Sudden Hearing Loss

Bamabww

Bench Warmer
I've been fighting this since late October and thought I'd share this with you in case it happens to you or someone you know. The sooner you get treatment, the better your chances are of recovering most of your hearing.

I'm an early riser usually up between 4 and 4:30 each morning due to working third shift for 30 years. I don't usually sleep but about 4 or 5 hours a night. On October 23 I got up as usual and pulled up RTB to do my normal morning reading when I noticed, just all of a sudden, my ears feeling "full" or like I just went up a mountain and my ears needed to "pop". I opened my mouth to "pop" or relieve the pressure I felt and both ears popped. Everything seemed back to normal and I surfed the net until my wife got up a couple of hours later.

When she started talking I could just barely hear her. She has accused me of having selective hearing anyway and thought I was joking with her. My right ear was completely dead and my left side better but not normal hearing. She's a retired RN so she has all the medical gadgets they use and had one of those scopes to look into ears. I have had excessive ear wax before but not this time.

We called at 9 a.m. to make an appointment with our ENT doctor and couldn't get in for two days. In the meantime we went about our normal daily activities. My hearing remained about the same. When the ENT did a hearing test, my right ear showed 95% loss of hearing and 40% in my left. He prescribed a 21 day round of steroids and another appointment 2 weeks later. During that appointment another hearing test showed my right ear had improved by 5% and my left remained the same. The cause is really unknown. the link I included gives some possible causes but he said very seldom can the cause be pinpointed.

He said another treatment would be to inject the steroids directly into my eardrum but studies show sometimes that does more damage than good 60% of the time. He doesn't suspect a tumor because I have none of the usual side effects of a tumor on the nerve from the ear that goes into the brain. He said 97% of the patients with a tumor will have nausea, dizziness, headaches, blurred vision, etc. I haven't had any of those. Still he said we would do a MRI after the steroids have run their course, just to be sure.

I decided to get a second opinion and their tests showed almost exactly the same % loss and agreed with the steroid treatment my first ENT had prescribed. A week later I tried another ENT and her hearing test showed no improvement in either ear. At that time, I was about a month into this and asked this ENT what are my options.
Hearing aids are about all that's left. She said very few people regain very much of their hearing back if they haven't by this time.

So that's where I'm at. Last Tuesday I ordered a set of hearing aids and I'll tell you that really makes me feel old. Of course at 64 I'm older than the majority here anyway but in good shape otherwise other than my hearing, as far as I know. Here's a link that the ENT gave me just in case you run into needing some info on the subject.

Sudden Deafness

Really sorry to learn of this. The tumor, usually called an acoustic neuroma, does NOT necessarily carry those additional symptoms when it first affects hearing. My wife was diagnosed with one following a sudden hearing loss two and half years ago, and the hearing loss and sensitivity to noises are the only symptoms she's had. Get the MRI. I agree it's unlikely that you have a tumor since you're impacted in both ears. The tumors are almost always benign, and most are extremely slow growing. When her hearing dropped, I made her go to an ENT immediately because I'd read some time ago about how viruses can attack the hearing and you can lose it all quickly.

If you are diagnosed with a tumor, one of the best MDs in the country for this is David Haynes at Vanderbilt.

https://www.vanderbilthealth.com/skullbasesurgery/48623
https://www.vanderbilthealth.com/skullbasesurgery/48622

If you need to be fitted with a hearing aid, hurry and get it in this year (EDIT - sorry, I missed the part that you'd already ordered), particularly if you have any flexible spending account money left. Some health plans have okay to really good benefits for hearing aids, but they typically run on a calendar basis (ours pays a fixed amount every three calendar years). The newer ones are very adjustable, so there isn't a benefit to waiting until the loss stabilizes.

Take Care,

Tim

@It Takes Eleven, thanks for sharing that info about the doctor at Vanderbilt. I’ll keep that in mind.

Did your wife’s hearing return? Thanks again Tim, appreciate your reply very much.

Her hearing did not return in that ear, other ear is fine, and she still has the tumor. It's small, benign, and hasn't grown in two years. She's been hit and miss wearing the one hearing aid. It's hard to explain, but as I understand it hearing loss isn't just turning down the volume. Some frequencies and pitches can be missed, such as typical conversation, yet a higher pitched instrument or the cackling of a group of women getting loud over a bottle of wine a few tables away can set her on edge. The ringing in that ear can be significant as well. Dr. Haynes likened it to the brain realizing it's getting less reception from that ear and it turns up the gain to what is coming in.

The surgery options aren't great for a tumor like this if it begins to grow and threaten the brain. You can essentially go through the hearing and balance organ directly to the tumor, destroying the hearing and making you re-learn balance. That still might not stop the ringing and other negative symptoms. You can do a complex, 20 hour surgery where you lift the brain from below to get at it. There is greater risk of side effects for a surgery of that type. You can go with the gamma knife and that might stop growth, and it could immediately eliminate what hearing you have left in that ear, and you're left to wonder what the 20 year implications of gamma radiation might be.

Finally, there's "watchful waiting". Keep an eye on it, annual MRI's and have an appointment with a really good MD who can bring up the options above every year (and describe the side effects of each) if any of the variables change. That's where we are.

Take Care,

Tim

as I understand it hearing loss isn't just turning down the volume. Some frequencies and pitches can be missed, such as typical conversation, yet a higher pitched instrument

I've found that to be true Tim. I can't hear any normal sounds in my right ear but the "fasten your seat belt" chime in the car is actually painful in that ear.

