| MBB/WBB đźŹ€2024-25 Alabama Basketball Roster Updates (Rutgers transfer Clifford Omoruyi, one of the top big men in the portal, has committed to Alabama)

We had a similar thread last year, and like it, I will update this one with the movement as it happens and next season's roster takes shape. Obviously, all the players in red that are set to return, won't. And others will be added via the portal. But I'll keep this updated and keep track of it as it all unfolds. As always, let me know of any errors/mistakes.

Also, keep in mind, there are 13 scholarship spots available per season. As of now, Alabama is +2 (15 scholarshipped players), which means at a minimum, 2 of the following will not return.

Current 2024/25 roster outlook as of now:
G Mark Sears (5th year Senior)

G Latrell Wrightsell Jr. (5th year Senior)

G Davin Cosby Jr. (Sophomore)
G Houston Mallette (Senior)
F Nick Pringle (5th year Senior)
F Grant Nelson (5th year Senior)
F Mohamed Wague (Senior)

F Sam Walters (Sophomore)
F Mouhamed Dioubate (Sophomore)
F Jarin Stevenson (Sophomore)

G/F Naas Cunningham (Freshman)
F Derrion Reid (Freshman)
C Aiden Sherrell (Freshman)
G Rylan Griffin (Junior)

G/F Kris Parker (Redshirt Freshman)
PG Aden Holloway (Sophomore)

Players from 2023/24 that are not eligible to return next season
G Aaron Estrada

Players eligible to return for next season that will not
G/F Kris Parker
G Rylan Griffen
F Sam Walters
F Nick Pringle
G Davin Cosby

Players signed that are set to join Alabama for next season
G/F Naas Cunningham
F Derrion Reid
C Aiden Sherrell

Players transferring in to play for Alabama next season
G Houston Mallette (Pepperdine)
G Chris Youngblood (USF)

SEC Basketball Roster Tracker

Let's flip this question.

How many big men can play in the "Oats style of basketball?" Do you think Eady would fit in the manner Bama pushes the ball?
Eady would be sucking wind and in need of oxygen at the first media timeout! Need long and athletic! Give me a 6’ 11”+ 230-245lbs that can run the floor and protect the rim. I would guess Oats is looking at rebounding, blocks, defense from our 5 spot. If we get 8-10 points a game from him, that’s gravy!!

I would guess Oats is looking at rebounding, blocks, defense from our 5 spot.
When I look at all of this I think this is something a lot miss: is there a 5 in the Oats system?

I keep seeing "Bama needs a big" with references to guys like Eady. From my point of view, it's not a fit because the offense doesn't use a true 5.

I don't know of a better way to say "it's a position-less offense." There's a group that brings the ball up, guys who play on the wings, and another group that fits the traditional "3, 4, and 5 roles."

It's not the same ... but I picture the approach in positions similarly to how I view Jackson's "Triangle offense" in the league. They aren't running a true triangle, but they are running with what's basically five guys playing three positions.

(I swear I could draw this on a white board better than I'm saying it ...)

When I look at all of this I think this is something a lot miss: is there a 5 in the Oats system?

I keep seeing "Bama needs a big" with references to guys like Eady. From my point of view, it's not a fit because the offense doesn't use a true 5.

I don't know of a better way to say "it's a position-less offense." There's a group that brings the ball up, guys who play on the wings, and another group that fits the traditional "3, 4, and 5 roles."

It's not the same ... but I picture the approach in positions similarly to how I view Jackson's "Triangle offense" in the league. They aren't running a true triangle, but they are running with what's basically five guys playing three positions.

You are right. I guess we should say we need a rim protector, especially someone to defend the other team's big man. A role that Bediako filled. That person doesn't even need to be much of a scorer. This position is not even needed with every team we play, but when we play a team that has a true center, we seem to struggle.

Correct! When I call a guy a 5, I’m referring more to defense when it comes to Oats. In this offense, anyone able to finish from the dunk position would be a fit!

What's your big man wish list out of this Portal period?
Originally was:

Ballo
Omoryui and Aidoo

Since Ballo provides the defense and the offense but he does require more rest. Omoryui and Aidoo seem more like our typical big men we want

Right now I'd rank them all neck and neck;. I'd take any of the three options, Aidoo, Omoryui, or Onyenso they're all three prototypical big men we'd like to have.

Did he have a beef with someone?

Yes. Turned into some drama after Oats grilled him about it. Turned out being some hurt feelings over how highly he was graded.

giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom