| FTBL Real Big Al

Birdman37 said:
Big_Fan said:
It cannot happen and will not happen.

Elephants are the most dangerous land animal on earth. In a stadium filled with close to 100,000 screaming fans, I would hate to think of what it would do the the animal's nerves - and the potential results.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MpSGu8_Qqps

what about the elephants they use at those worldwide circus'. hell i dont remember what they called, but they have ALOT of ppl in the stands and the elephants dont go nuts.

They are extremely difficult to keep and handle, and there is always the chance that they will go nuts. It happens, and when it does it is much worse than a dog biting a player.

They talked about all this on the piece I was listening to. This is exactly why you have to jump through so many hoops before they will let you have an elephant. They have to make sure you have the proper habitat set-up and that you take all the proper precautions so no one gets heart. They mentioned that tranquilizers would have to be on hand for the game and that the animal would probably be mildly sedated on game day (this is one thing they are checking on to make sure it is safe). It’s going to be a pretty huge expense to make this happen.

They mentioned that the particular circus elephant they were looking at buying is a female Asian elephant, thus she wouldn’t have tusks like Big Al.

You would definitely have to build a habitat of some sort to keep it in. Would be a mascot and have to have better surroundings than a zoo.....

It just seems like a bad idea to me.

SGA to research getting elephant
Dave Folk
Contributing Writer
Issue date: 11/9/07 Section: News
PrintEmail DoubleClick Any Word Page 1 of 1 Rammer Jammer, the Walk of Champions, tailgating on the Quad, the Million Dollar Band's performance of Yea Alabama, are all game day traditions. A live elephant may soon be added to the list of game day festivities, depending on what an SGA research group finds in the coming months.

During a joint session between the First Year Council and the SGA Senate, the two bodies passed a resolution that will research bringing a live elephant to campus during football games to add school spirit.

The resolution cited other SEC schools, such as Auburn, Tennessee and LSU that bring an animal to campus for home football games.

The decision was only to create a group to research the idea, but that stirred debate between First Year Council members and SGA senators. Arguments ranged from logistics to animal rights before the resolution was affirmed.

"You can't just throw an elephant in the middle of the Quad. It has to be thought through," said Christy Adamson, a freshman majoring in international business.

Another resolution was passed to try to bring Dining Dollars usage to UA athletic events. The SGA and the First Year Council encouraged Alabama Sports Marketing to give ARAMARK the contract for food services at athletic events, which is up for grabs at the end of the year and would potentially bring Dining Dollars to Bryant-Denny Stadium and Coleman Coliseum.

Gregory Poole, a sophomore majoring in engineering, said while he is in favor of the resolution, it isn't perfect.

"While I did support the resolution, I also support a free market system. Don't just give it away because it's ARAMARK and they have Dining Dollars," Poole said.

Others, like Joe Fine, a sophomore majoring in history, said he supported the idea.

"It would be very popular with the students," Fine said. "They already have Dining Dollars," Fine said.

Getting a good night of sleep was the topic of a third resolution. The SGA hopes to cut down on unwelcome wake up calls by asking the University to keep grounds crews away from residence halls before 8:30 a.m.

The First Year Council was invited to observe and participate in SGA Senate debate for the first time. There were participants on both sides of the aisle that came away feeling it was a good experience.

"It's a good idea because it brings all people to the table. That's something that our administration has worked very hard for," said Vice President for External Affairs Britney Mitchell, a senior majoring in public relations and political science.

Fine said he was in the First Year Council and said he thought it was a good learning experience.

"I think it's a good idea to give kids a chance to come up and see how the Senate works," Fine said.

Executive Vice President Madeline Barter said she thought it was an overall fruitful evening.

"It was really productive, there was a lot of debate and resolutions were authored from both sides," she said.

The subject has caused some debate

Kc Bleeds Crimson said:
You would definitely have to build a habitat of some sort to keep it in.

The Deke lawn wasn't good enough? :D JK, I know the Deke lawn is history. The elephant was there for homecoming back in what '05?

RollTideRandy said:
They mentioned that the particular circus elephant they were looking at buying is a female Asian elephant, thus she wouldn’t have tusks like Big Al.

They could get the Dental School to make dentures for the elephant. We got to have tusk. :lol:

If we get one, I'd like a male African elephant
elephant.jpg

Compared to an Asian elephant

Asian-Elephant-Birmingham-Zoo.Jpg

Apparently I have a thing for huge elephant ears, and no I'm not a Barner :D

a_tuberville_i.jpg

Back
Top Bottom