81 has been telling us to calm down but I still say this is not a zero sum game for bama. We had elite talent leave and trading out with Washington talent is not equivalent. With that said so people do not think I am a downer here, I think the guys coming in on offense that already know Washingtons offense will accelerate the transition in KBD's first year. Offensive production should be easier to manage.
Talents leaving was elite? Only elite we had was Downs that's it.

Talents leaving was elite? Only elite we had was Downs that's it.
You do not consider the TE, WR, LT and freshman QB we lost as being elite? I guess I am looking at the stars as well and although not all 5 stars turn out to be elite alot of them do. I do not recall the recruiting ranking for the TE/WR but I do know they were productive. The LT was a 5 start but we all know he struggled. The offense is not where I am as concerned because I think CKD will replace guys with UW players that know his system and were good enough to get to the NC game. Would like to see the CB come here to help with the losses there.

You do not consider the TE, WR, LT and freshman QB we lost as being elite? I guess I am looking at the stars as well and although not all 5 stars turn out to be elite alot of them do. I do not recall the recruiting ranking for the TE/WR but I do know they were productive. The LT was a 5 start but we all know he struggled. The offense is not where I am as concerned because I think CKD will replace guys with UW players that know his system and were good enough to get to the NC game. Would like to see the CB come here to help with the losses there.
Never ever look at the players based on their recruiting ranking. Never do that.

Look at what they've produced for Alabama. Bond is good but not elite. Niblack is good but not elite. Sayin is unknown. There's lot of 5 star QB who didn't live up to recruiting. You need to understand KD has better players than he did at Washington and the offense will be very explosive than it was at Washington and that's with lesser players. You're downplaying this too much. Chill out. You'll see in coming weeks and months.

Never ever look at the players based on their recruiting ranking. Never do that.

Look at what they've produced for Alabama. Bond is good but not elite. Niblack is good but not elite. Sayin is unknown. There's lot of 5 star QB who didn't live up to recruiting. You need to understand KD has better players than he did at Washington and the offense will be very explosive than it was at Washington and that's with lesser players. You're downplaying this too much. Chill out. You'll see in coming weeks and months.
Bond was getting better and had the potential to be elite at some point. Same with Proctor, Niblack, and Downs was already an elite player. Amos wouldā€™ve been an SEC starter. It is what it is.

I do like the fact that we are getting some players coming in and LOVE the fact that we have a new center. McLaughlin drove me insane this year.

Bond was getting better and had the potential to be elite at some point. Same with Proctor, Niblack, and Downs was already an elite player. Amos wouldā€™ve been an SEC starter. It is what it is.

I do like the fact that we are getting some players coming in and LOVE the fact that we have a new center. McLaughlin drove me insane this year.
Niblack was not elite and neither was Proctor.

The talent will be there come Fall. It might take a year. It might take two, but if we have the right head coach and assistants who can coach up our players, get out and bust it on the recruiting trail, plus with the portal....we are not going to see much, if any, a dropoff in the talent. Yeah we may not be able to match other schools NIL deals, but Alabama's brand and a continuation in winning and putting players in the NFL will give us the opportunity to continue to attract 4-5 stars. And to be honest, it might keep some of the "me me me" players away. I may be totally wrong, but I can very easily see teams like FSU, Georgia, Texas, OSU, ect falling flat on their faces and having many internal issues with all their NIL deals

So much subjectivity. I said comparable talent. Sayin scored a 98 on 247 and Mack scored a 96. Give me a break. Sayin was QB3, Mack QB8. OMG the sky is falling! We swapped a 6-1, 195lb QB with a 98 score for a 6-6,225lb QB with a 96 score. We have to stop sugar-coating what a colossal disaster that is!
I'm not saying it's a disaster of any sort. I was just hoping he'd be the starter next season.

Long post here, my apologies:

Sounds like Germine Bernard is going to commit soon. Nothing unexpected there. I suggest some of you check his tape out, he reminds me of Waddle or Metchie with all the quick cuts and ability to create in tight spaces. He also has game breaking speed and can do KR and PR.

