| NEWS Recruiting, Football, Basketball info

Andrew Bone - BamaInsider.com Recruiting Analyst

1. What is the latest and backstory on Dominink Wood Anderson

BONE:

Dominick Anderson, four-star tight end from Arizona Western in Yuma,decommitted from Texas on Monday evening. The elite prospect was considered an Alabama lean prior to his commitment to the Longhorns. Anderson has been in regular communication with the Crimson Tide. He also spoke with Alabama the night he decommitted from Texas. He remains a top target for Alabama. He has also talked to a few other schools including Louisville and Oklahoma. Alabama is considered the favorite at this time.

2. Asa Martin, does Bama plan to take a RB?

BONE:

Alabama continues to press hard for Asa Martin, four-star running back from Austin High School in Decatur, Alabama. The in-state target committed to Auburn instead of Alabama in August. It hasn't slowed down Alabama's recruiting efforts in the elite target. Martin has taken back-to-back trips to Tuscaloosa. There is clearly some interest. Alabama will not let up in trying to flip Martin away from the Tigers. Alabama is recruiting a few other backs including Jerome Ford, three-star from Armwood High School in Seffner, Florida. Ford is expected in Tuscaloosa next weekend. Expect Martin to take at least one more trip to Alabama. The door remains slightly open for the Tide.

3. Give me your thoughts on potential DB's that could commit

BONE:

Alabama may have all of its top defensive back targets in Tuscaloosa for the LSU game. Kelvin Joseph, Rivals100 safety from Scotlandville High School in Baton Rouge, and Nadab Joseph, Rivals100 cornerback from Norland High School in Miami, are scheduled to return to Alabama. Both are former LSU commitments. Patrick Surtain, five-star cornerback and Tyson Campbell, Rivals100 cornerback from American Heritage High School in Plantation, Florida, plan to attend the game. Josh Jobe, four-star cornerback from Cheshire Academy in Connecticut, will likely take his official visit to Alabama next weekend. Former LSU player Saivion Smith, four-star cornerback from Mississippi Gulf Coast in Perkinston, is also scheduled to attend the game.

Alabama has a very good chance to finish with an outstanding defensive back class. There is strong talk of Alabama signing at five defensive backs in the 2018 class. Jalyn Armour-Davis, four-star cornerback from St. Paul's in Mobile, is the only commitment. Alabama expects to finish strong at the position. Next week is a key weekend for all the players mentioned above.

BamaInsider.com Team Writer Tony Tsoukalas

Who has the best chance to beat Alabama that is remaining on their schedule? Can you rank the teams from LSU to Auburn?

Tsoukalas:

If I had to pick one I’d pick Auburn, but I doubt any of them will come within 10 points of Alabama. In order it’d be:

1 Auburn — Highest ranked team on the schedule, good defense, capable quarterback, Alabama has to play on the road. All that said, they lost to a very average LSU team.

2 LSU — Great defense, but no passing game. Derrius Guice is a talent, but so was Leonard Fournette. You typically have to have an elite quarterback in order to beat Alabama, and Danny Etling is not that guy right now.

3 Mississippi State — Nick Fitzgerald is the type of dual-threat quarterback that can give Alabama trouble. However, the junior has been far too inconsistent passing this year, completing just 57 percent of his throws for 1,179 yards and 11 touchdowns with seven interceptions.

4 Mercer — Might give GiGi’s a run for its money for best cupcake in Tuscaloosa when it rolls into town.

Talk about Jeremy Pruitt and the job he's done at Alabama.

Tsoukalas:

It can’t be stated enough the job he’s done this season, especially when you consider that he lost his top four sacks leaders from last year and then had his two best pass-rushers go down with season-ending injuries in the opener. With all that, Alabama is still tied for No. 9 in the nation with 23 sacks this season. Enjoy Jeremy Pruitt while you can, Alabama fans. He will be a popular name in several coaching searches this offseason.

What is your assessment of this freshman class and what has stood out?

Tsoukalas:

The freshman class has been outstanding, especially on offense. Jerry Jeudy is the second-leading receiver on the team with 208 yards and a touchdown on 12 catches. Henry Ruggs III leads the team with five touchdown receptions on five receptions. Najee Harris has somehow flown under the radar but has 282 yards and two touchdowns on 49 carries, an average of 5.76 yards per touch. Then there is Tua Tagovailoa, who has completed 66.7 percent of his passes for 385 yards and five touchdowns with an interception in limited duty.

On defense, linebacker Dylan Moses and defensive LaBryan Ray have flashed signs of promise. Safety Daniel Wright also appears to be a future star and has been one of the Crimson Tide’s best players on special teams.

Tell us about the BBQ place you went to in Birmingham.

Tsoukalas:

Sure. I went to Birmingham Monday to interview Nick Saban at the Monday Morning Quarterbacks Club meeting downtown. Before heading back to Tuscaloosa, I stopped at Saw’s BBQ in Homewood. I had heard a lot about Saw’s but had never tried it, so I went for the sampler to get a full taste of the place.

