| LIFE HOA: "You are REQUIRED to have a garage sale and you WILL give us part of your proceeds."

TerryP

Staff
Screenshot 2023-05-26 6.04.15 AM.png
hmqfk8lbtny81.png

Yeah that’s absolutely nuts, but all the people that live in there are aware of the HOA and its bylaws. If the people in the neighborhood complain that’s 100% there own fault.

Yeah that’s absolutely nuts, but all the people that live in there are aware of the HOA and its bylaws.
I doubt there's a bylaw that states the HOA reserves the right to enforce garage sales and their own discretion. 🙃
🖕 🖕 ...my reply. It deserves a double eagle.
I think I'd take a different approach.

I've got a set of Corning Ware baking dishes my grandmother passed down to me; $15,000.

I doubt there's a bylaw that states the HOA reserves the right to enforce garage sales and their own discretion. 🙃

I think I'd take a different approach.

I've got a set of Corning Ware baking dishes my grandmother passed down to me; $15,000.
Oh no... not Maw Maw's dishes. ;)
Depending on what state it's located, it could be a good time to peddle some all natural, locally grown herbs. 😁

This happened about a year ago. The person who posted the screenshot in the original thread (this "article" uses the repost in FuckHOA instead of the original in FuckYouKaren) came back and said it was only up for about 10 minutes and his mom had sent it to him (she lives in Avalon Village).

I would almost bet the person who originally posted it on Facebook was just trying to use fear of the HOA against everyone and get some more money for the HOA/themselves. Hopefully if they were HOA leadership they got voted out quickly.

This happened about a year ago. The person who posted the screenshot in the original thread (this "article" uses the repost in FuckHOA instead of the original in FuckYouKaren) came back and said it was only up for about 10 minutes and his mom had sent it to him (she lives in Avalon Village).

I would almost bet the person who originally posted it on Facebook was just trying to use fear of the HOA against everyone and get some more money for the HOA/themselves. Hopefully if they were HOA leadership they got voted out quickly.
The travails of any volunteer organization. HOA's, charities, churches, booster clubs...I've seen them all go off the rails when basic governance isn't observed. I've lived in an HOA in GA for 27 years. It's served its purpose of providing services (swim/tennis/social) and enforcing a basic set of rules regarding home appearance and activities (which you agree to follow when you purchase your property). We had one really bad apple who acted like she was the queen of the neighborhood, tried to demand things not required by bylaws/covenants, spent us into a hole and then led a mass resignation. Four neighbors and I picked it up, cut the spending, built reserves and kept it going, it's been good since.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how this went?
The guy who originally posted it on reddit last year (not in the thread the article points to but earlier in the original thread) said the Facebook post was hammered by people who lived there and was taken down in the hour if not within minutes. Some folks did have a yard sale in the neighborhood that weekend but all of them took only cash.

Back
Top Bottom