Also word is Noah Carter really enjoyed his time here and we know him and Coach DeBoer and Courtney Morgan are already well acquainted with one another. I think this one is another formality, he's essentially a lock to Bama. He had fun on his trip, more about meeting the new DC and his Position Coaches. Seeing the campus and making sure he felt at home.

Jabbar Muhammad is a bit of a wild card still they're very high on him, he seems very high on DeBoer, met with Kane Wommack and liked him and his scheme a lot. In the interview on BoL tonight basically had some high praise for the school and the coaches. He also said he really wants to be careful because this is his last transfer and he will likely only be there 1 year before NFL draft. After hearing the interview stuff and notes, I know a lot of people are optimistic but so were the people from Texas so I'm still thinking he's a coin flip at this point at best. He won't be committing/signing until after the Oregon visit (Next Fri/Sat) Lanning is also visiting him tomorrow when he gets back home.

Ryan Williams is all over instagram, twitter, facebook and pretty much anywhere you look having himself a fun time. Word is he and new QB Mack are becoming good friends quickly. He of course is best friends with Mbakwe, everyone around town and in Bama nation has to feel pretty good about our position at landing him. He's been to Tuscaloosa more than any other campus and while he will visit the Cow College later, I amongst others on here, believe he's 100% Bama but just enjoying the attention and the atmospheres I wouldn't worry too much or read into much else. He made multiple trips to Bama within 1 week and one of those wasn't even scheduled.

In conclusion, I think we get at least 3 of these 4 and with a solid chance to land Muhammad but the caveat that Texas and Oregon will definitely want to lure him with lucrative NIL options.

So 4 for 5 on the weekend would be a home run for a big visiting weekend. 5 out of 5 would be a grand slam.

Another Post I want to add that I saw from Arizona of all places nothing from anyone I know on the behind the scenes stuff on this but kind of a interesting thing.

Both Arizona stars were heavily considering jumping to Alabama. They'd both known DeBoer from his days at Washington and during the recruiting process. They decided to stay in Arizona over jumping to Bama.

Could you imagine what shockwaves that'd sent through the CFB world if we landed arguably the best receiver in the Nation and perhaps the best pocket passer in the nation in one move? I know Milroe vs Fifita would've been interesting in Spring for sure...

The only elite we lost was Downs, but I think irregardless of whether Saban was still our HC or not Downs was gone, the money OSU offered was going to get him up out of here

I know @Justneedme81 has been telling us to calm down but I still say this is not a zero sum game for bama. We had elite talent leave and trading out with Washington talent is not equivalent. With that said so people do not think I am a downer here, I think the guys coming in on offense that already know Washingtons offense will accelerate the transition in KBD's first year. Offensive production should be easier to manage.
It is a zero sum game. That's been his point all along. I've been "screaming" this for years: 85.

I realize trying to encourage you guys to sit back for three months is a stretch. It's been suggested, for years, that programs need a general manager. I truly believe you guys are underestimating Morgan.

It is a zero sum game. That's been his point all along. I've been "screaming" this for years: 85.

I realize trying to encourage you guys to sit back for three months is a stretch. It's been suggested, for years, that programs need a general manager. I truly believe you guys are underestimating Morgan.
When I say zero sum I mean in terms of talent not numbers. We all know Bama had one of if not the most talented rosters in college football. If you swap out Washingtons roster for Bama's I do not think it is a zero sum game. However, the Washington players we will attract are still talented but more importantly they know Deboer's system. I guess Deboer will hand pick those he wants the most or at least hope he is able to do that.

Below is a person by person comparison but not all inclusive because well I can't remember them all.

Downs - no replacement yet from what I have seen nor is there a replacement that is coming that is not a loss.
Niblack - no replacement yet from what I have seen.
Bonds - no replacement yet from what I have seen. Certainly have options from Washington or the 2024 class.
Amos - no replacement yet from what I have seen but maybe I missed a commitment.
Sayin - Mack - on paper a loss. On paper mind you so not sure any other way to measure it.
Roydell Williams - no replacement yet from what I have seen. Best part of this is we had depth as long as we do not lose those we have.
Proctor - no replacement yet from what I have seen. I think this kid was going to be elite. Maybe there is a Washington OL that comes in here that makes it a zero sum or even improvement.
McCoughlin - The center from Washington - an upgrade simply being able to consistently snap the dang ball.

