| FTBL Title IX Insanity

TidePride50 said:
I agree, but if you do that the only sports that would survive in most schools would be football, baseball, and basketball.

Actually, in most schools only football and men's basketball make money. There is also quite a few schools where even those programs lose money.

BarnBurner said:
TidePride50 said:
I agree, but if you do that the only sports that would survive in most schools would be football, baseball, and basketball.

Actually, in most schools only football and men's basketball make money. There is also quite a few schools where even those programs lose money.

Yeah, I was going to say that baseball doesn't usually attain the draw that football and men's bball do.

With that said, this whole proposal or whatever you want to call it (and yeah it's an old issue I know) is political correctness at its best. Or worst. It's no wonder this started in California. That's par for the course as far as I'm concerned.

There are certain programs in college that make money. That's just the way it is. Men's basketball and college football are the mainstays, the bread and butter. That's just the way it is. Why is it like that? Well, simply put....because people give a damn. Outside of Conneticut and Tennessee most folks don't support or care all that much about sports like college basketball for women. Yeah the article likes to mention that most of the viewers for the women's college bball finals were men but this is just another case of making the stats say what you want them to say. Fact is, most sports watchers are men. If anyone is going to watch the women's finals it will be men. Let's conveniently forget that only about 1% of the country gives a crap enough to tune in to the program in the first place. But by saying that men watched it, it looks more legit.

No one watches the WNBA. No one cares. That's the way it is. No one watches women's soccer. Few people care about women's basketball enough to support the program, and even fewer care about something like gymnastics or softball. We're fortunate enough to have solid programs in softball and gymnastics and I'm all for keeping them going if it's the school's decision. I'm not for cutting money-making programs to do it though.

IMHO women's sports should take a secondary role. There's a reason they do.

I know that in a few quarters women's gymnastics is a big draw. A few years back I attended the SEC meet at Bartow Arena here in Birmingham. It only holds about 10k, but it was packed, granted that it was mostly Alabama and Georgia fans. Still, you are dead on that most colleges depend on revenue from football and men's hoops to support the other programs.

If a school only has a football team that makes money (i.e. 85 scholarships), does Title 9 not say that this school must also produce 85 women's scholarships to match the number offered to men?

For a guy, what if God's gift to you is skill at Diving, Gymnastics, or Discus? You're screwed. But if you are a girl and God has blessed you with the same skill set, Title 9 works to your advantage.

If the football team barely makes money, you can't get rid of it because it makes money, but you might not be able to offer an 86 male scholarship because the football profit will not cover standing up enough sports to generate 86 women's scholarships.

Hmm, would any of you guys follow a womens-only football team? They could play in the same facilities and maybe even on the same day...like womens basketball did for so many years.

LBS, what kind of football will we be watching in the all female league? If it's anything like the football on say, Rock of Love then I'll buy a tickett. :D :wink:

Title IX is a load of liberal crapola. While I firmly believe that women's sports should receive fair funding, giving them the same money as the men's sports is garbage. No matter how much money you throw at say, women's basketball, it's still an inferior product because compared to men, they play in super slo-mo. People will pay to the best they can, but no one wants to pay to see something 2nd rate.

bamaupsman said:
Title IX is a load of liberal crapola. While I firmly believe that women's sports should receive fair funding, giving them the same money as the men's sports is garbage. No matter how much money you throw at say, women's basketball, it's still an inferior product because compared to men, they play in super slo-mo. People will pay to the best they can, but no one wants to pay to see something 2nd rate.

Couldn't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom