| FTBL Do you believe Alabama will have a better defense this fall?

I think it all depends on the secondary. Specifically, how D Jackson and K Sabb and the young guys adapt and improve. Our DL should be fine and the LBs are in good shape. But the secondary is young and unproven. Can Jackson and Sabb play at an SEC level? Can the young guys learn and adapt to the college game in order to be impactful? Can the coaches develop them and get them ready? Right now Moore is the only returning starter in the secondary. That's huge. Personally I think there are going to be some real growing pains early on. Georgia is the 4th game and that will b e a big test, but then there is a break until Tennessee, who will be a problem, especially on the road. WKU, USF and Wisconsin will be good warmup games early in the season.

Not much difference in the schemes here. The 3-4 CNS ran was more of a 3-4 "Hybrid" that looked like a 4-2-5. I believe the secondary may go through some growing pains with the transfers having to adjust to SEC play (won't see any Indiana/Northwestern etc. etc. etc. week after week anymore) along with the young'uns learning.

I think we don't miss a beat this fall. IF anything, defense will be much better. our run defense will be significantly better than it was last year. Pass coverage by LB should be better. I don't know why you guys think there will be growing pains. The fact the scheme is little different in how they use defense, the concept is still there. I expect the defense to be top 10 come November.

I think the defense will not be as complicated with so many coverages and terminology. CNS ran a pro defense that was much more complicated than the average fan would recognize. If we get good DB play, we should be pretty good.

A good defense must be 1st physical, 2nd fundamentally sound, & then 3rd schematically effective.

I just don't know enough about Wommack to know about his Swarm defense. They could be called 'Flies on Shit' for all I care as long as they are physical & tackle well. All of that will be on full display when we play Jawja. Then I'll have a better idea how good this defense will be.

A good defense must be 1st physical, 2nd fundamentally sound, & then 3rd schematically effective.

I just don't know enough about Wommack to know about his Swarm defense. They could be called 'Flies on Shit' for all I care as long as they are physical & tackle well. All of that will be on full display when we play Jawja. Then I'll have a better idea how good this defense will be.
Wommack Defense is very good. Very GOOD. Give him steroid overloaded of talent players and it'll be very nasty defense.

Wisconsin also may be a good test

Like most, I'm worried about our secondary. Not our starters but just depth. BUT I love our pass rush personnel. If we can apply pressure like I think we will, I'll be happy. It's our run D I'm worried about, especially after Spring. We really need a healthy Oatis occupying two guys in the middle.

Not as good as the 2023 group and they weren't world beaters. The ILBers are still not great and the DB's will be challenged for sure. Moore is just good but not great. Glad he returned.
Josey,
You go back quite a ways. Would you compare Moore to Mike Clements, Tommy Wilcox, etc as being "good, not great"?
I agree with your assessment - think Moore's biggest asset may be leadership.

My contribution - No.... People keep drinking the Kool-aid that this team will not miss a beat post GOAT and new staff/system. I will be the first to celebrate being wrong.

Josey,
You go back quite a ways. Would you compare Moore to Mike Clements, Tommy Wilcox, etc as being "good, not great"?
I agree with your assessment - think Moore's biggest asset may be leadership.
Coach Bryant signed many HS QB's and they were sent to defense right off the bat. Smart guys with football savvy and good athletes as well. Murray Legg, Jim Bob Harris and others. In those days few teams threw the ball around the park like today. Those days are long gone.

JMO but looking back UT hiring JP away in 2018 really hurt Bama (as much as UT) and Nick and we didn't recover on defense. JP was a really good DC and recruiter. He should have stayed in that seat.

Back
Top Bottom