The ringing in that ear can be significant

And mine comes and goes but it's not a ringing in my case but a sound like water running over rapids in a creek. Normally a soothing sound but only for a little while. My "ringing" has been gone for a couple of days now. I get my hearing aids this Wednesday.

I have been wearing hearing aids for some years now. I first got them around about 1996. I was only 26 at the time. Without them I am basically deaf. I could/can sleep thru a storm (unless the thunder is close enough).

@Bamabww , will your hearing aids be in the canal types or BTEs (behind the ear)? Better yet are you getting digitals or analogs?

@Hardkore , I'm trying the Phonak Biocros (I don't know the specific model number). They are digital, BTE type. Since my right ear is so bad, they think it's too far gone for a hearing aid to help. The biocros , as explained to me, sends the right side signals to the left side wirelessly. The audiologist said she had had good luck with these in people with similar hearing loss.

As it is now, I can't hear anything on my right side which makes it very difficult to carry on a conversation with anyone on my right side. I'm sure there are several more adjustments I'm gonna have to make as I adapt to this hearing loss as you already know and have done.

@Bamabww you could be using one like this!!
1513085100946.png

1513085124038.png
This is the type I have right now!;) Putting all kidding aside,hearing loss is a big deal. The only time I have problem with the ones I wear is when I'm in a room that get loud. Turning them down sometime don't work so I take them out.

@Bamabww Wayne! I just saw this on here this morning. I am praying for you as soon as I finish typing this. Daddy has worn hearing aids for 10+ years and you cannot even tell he has them unless you are really looking. Hopefully, you will do well and your hearing will be restored.

Just to let those interested or who may have a similar problem here's an update. The MRI showed no tumors so that was a relief. The family and I have adjusted to the hearing aids pretty well although they only help me hear better. They're no where near normal hearing but much better than no hearing. My wife enjoys being able to have the volume much lower on the TV / radio.
The only problem I have is in a crowded place such as a restaurant. I hear everything and everyone. Really loud. I have to turn the volume way down in those type places. Still learning where to sit and how to listen in a crowded place.
The Cros hearing aid in my right ear has been a blessing. It enables me to hear any right side sounds in my left ear. Battery life has been really good compared to my dads. He has the inside the canal type and is lucky to get 4 days out of a battery. I've got 6 days the majority of the time and the worsehas been 5 days. The hearing aids sound a tone when battery life reaches a certain level and repeats the tone every half hour until the battery goes completely dead so I have plenty of warning to replace the battery.
Hope none of you or your family have to face this but if so, I hope you have similar results.

Just to let those interested or who may have a similar problem here's an update. The MRI showed no tumors so that was a relief. The family and I have adjusted to the hearing aids pretty well although they only help me hear better. They're no where near normal hearing but much better than no hearing. My wife enjoys being able to have the volume much lower on the TV / radio.
The only problem I have is in a crowded place such as a restaurant. I hear everything and everyone. Really loud. I have to turn the volume way down in those type places. Still learning where to sit and how to listen in a crowded place.
The Cros hearing aid in my right ear has been a blessing. It enables me to hear any right side sounds in my left ear. Battery life has been really good compared to my dads. He has the inside the canal type and is lucky to get 4 days out of a battery. I've got 6 days the majority of the time and the worsehas been 5 days. The hearing aids sound a tone when battery life reaches a certain level and repeats the tone every half hour until the battery goes completely dead so I have plenty of warning to replace the battery.
Hope none of you or your family have to face this but if so, I hope you have similar results.

So glad to hear you're adjusting well. If you shop there, the hearing aid batteries at Costco are dirt cheap.

Just to let those interested or who may have a similar problem here's an update. The MRI showed no tumors so that was a relief.
That's very good news.

The family and I have adjusted to the hearing aids pretty well although they only help me hear better. They're no where near normal hearing but much better than no hearing. My wife enjoys being able to have the volume much lower on the TV / radio.

That pretty much explains it from my point of hearing as well. Everything is a bit of a big jumble of sound meshed together. The hearing aids pick up everything. Certain tones and frequencys are really bold, like a child crying/squealing. One thing I have to try to explain to people is that while these do help they are not perfect. They help me hear but that doesn't always mean I can understand. The way some people talk comes off very unclear. Fortunately in choir ,one of the things I leaned was over pronouncing words to come across clearly.

That must be nice. I don't get any warning. It will just die. Sometimes it will gradually get weaker letting me realize I need to change it soon.

That's very good news.

That pretty much explains it from my point of hearing as well. Everything is a bit of a big jumble of sound meshed together. The hearing aids pick up everything. Certain tones and frequencys are really bold, like a child crying/squealing. One thing I have to try to explain to people is that while these do help they are not perfect. They help me hear but that doesn't always mean I can understand. The way some people talk comes off very unclear. Fortunately in choir ,one of the things I leaned was over pronouncing words to come across clearly.

That must be nice. I don't get any warning. It will just die. Sometimes it will gradually get weaker letting me realize I need to change it soon.
Now I got my Hearing Aide from the VA. This is what I was told about using them. Keep the volume down when in a crowded area, like games, restaurant. I sometime find it best just to take them out. I was also told that the battery last about a week. So change them weekly for me. But I get my battery from the VA and I get a six months supplies. But I still have trouble with noise.

Now I got my Hearing Aide from the VA. This is what I was told about using them. Keep the volume down when in a crowded area, like games, restaurant. I sometime find it best just to take them out. I was also told that the battery last about a week. So change them weekly for me. But I get my battery from the VA and I get a six months supplies. But I still have trouble with noise.

Yeah, it is good to keep the volume down a lot in public. Often times I will just turn them off and enjoy some peace and quiet. At least as much quiet as I can get.

Back
Top Bottom