| TV/MOVIES/MUSIC 1923 ~ Episode 6, 2/12

TerryP

Staff
I'm having a hard time remembering shows that I've actually made a point to watch the premiere. A season premiere? Sure. A series premiere?

Star Trek: TNG was one. I remember the Soprano's trailers pulling me in as well as Banshee. Beyond that? NYPD Blue, maybe?

I'm hoping they drop the whole season but that's a wish upon a prayer...

Is 1883 any good? I haven't watched any of Yellowstone yet.
I enjoyed the series.

Interesting side story. When Sheridan was pitching Yellowstone one of the things he brought to the table was the background story of how the Dutton's, and the ranch, came to be. 1883 wasn't intended to be a series. It was part of his pitch.

When the producers heard the backstory on Yellowstone, they told Sheridan "that's a series by itself."

And ... we get 1883 and 1923.

Taylor Sheridan has turned into the Stephen J. Cannell of this period but he writes much better: a David E. Kelly kind of quality.

My wife just bought a subscription to Paramount a couple of weeks ago. We finally binged 1883. Man! What a depressing series, especially the finale! Geez! A lot of people have told me they prefer 1883 to Yellowstone. I disagree. Isabel May's southern accent narration didn't help either.

We also watched the episode of 1923 last night. It was good...More Elsa though. :cautious:

My wife just bought a subscription to Paramount a couple of weeks ago. We finally binged 1883. Man! What a depressing series, especially the finale! Geez! A lot of people have told me they prefer 1883 to Yellowstone. I disagree. Isabel May's southern accent narration didn't help either.

We also watched the episode of 1923 last night. It was good...More Elsa though. :cautious:
Depressing? I didn't feel that knowing her death was coming in E1.

Now, as to her "southern accent?" A hell of a lot better than Mel Gibson in We Were Soldiers. It's a little weird how she's speaking from the grave in narration, but it also provides some continuity. She dropped an "Easter Egg" last night in her narration.

SPOILER ALERT: Click the image to unmask.

Did you catch when she said "only one of my fathers children lived to see his children grown?" She's dead. So, to me, that means we're going to see Spenser killed. If you recall, we saw Dabney Coleman in S2 (?) with Josh Lucus—John Sr. and Jr. The "...don't ever sell it, son" episode, right?

Also, do you remember Comanche tribesman Sam? Specifically, the knife he gave Elsa in 1883? I'm pretty sure that's the knife we saw Spenser carrying Sunday night.

I have a habit of getting lost in the background scenes—see Beth's cigarettes mentioned earlier and the knife mentioned above—which made me hit the pause button a few times looking at the house we're seeing in both series.

Last season on Yellowstone we saw James Dutton shot chasing horse thieves. So that's how he died. Margaret freezing in a snow drift? That was a "dayum" moment in narration.

Speaking of continuity...did you notice?

In Sunday's premiere they're moving the cattle for grass. In Sunday's Yellowstone episode they're moving the cattle...for grass.

In another thread we're talking Jack Ryan, season three dropping yesterday. When Clancy wrote that series I appreciated how he kept his novels together—the continuity of Sally growing up as one example.

I also really appreciate the way Sheridan has interwoven these three series together.

@TerryP Yeah, I knew her death was coming, but the way that episode played out...

And Sam Elliott...When that hummingbird came in, yeah...I knew what was coming, especially with the way this was built into the series, but still...And Sam, Sam showed up in her heaven. Was he killed in a raid?

@bama alum Comanche Sam ...

I thought about the raid scenario.

I ended up falling on what Elsa said in the narration when she was talking about "a perfect world being one where dreams and memories meet." She goes on mentioning "This is heaven...it's a world of you, unique to you...everything you hold dear" and continues talking the open range, the cattle, the horses, etc.

So no, I didn't take it as his death but all of her memories and dreams coming together at death's door.

🤷‍♂️

@bama alum Comanche Sam ...

I thought about the raid scenario.

I ended up falling on what Elsa said in the narration when she was talking about "a perfect world being one where dreams and memories meet." She goes on mentioning "This is heaven...it's a world of you, unique to you...everything you hold dear" and continues talking the open range, the cattle, the horses, etc.

So no, I didn't take it as his death but all of her memories and dreams coming together at death's door.

🤷‍♂️

That was my very first thought. It's simple, and I think better anyway.

Back
Top Bottom