| FTBL US Astronaut Requests SEC Network Be Available on International Space Station

PhillyGirl

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...k-be-available-on-international-space-station

hi-res-f6bb6fbdb593e639a4cd80290a87ba2b_crop_north.jpg

Watching the Earth spin outside your window is considered one of the most humbling and precious experiences in human existence.

It also doesn’t hold a candle to the sight of SEC football, apparently.

The Tennessean’s Mike Organ reports that U.S. astronaut Barry Wilmore, 51, has requested the SEC Network be available for his upcoming journey into space.

A Tennessee Tech alumnus, Wilmore says he loves watching college football whenever he can.

"I don’t watch a lot of sports—my wife might not agree with that—but I do like to watch football, the SEC Game of the Week," Wilmore told Organ. "I try to catch Tech every chance I get."

Wilmore and two Russian cosmonauts will head into orbit this September and stay aboard the International Space Station until March 2015. Naturally, this leaves Wilmore—a former linebacker at Tennessee Tech—in a bit of a predicament.

He’ll be missing the entire college football season...or he would be, if it weren’t for NASA generously allowing him to watch the Crimson Tide roll in orbit. He will watch Tennessee Tech's games on the Internet, per Organ.

Consider it official, sports fans: The SEC is taking over space, which means at some point this fall, a live feed of Les Miles eating grass will play aboard one of mankind’s most advanced and expensive cosmic vessels.

Who knows? The signal could be broadcast deep into the galaxy where the other denizens of the Milky Way will find them. Steve Spurrier may be the first human face aliens see. They might assume he is our leader (he is) and come to Earth to exchange greetings and workout tips.

Such is the power of SEC—the Death Star of football conferences.

Back
Top Bottom