| RECRUIT Post-realignment, there are truly only 2.5 power conferences left in college football, as shown by recruiting rankings:

We are moving to semi-pro, full free agency, NFL-lite Conference North and NFL-lite Conference South. I hope that the ideal of student-athlete survives, but I am skeptical.

I agree with most of your post.
I was thinking of this last night. For several years now, pro ball has moved toward playing a lot like the college game. College ball has taken steps to emulate the aspects of the pros, NIL ( pay to play ), transfer portal ( free agency ), play offs. I wonder, if in years to come, will the pro league
merge somewhere in the middle with the college game?

I was thinking of this last night. For several years now, pro ball has moved toward playing a lot like the college game. College ball has taken steps to emulate the aspects of the pros, NIL ( pay to play ), transfer portal ( free agency ), play offs. I wonder, if in years to come, will the pro league
Agree with you and Krimson. I forgot to add 12-team playoffs. Minor league is a good description of where we are going. I am afraid the game is going to lose that 'something' that made college football special. Guess I'm just an old man wishing for the good ol' days. Hey, get off my lawn!!!

Agree with you and Krimson. I forgot to add 12-team playoffs. Minor league is a good description of where we are going. I am afraid the game is going to lose that 'something' that made college football special. Guess I'm just an old man wishing for the good ol' days. Hey, get off my lawn!!!
I wish for that as well. I'm already lamenting not having the MS schools under our heel year in and out. Remember when it was unusual for Bama to play Arkansas (Lou Holtz as coach) or any SWC team? Most Bama players were from Alabama, and an oddity if those who were not weren't from an adjacent state. I remember thinking that aubrun wasn't a true Alabama school because they relied so much on GA/FL players. I glanced through the official roster, which includes walk-ons, and counted 55 from Alabama. I had mentioned Paul Ott Carruth in the running back thread, didn't know his nephew Cade was on the roster as a walk-on.

Although I'm nostalgic to a fault, I don't think we want the old days of AP/UPI and split champions, or of a northern press slighting Southern players for the Heisman and teams in the polls. Or, of being the third team left out of 1/2 NC game. For decades, the players have sacrificed for the love of the game, their school/state, or for the chance of the NFL, all while the money for everyone else rocketed out of sight. They deserve a share, and some ongoing self-determination of where they play.

RTR,

Tim

In descending order:

NFL
P2
G5
...and on down the line

A side note: People have wanted FCS games eliminated. A division of the current 133 teams is needed.

I've wanted a split for years largely due to decision makers for schools‒who have 2000 students‒are making decisions for schools and their programs where they'll have twice that number at a mid-week softball game.

Back
Top Bottom