| FTBL 2021 college football schedule: The Hawaii Exemption and Week Zero

252BAMA

AKA: ALA2262
I know it's come and gone, but I just saw this and I also know there are many who don't understand the Hawaii thingy. Good explanation of the early starting date and of the extra game on the schedule that the rule gives them.

"Under NCAA Bylaw 17.11.4, FBS and FCS teams cannot play their first contest until the Thursday preceding Labor Day. Beginning in 2016, an exception to this rule was added (Bylaw 17.11.4.1) that allows Hawaii and teams that play in Hawaii, plus their opponents, the option to play one week earlier on the Saturday before Labor Day weekend.

Another NCAA rule, commonly known as the Hawaii Exemption, allows Hawaii and teams that play in Hawaii the opportunity to schedule a 13th game. This helps those schools earn an extra paycheck, gate revenue, etc. to offset the larger cost of traveling to and from the islands.

Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) teams can play a maximum of 12 regular-season games each year, per Bylaw 17.11.6.1. However, Bylaw 17.11.6.2 (g) permits any football games played in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico to not count against the maximum number of contests."

Week zero this season was also supposed to feature a game out of Dublin.
Yeah, that was covered in the link. Sounds as if you want to play that week, just ask for an exemption.

"Two other matchups that are scheduled for Week Zero did not meet the qualifications, but the schools applied for and received an exemption from the NCAA. In the first Week Zero matchup at 1:00pm ET, Nebraska will travel to take on Illinois with coverage on FOX. The matchup was originally slated to be played in Dublin, Ireland, but was moved stateside due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Additionally, Indiana State will host Eastern Illinois at 6:00pm ET with live streaming via ESPN+. This contest was also granted an exemption from the NCAA."

@252BAMA was it you that basically called Illinois covering against Nebraska the lock of the year? If so, thanks for the little wager I pulled out of it last weekend.
Not quite. Line opened at 9 1/2 and closed at 6 1/2. I said Illinois between +7 1/2 and + 9 1/2 was the lock of the year. At +6 1/2 I referred to them as the Home Team Underdog Lock of the Week and would probably win SU.

Back
Top Bottom