It was entirely too much food and ended up serving as lunch the following day as well. But it was delicious! The ribs put both Dreamland and Archibald’s to shame. That’s hard for me to say because I love Tuscaloosa and stay really loyal on my food takes. However, this was some of the best barbecue I’ve had. On top of the ribs, I had the chicken with white barbecue sauce. That actually ended up being my second favorite part besides the ribs. I’m not sure if I have had white barbecue sauce before, but I’m definitely a fan. I also had the pulled pork which was really good, as it is at most places in Alabama. As for sides, I got mac-and-cheese and greens. Never ate greens as a kid, but they are my favorite side to get now!

If you are ever in the Birmingham area, I definitely suggest giving Saw’s a visit if you haven’t already.

BamaInsider.com Basketball Correspondent Jordan Harper

1. What were your takeaways from the Tide Tipoff

Harper:

There's a different feel around Alabama basketball that has not been present for quite some time. For a chilly Tuesday night, the crowd was pretty energetic and enjoyed the festivities. The dunk contest was a must-see with 360 dunks by Petty and jumping over Dazon for Sexton. Some observations from the game itself:

- Sexton plays the game faster than anyone I have ever seen, besides Russell Westbrook

- Honestly, based on the Canadian tour and Tuesday night, I believe John Petty is our best overall player. I'll touch on him and Sexton in a second.

- Daniel Giddens is a man among boys physically. That guy is going to be a monster inside.

-Overall our whole team looks more beefed up and muscular. Lou DeNeen has really worked these guys hard. Donta Hall looks like a totally different person since his freshman year.

2. Compare Johny Petty and Collin Sexton

Harper:

John Petty and Collin Sexton are the two most gifted basketball players Alabama has had in my lifetime (1991). Comparing the two is like comparing apples to apples. Collin Sexton is a 6'2 PG/SG that has lightning quick agility with athleticism you have to see to believe. He is an elite scorer with excellent ball handling for a freshman. John Petty has the same type of athleticism, but at 6'7, which is incredible. I personally believe that Petty is a better shooter than Sexton, but only above average handles. They are two players that will feed off each other and that will be exciting to watch this season.

3. Who are the bigs for this year's team and what do you foresee from them?

Harper:

The big guys for this Alabama team will be totally different from the guys we have had in the past. Giddens and Hall are both guys that can score with their back to the basket, can elevate in posterize you, and shoot from 8-10 feet out. These guys are very athletic and I expect both to average over a block a game this season. You talk so much about Hall and Giddens that you forget about Alex Reese and Galin Smith. Reese should see around 6-8 minutes a game and will be a very serviceable reserve for the team. Smith, I expect to be red-shirted to grow and develop, but he has a lot of potential. Whether this team is great or elite will be determined by the production of the front-court throughout the season.

4. Give us a late October hoops recruiting update

Harper:

October has been a very busy month in basketball recruiting. Jared Butler committing was a massive get for Alabama. The first commitment is always the biggest because it breaks the ice for others to hop on board. Not to mention Jared Butler being a top PG prospect and will continue to improve. Javian Fleming, Robert Woodard, James Wiseman, Diante Wood, and Kira Lewis visiting throughout the month showed that Alabama is hot commodity in the basketball world. Look for Javian Fleming to make a commitment in the next few weeks and expect it to be to Alabama. Recruiting is picking up steam and its about to take off, so Buckle Up!

BamaInsider.com Intern Tyler Waldrep

1. Statistically, compare Alabama vs. Penn State head to head

Waldrep:

The Nittany Lions are currently the only team in the country allowing less points per game (9.6) than Alabama’s 9.8 although Penn State is clearly just now entering the hardest stretch in its entire schedule.

One reason for the Nittany Lions’ success is their ability to get the ball back for their offense. Their 21 turnovers leads Alabama (15) and all other Power 5 programs except California (21) and Utah (also 18).

On offense Alabama currently has a slight edge in terms of total yards. The Crimson Tide is averaging 499.8 yards per game and the Nittany Lions are averaging 463.3 yards.

2. Does Alabama have a weakness? Talk about a potential vulnerability of this team.

Waldrep:

Punt return is an obvious area Alabama needs to improve, but that alone probably won’t cost the Crimson Tide. The Alabama has scored at least 41 points in six games this season, but how will the team fare if the touchdowns aren’t coming so easy?

The Crimson Tide’s offense converted on third down over 40 percent of the time in all six of those games. In the other two against Florida State and Texas A&M, Alabama only managed to convert on 7 of 30 total third downs (23 percent success rate). It went on to win those games by only 17 and eight points, respectively.

FRIDAY FORUM: DON'T MISS | BamaInsider.com

I am SO excited for basketball this year ...

I know I was told to buckle up and am starting to see the same type change I saw when Saban got to BAMA . If the coaching is there and I believe it is ... Better Buckle up .

Back
Top Bottom