| MBB/WBB đźŹ† 2023 - '24 SEC Men's Basketball Tournament: No. 4 Auburn vs. No. 6 Florida | Championship Game

Oats keeps saying we have to be better and the guys let an offensive possession impact the defense. He has been saying that all year. Ok Coach what are you doing about it other than talking about it? I am sure there is some focus in practice but what about the game? Coach them hard but when you are seeing it happen in front of you during the game what are you doing? Just talking to them is not working. I would like for him to talk about specifics of what is happening when the effort is not there. Mental error and they drop off the shooter to much? Go under the screen? Do not stop the ball coming up the court? Not blocking out? What or is it all of those things?

Interesting to me that he stated he does not think it is a personel issue. I believe it is way more that than he is saying. Put Bediako in the middle and defensive let downs do not impact you nearly as much because he is there to clean it up. There is no fear by the other team to take it into the paint. Maybe this is all he can say in a press conference because there really is nothing he can do about the personel right now. That issue started back after the season last year when he did not see Bediako going pro coming.

I am frustrated in how he is managing and messaging this game after game. Not sure what else he can do but I am also not getting paid a lot of money to figure it out.. At this point it is certainly in their head and they have muscle memory so this will continue. No magic potion.

I still hold out hope Griffen and Writghtsell getting their legs back under them is going to make a difference. Only thing I see that is tangible that I can point to. Everything else is just talk and the same talk for that matter,

I will admit that I am not a basketball guy. But I have to wonder why Florida shot 36 FTs last night to Bama's 23. And that one game where the opponent (I forget which game) shot 45 FTs. Is Bama just that bad at fouling? Is there a concerted effort to regulate Bama basketball in the league? Why does Bama always shoot fewer FTs than their opponents? This is why I hate basketball. The refereeing in basketball (not just the SEC) is so inconsistent. It's like the Tennessee game last year where Bama was flagged 17 times while UCheat was flagged 6 or 7 times. It's frustrating.

Basketball and Football are suffering from the same thing.. The rule makers have done everything they can do to take defense out of the game.. People want to see track meets or score fests.. You try to play real physical defense you’ll end up in the locker room or bench quickly..

I wouldn't be sad if Oats moved on after this season. Of course, I don't know who I'm picturing coming in next. It would probably be just another Avery Johnson
Sounds like you need to take a step outside and get some fresh air Dude. While you’re at it, stay away from any steep ledges and don’t get in any roads either.
I understand being disappointed, but your tales are NOT GOOD!!

Sounds like you need to take a step outside and get some fresh air Dude. While you’re at it, stay away from any steep ledges and don’t get in any roads either.
I understand being disappointed, but your tales are NOT GOOD!!
Oates has caused me a lot of anxiety. I hold him to very high standards and he hasn't delivered this season.

Half court offense is only a fraction of the game!

What's so wrong with the "Defense to offense" philosophy?

Play tight defense, create turnovers that lead to easy, high percentage offensive opportunities.

I would run defensive and rebounding drills and breakout layups until they puked for the next several practices, and not even focus on half court offense.

It's not that hard. Why is he making it sound so hard to figure out?

I love Oats to this point, but it seems to me that the only reason he got another contract extension so quickly is because other programs are flirting with him. And this may be why he seems to be almost coaching at 80%, because his mind is being pulled elsewhere? Is he mailing it in some? Going through the motions?

Last edited:
At practice, our offense is great against our ( not so good ) defense.

It seems in games against teams with better defense than ours and a competent offense, we play anxiously on offense and throw up bricks for the most part. From 3 and at the goal or just turn it over. We don't or can't play defense with out fouling. What's up with that?

Half court offense is only a fraction of the game!

What's so wrong with the "Defense to offense" philosophy?

Play tight defense, create turnovers that lead to easy, high percentage offensive opportunities.

I would run defensive and rebounding drills and breakout layups until they puked for the next several practices, and not even focus on half court offense.

It's not that hard. Why is he making it sound so hard to figure out?

I love Oats to this point, but it seems to me that the only reason he got another contract extension so quickly is because other programs are flirting with him. And this may be why he seems to be almost coaching at 80%, because his mind is being pulled elsewhere? Is he mailing it in some? Going through the motions?
My old HS coach used to break out the “bubble” to go over the rim and you knew what kind of practice or drills were coming. It never bothered me because I liked the physicality since I played football as well. Coach always spoke of desire. You win 50/50 balls, rebounds most of the time by simply “wanting it more”. We would also do “lane slides” until someone puked and then we did some more. Coach loved the sound of those squeaking sneakers! It let him know that we were moving our feet to get into proper position.
EFFORT!!! There is no excuse for a lack of effort!!

My old HS coach used to break out the “bubble” to go over the rim and you knew what kind of practice or drills were coming. It never bothered me because I liked the physicality since I played football as well. Coach always spoke of desire. You win 50/50 balls, rebounds most of the time by simply “wanting it more”. We would also do “lane slides” until someone puked and then we did some more. Coach loved the sound of those squeaking sneakers! It let him know that we were moving our feet to get into proper position.
EFFORT!!! There is no excuse for a lack of effort!!
Bama is not the only one that folded in the conference tournament but with that said if it really is effort and the players are not responding then what do you do? Is Oats allowing it? Does he need to sit some people? At this point it is to late BUT to this point trying to see if Oats has not drawn a hard line all season but should have.

Bama is not the only one that folded in the conference tournament but with that said if it really is effort and the players are not responding then what do you do? Is Oats allowing it? Does he need to sit some people? At this point it is to late BUT to this point trying to see if Oats has not drawn a hard line all season but should have.
Sometimes you beat your head against the wall trying to get them to change. Sometimes, you just bloody your head! I think it is just what Oats has to work with in this roster. 2-3 years ago, we had a Herb Jones that imposed his will on others. Last year, Brandon Miller elevated the play of others. We don’t have that one DUDE!!

Last edited:
Sometimes you beat your head against the wall trying to get them to change. Sometimes, you just bloody your head! I think it is just what Oats has to work with in this roster. 2-3 years ago, we had a Herb Jones that imposed his will on others. Last year, Brandon Miller elevated the play of others. We don’t have that one DUDE!!
So coaching can't fix this so it really is the jimmies and joes? I think this is the talent of the players BTW but Oats felt like he had enough to be better than they are. Stated that in his press conference. This team and its D would be much better with Bediako on the team.

Back
Top Bottom