I know this is not a compehensive list but a list of those I could think of and that have likely gottent the most conversation and were likely starters next year. Seems like there are something like 30 players transfer. W/o the transition I suspect that list to have been maybe 20 or so from what I could tell. This list is about 80-20 on players we probably would not have lost if CNS had not retired. All in all we knew there would be losses. In the portal and NIL world no way to get around it.

I really am not panicking the way it sounds nor am I down on KBD. I feel I am being realistic in terms of expectations for the next year or two. I am really trying to say what @alabamajack said below. This is not going to be business as usual next year but would love to be surprised. If it is honestly I will celebrate but then it would set that expecation for Deboer which is likely not sustainable. I used to think the same about CNS but then he just kept doing it year after year which was what was so incredible about his tenure at Bama.

It might take a year. It might take two

Below is a person by person comparison but not all inclusive because well I can't remember them all.

Downs - no replacement yet from what I have seen nor is there a replacement that is coming that is not a loss.
Niblack - no replacement yet from what I have seen.
Bonds - no replacement yet from what I have seen. Certainly have options from Washington or the 2024 class.
Amos - no replacement yet from what I have seen but maybe I missed a commitment.
Sayin - Mack - on paper a loss. On paper mind you so not sure any other way to measure it.
Roydell Williams - no replacement yet from what I have seen. Best part of this is we had depth as long as we do not lose those we have.
Proctor - no replacement yet from what I have seen. I think this kid was going to be elite. Maybe there is a Washington OL that comes in here that makes it a zero sum or even improvement.
McCoughlin - The center from Washington - an upgrade simply being able to consistently snap the dang ball.
Downs - not going to be able to just plug and play replace him, he was a special talent. However, a good safety is easier to find than other defensive positions.
Niblack - easily replaceable. He was a complete sieve in the run game, could've got knocked over by a stiff breeze. He wasn't even allowed in on most running downs/situations which I'm sure tipped our hand at times. Terrible at pass pro on our full protection schemes for deep balls. His one trait was catching the ball, pretty sure Odom can be our pass catching TE just fine.
Bonds - replaced already, Law, Bernard (Likely committing soon), Prentice, Hale, and Henderson will be just fine. Bond made some important grabs for us, but he was by no means a breakout receiver in CFB I expect he will regret his decision come draft time.
Amos - head scratcher and definitely sucks to replace him as well. I think outside of Downs he's the only one where there's some unknown commodities. If we get Muhammad then have Domani Jackson we should be just fine here though. Amos would've likely been better because his years of experience but it's likely talent for Jackson and Muhammad is higher.
Sayin - replaced by Mack immediately likely replaced by a talented QB in 2025 recruiting class. Sucks that we all got attached and he left but that's the nature of the game sometimes. Also weird that he was one of our big recruiters for the class and then bounced when things got rough. Hard to question competitive spirit, but it did seem he was scared of Mack's arrival.
Roydell Williams - very easily replaceable. We've already got better options. Williams never should've been the 2nd back all year. Saban was doing the "experience over talent" depth chart with that one and while Williams wasn't bad, he isn't nearly as good as Haynes and Miller IMO. Also, keep an eye on Richard Young here also he may be a dark horse.
Proctor - If you're following what @Brandon Van de Graaff and @TerryP and I have been saying over the last week or so, he was gone already, and he wouldn't fit the O-line of next year anyways. His weight is a factor, he would've had to shed about 30 lbs in this system.
McGlaughlin - Brailsford is a massive upgrade, if you're a metric measurer like me. The numbers are vastly different. Don't remember who said it but someone said he's essentially Ryan Kelly levels of good and maybe better. He'll help with protections, snap consistently, and his run blocking is miles better than Seth. Seth's biggest issue was not his pass blocking it was his run blocking where he was ranked almost dead last amongst centers in all of FBS D1 not just P5 schools.

Basically only two that are tough to replace are Amos and Downs, outside of that we've already got replacements on the roster or will bring them in the portal.

Back
Top Bottom