| NEWS The funny, weird, and blunt things Alabama and Clemson said this week

• Thread starter Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com
  • Start date
M

Michael Casagrande | mcasagrande@al.com

What was said this week in New Orleans before Alabama-Clemson III in the Sugar Bowl.

alabama-footballs-media-day-at-the-cfp-semifinal-dec-30-2017-c2a25003331c847a.jpg

The funny, weird, and confident things Alabama and Clemson said this week

It's probably an exhausting week for Sugar Bowl players having to spend so much time with the media types. They get asked all kinds of questions -- most good, some otherwise. Here are some of the best, funniest, more noteworthy or cringeworthy moments of the week leading into the Monday night game in the Superdome.

alabama-footballs-defensive-press-conference-at-the-cfp-semifinal-dec-29-2017-72902f0e0753fa95.jpg

Q: What do you remember about the final play of last year's game with Clemson?

"Are you talking about the pick play?" -- Alabama safety Ronnie Harrison.

alabama-football-arrives-at-cfp-semifinal-dec-27-2017-57ba351499fe0aa8.jpg

Q: It's such an unusual thing where this is a trilogy. I was trying to think of other great trilogies. My favorite trilogies are "Star Wars" and "Die Hard." What is your favorite trilogy?

"I don't know if I have one. Maybe the "Transformer" series. Something like that. I always loved "Transformers" That might be my favorite." -- Alabama RB Damien Harris

Q. You fumbled a snap and it was returned for a touchdown (against Syracuse), but the refs called it a fumble. They went down and scored. Who should have won that game?

"The team that won the game." -- Clemson QB Kelly Bryant.

clemson-footballs-defensive-press-conference-at-the-cfp-semifinal-dec-28-2017-ea5f98699b2e2686.jpg

Discussing Alabama receivers

"But outside of Ridley … you have to try to limit Ridley and if we do that, I think we have a great chance of winning the game." -- Clemson CB Ryan Carter.

Q: Clemson has had a motto all week: Leave no doubt. In other words, they want to be able to don't leave any doubt for the big play, to be able to win by a big margin. What are your thoughts on that?

"Good for them." -- Alabama safety Ronnie Harrison.

auburn-vs-clemson-496dbd41a0fc0669.jpg

Q: Why is Clemson practicing outside instead of in the Superdome?

"I don't know the reasoning for that. Maybe because it's a dome and their might be some spies sitting around in the bleachers. Seriously, you never know. Not Saban but that's college football. You never know what you don't know." -- Clemson LB Dorian O'Daniel (6).

Q: Q: Do you have a chip on your shoulder because there was discussion about Ohio State and if they should be here?

"We're here now. Can't kick us out." -- Alabama QB Jalen Hurts

Q: Do you have a funny story about being a father figure to freshman QB Mac Jones?

"Anytime I take him out in public, I make sure he is on his best behavior. So just keeping him around me making sure he's not in any trouble, making sure he doesn't get any trouble. So just to keep him close to my hip, make sure he doesn't get into anything." -- Alabama RB Damien Harris.

clemson-footballs-defensive-press-conference-at-the-cfp-semifinal-dec-28-2017-a983ff581c651ca8.jpg

Q: Was it a point of pride to hold Alabama to 2-for-15 on third downs last year?

"I'm sure that's going to be a bigger challenge this year because that never happens to a Nick Saban-led team." -- Clemson DL Christian Wilkins.

super-bowl-football-0e2cd7b27f23e11d.jpg

Q: What's the biggest difference coaching grown men and 18-22 year olds?

"That's a great question. You know I had Gronk." -- a smiling Alabama offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, the former Patriots tight ends coach.

Q: You said Alabama offensive line is the best you'll play. What makes them good?

"… They try to bring the intimidation factor into the game, which is how football should be. It's a man's game." -- Clemson DL Clelin Ferrell.

Q: Are you the underdog in this game?

"We've pretty much been the underdog in every big game we've played this season and throughout the years that have passed. We're used to being the underdog." -- Clemson QB Kelly Bryant.

Looking around the news conference room ...

"I sense a little lack of intensity in this room. I have a team meeting with the players today at 2:15 and I hope they're not of the mindset that I see here today," a smiling Nick Saban on Sunday.

alabama-head-coach-nick-sabans-head-coach-press-conference-at-the-cfp-semifinal-dec-31-2017-a7608d610450b366.jpg

Q: Do Alabama and Clemson fans have a healthy respect for each other?

"... I eat lunch at Taco Mama there at the Summit. And I have got all kind of people looking at me." -- Clemson coach Dabo Swinney on Christmas Eve shopping in suburban Birmingham every year.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom