| FTBL Why can't Bryant Denny Stadium

djngl1

Verified Member
be hard on opposing teams? I can only recall 4 games in almost 10 years that I thought "if this place had a roof, it would blow off". Those games would be Oklahoma 2003, Auburn 04, florida 05, georgia 07. anyone at any of those game would tell you that the noise rivaled that of any stadium anywhere. i dont understand why it cant be that way all the time. athletes feed off that ya know. they love it when the crowd is stupid. is our fan base too old and detached?

i could not agree more...i was there for the fl game in 2005...and the lsu game later that season, and wow..i mean there was something about that feeling of knowing that every fan in that stadium was screaming their lungs out every play of that game pulling it all out for their team...it was a memory and sound burn in my soul.

I was at the ULM game with a buddy that had never been to a game.I told him what to expect before the game.(very loud)Then the game starts and it is like being at a funeral,and of course we lost that game.I think a lot of fans are kind of like the players and forget to show up for the so called easy games.

:cry: :cry:

I know we've had issues the past 10 years or so, but I don't think it's because of an "old and detached" fan base. It probably has had more to do with young and detached head coaches and probation than anything else.

Bryant Denny is historically one of the toughest - if not THE toughest places in the country for an opposing team to win there.

Consider the following winning percentages:

Alabama is 204-41-3 (.823) all-time record at Bryant-Denny.
Bryant was 72-2 there.

Tennessee is 383-89-17 (.801) at Neyland

Auburn is 255-62-7 (.798) at Jordan Hare

Florida is 275-90-13 (.745) in "The Swamp".
Spurrier was 68-5 there. Meyers is 21-1.

Georgia is 301-103-11 (.739) "Between the Hedges"

LSU is 361-139-18 (.704) in "Death Valley"

Michigan is 373-109-15 (.766) in "The Big House"

Ohio State is 334-101-20 (.756) at home

Notre Dame is 299-96-5 (.754) at home

Nebraska is 362-110-13 (.760) at home

Oklahoma is 331-78-15 (.798) at home

I'm going with the "old money" idea.

Saturday night it was kind of silent. I compared the crowd to a golf crowd. They really only applauded after a good play. Then it was like someone held up a "SHhhh" sign.

It's alot of the older fan base with the attitude that when Bear was here we didnt have to make all this noise. And I've heard them say it. They goto the games, they sit, the clap at times, and they leave. They are most vocal when grumbling about how bad the team is.

I wish they would group the fans by age group. LOL!

AFF said:
I know we've had issues the past 10 years or so, but I don't think it's because of an "old and detached" fan base. It probably has had more to do with young and detached head coaches and probation than anything else.

Bryant Denny is historically one of the toughest - if not THE toughest places in the country for an opposing team to win there.

Bryant was 72-2 there.

Keyword "Historically"!

Come up with the numbers in the past 10-15 years. Bama didnt play big name opponents or rivals at BDS until what the mid-90's, UT in 99, AU in 2000. Or add Legion into those BDS numbers and see how it ranks.

RollTideinGA said:
AFF said:

Bryant was 72-2 there.

Keyword "Historically"!

Come up with the numbers in the past 10-15 years. Bama didnt play big name opponents or rivals at BDS until what the mid-90's, UT in 99, AU in 2000. Or add Legion into those BDS numbers and see how it ranks.

Um......the last 10-15 years is also historical.

Bama has sucked recently......this keeps the noise down.

All stadiums are relatively quiet for nonconference light wieghts.

I think our stadium has actually gotten much louder over the last 10 years in big games due to all the losing we have endured.

ARK, UGA, and LSU last year are as good as it gets.

Okay I ran the numbers (LF + BDS). If my math is correct.

Alabama is 364-95-13 (.785) at HOME

That would place Bama 4th in the list below.

"Old Money" is both a blessing and a curse. Fans that were hooked in the 60's and 70's now have the time and money to follow their desire to have season tickets. But Grandpa ain't jumpin' and screaming for three hours. However Grandpa will off-set the issue by funding the new upper decks, which will add space for this generations of jumpers and screamers.

Few programs have three generations attending games, and all-in-all I like it...if it is a bit quieter at times.

As for the weaker record in the last ten years, the teams on the field at the cause (read Probation and Coaching), not the fans. Michigan did not lose to AppState because the fans were not rocking...they just stunk it up.

Tickets are sooooo expensive to go to a game, that the older crowd does buy a lot of the tickets. But we have sold out EVERY game since, I think they said, 1987. I have been to some wild games at both Legion Field and BDS. You just aren't going to have the same amount of excitement for Tulane, Western Kentucky, etc as you will from LSU, TN or AU.

LBS said:
"Old Money" is both a blessing and a curse. Fans that were hooked in the 60's and 70's now have the time and money to follow their desire to have season tickets. But Grandpa ain't jumpin' and screaming for three hours. However Grandpa will off-set the issue by funding the new upper decks, which will add space for this generations of jumpers and screamers.

We should have a sitting section and a stand and yell section. "Family friendly", and no kids allowed. LOL!

rammajamma said:
You just aren't going to have the same amount of excitement for Tulane, Western Kentucky, etc as you will from LSU, TN or AU.

I agree, but it should at least be loud in the 1st qtr or through the 1st half.

Lenny Kozlowski said:
Bama has sucked recently......this keeps the noise down.

All stadiums are relatively quiet for nonconference light wieghts.

I think our stadium has actually gotten much louder over the last 10 years in big games due to all the losing we have endured.

ARK, UGA, and LSU last year are as good as it gets.

Sounds right. But when BDS is on.....it's on! LSU game atmosphere last year was perfect about the time Javier crossed the goaline. Of course that was negated about the time the ball came out inside the 5 yd line. Still a great atmosphere. Top 5 for me. When Saban folds Tuberville's ears over I imagine that will be placed inside the top 5.

LBS said:

Few programs have three generations attending games, and all-in-all I like it...if it is a bit quieter at times.

As for the weaker record in the last ten years, the teams on the field at the cause (read Probation and Coaching), not the fans. Michigan did not lose to AppState because the fans were not rocking...they just stunk it up.

The one thing I will say about the "old money" crowd is that they aren't the ones booing. You may fault them for not getting loud, but they don't get loud regardless of good or bad.

BamaDelta said:
LBS said:

The one thing I will say about the "old money" crowd is that they aren't the ones booing. You may fault them for not getting loud, but they don't get loud regardless of good or bad.

icon_smile_approve_jumbo.gif

BamaDelta said:
LBS said:

Why Cheer or Boo when you can pick up the phone and ring up Coach Moore yourself on Monday and tell him what you think? For most of use that paper ticket is in essence a visitor's pass join the festivities. To the Old Money its a pedigree and club membership card.

I look at like a big name boxer (Roy Jones Jr) he has said that at times it was hard for him to "get up" to fight a certain opponent. I think the same applies to football fans too. But, I'd rather have the crowd "less" excited than booing their butts off because the team doesn't do what the fans think they should i.e going for it on 4th down, not scoring a touchdown on every drive.

Quiet or not I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather spend a Saturday than at BDS with 94,000 members of my family

Cory

Back
Top Bottom