| FTBL What's going on at Hoover High School?

Yeah that part was weird and certainly unnecessary. And I'm assuming that's what he was doing, odd they trimmed the clip when they did... but that's what it looks like... The immediate narrative that went out and the video that followed, didn't exactly match up...

He'll probably state he was...overzealously trying to take off his shoulder pads.
One thing I loved about Saban is that he never apologized for hard coaching!… the soy boy media tried everything they can to turn people against him for that, when he got up in AJ McCarron‘s face and smacked his ass….The media thought the had him… But he never relented….the best part was AJ McCarron basically told them to fuck off and mind their own business….

On Saban... He certainly coached his guys hard, very hard. He wasn't of the same mold of a Dabo (or even DeBoer)... he was old school in a lot of ways. Thin skinned players were better off elsewhere, or at least not playing QB or on defense under him. But, never once have I ever heard any reports of him crossing a line with players and making it personal and/or physical (and I've never considered the AJ butt slap a physical confrontation). He even said as much during his tenure at Bama that you can coach them hard but you never want to make a guy feel he's worthless. And I'm paraphrasing there, but that's the jist of it. The only reason I probably even remember him saying it is because it was the same thing I'd heard my dad say years ago about his coaching days... it sorta stuck with me I guess. And for Saban, it also aligns with this quote from him...

”The challenge to me every day is I pray not to get angry, not to get emotional, because when I do those things, I’m not a very good teacher. And I want to be a good teacher every day, so that I can teach people to improve and get better, and that’s going to help them have a better chance to be successful. Coaching is teaching. Teaching is ability to inspire learning.”

Wasn’t a player that released this video. This had to come from whomever was working the cameras. When I played, I was coached hard but never to that extent. Did I get my ass kicked for not lining up in the right spot or for jumping offsides in a drill, yep! As @Secondand26 asked me earlier about our old Coach at Corner, Ken Gleaton, he was rough and a MONSTER!! He was around 6’3 275 former drill instructor, college ball player and power lifter with a deep voice that sounded like a bear growling. He was intimidating enough!! We would’ve run through a brick wall for him though!! @Secondand26 you were still around when Coach Winnett grabbed Joe Joyce’s face mask weren’t you? I was in junior high at the time and at the other end of the field, when Joe told Coach to let go 3-4 different times. When Coach Winnett refused, Joe slammed him to the ground and landed several punches before Coach Gleaton snatched him up and separated them. Didn’t send anyone home and practice continued. Coach Winnett never touched another face mask either!!!

Man that could’ve been a a joking manner… I didnt play football…but I was a wrestler… Coaches would goof off with us sometimes..

That young man will most likely be shunned by the team, he is probably finished too.. especially if they have a down season, they will blame it on him… that is if they really like the coaching staff and coach..

Wasn’t a player that released this video. This had to come from whomever was working the cameras. When I played, I was coached hard but never to that extent. Did I get my ass kicked for not lining up in the right spot or for jumping offsides in a drill, yep! As @Secondand26 asked me earlier about our old Coach at Corner, Ken Gleaton, he was rough and a MONSTER!! He was around 6’3 275 former drill instructor, college ball player and power lifter with a deep voice that sounded like a bear growling. He was intimidating enough!! We would’ve run through a brick wall for him though!! @Secondand26 you were still around when Coach Winnett grabbed Joe Joyce’s face mask weren’t you? I was in junior high at the time and at the other end of the field, when Joe told Coach to let go 3-4 different times. When Coach Winnett refused, Joe slammed him to the ground and landed several punches before Coach Gleaton snatched him up and separated them. Didn’t send anyone home and practice continued. Coach Winnett never touched another face mask either!!!
I was telling someone about this story today. I was a senior, Joe was a junior. Joe kicked his ass! If coach Gleaton hadn’t pulled Joe off of him, I think he’d still be beating that ass!
Joe told him to stop 3-4 times & when he didn’t, he made him stop!
One of my fondest memories from high school!

Craziest thing I ever saw was between two players. A younger player who was tough as nails and had been raised to not put up with any crap was getting picked on during practice by a senior. At the end of practice the younger player waited on the senior to come out of the field house and when he did he leveled him with a 2x4. That senior never picked on the young guy again nor did anyone else :). Different times when you had to develop toughness if you were going to survive.

Not saying what these guys did was right or compares but the other stories reminded me of this story from my past playing days maaaaaaany years ago..

Last edited:
I was telling someone about this story today. I was a senior, Joe was a junior. Joe kicked his ass! If coach Gleaton hadn’t pulled Joe off of him, I think he’d still be beating that ass!
Joe told him to stop 3-4 times & when he didn’t, he made him stop!
One of my fondest memories from high school!
Never forget it!! 😂 We were on water break when it happened!! Coach Pike and Coach Conner were scrambling trying to get us from looking down there and out of that water break!!😂😂

Should've fired them instead of letting them resign. Doesn't deserve to be even called a coach acting like that.
As a retired teacher and former coach, I can’t agree with this ENOUGH!!! No place for it!!! Hell! I was a walk on for 2 years at UA and the worst I had done to me was my freshman year when I was QB ing the scout team and I throw a post for a TD instead of throwing the out into double coverage! DC Don Lindsey chewed my ass out and called me a dumbass for not throwing the pick!! 😂

When this broke, the Hoover superintendent had to become a mandated reporter. Now what could happen is looking back at his time at CCHS. Any coach who saw a similar behavior and didn't report it is up shit creek.

Back
Top Bottom