| FTBL RB Battle

I suspect we'll see different starters in a lot of games. The RB depth chart is about like the WR depth chart. It depends on our first called play who gets the nod.

Sort of a 1A, 1B, 1C type of deal.

4 man rotation is how I see it with Grant, Coffee, Ingram and Upchurch.

TerryP said:

I just don't see it any other way either and to be truthful this prospect has me excited. Grant is a little undersized it would seem but his compactness belies his lateral speed. He also does not run with allot of fear.

With Coffee rotating around we will have a nice mix of speed and power at the position.

Terry...whom do you see as being the better blocking back, who has the better hands? Also do you see Upchurch being the last on that rotation? I could be crazy but I think Upchurch will have a decent year if given a chance.

Swamptick said:
TerryP said:

I just don't see it any other way either and to be truthful this prospect has me excited. Grant is a little undersized it would seem but his compactness belies his lateral speed. He also does not run with allot of fear.

With Coffee rotating around we will have a nice mix of speed and power at the position.

Terry...whom do you see as being the better blocking back, who has the better hands? Also do you see Upchurch being the last on that rotation? I could be crazy but I think Upchurch will have a decent year if given a chance.

Coffee as a better blocking back than Grant. Grant, better passing threat. Upchurch, a nice combination of both.

The question is going to be how quickly Ingram can pick up the blocking schemes.

I think Grant and Coffee are the guys most likely to get the starts. As the season wears on, both of those guys will be getting their carries, as will Ingram and Upchurch. Goode is a bit of a dark horse too, I'm very interested in seeing how well he does during the August practices and scrimmages. I wrote a RB position preview that goes into some depth on this that we'll post to the blog within the next week or so.

Porter said:
I think Grant and Coffee are the guys most likely to get the starts. As the season wears on, both of those guys will be getting their carries, as will Ingram and Upchurch. Goode is a bit of a dark horse too, I'm very interested in seeing how well he does during the August practices and scrimmages. I wrote a RB position preview that goes into some depth on this that we'll post to the blog within the next week or so.

;tr ;tr

Looking forward to that preview!!!

Swamptick said:
I could be crazy but I think Upchurch will have a decent year if given a chance.

Upchurch has tremendous talent as a back, but his window is closing in a way with all the young talent that is being brought in. Hopefully, he can put it all together this fall and reach that potential, because when he's healthy and doing the right things, he can be a playmaker.

I know CNS likes to rotate backs a lot, but forrrreal. Grant is unreal in open space and given our new OC... I just think we'll see Grant a lot more unless it's short yardage. Plus, he's fully healed - he only slowed down because of a hernia. We've seen other backs totally slow profduction after that type of hernia - wasn't it Ray Hudson or somebody from a few years back. Cannot wait to see Grant. It is very hard to chase someone at his speed laterally even if you miss your angle by 1%!!! RTR

shiloh said:
I know CNS likes to rotate backs a lot, but forrrreal. Grant is unreal in open space and given our new OC... I just think we'll see Grant a lot more unless it's short yardage. Plus, he's fully healed - he only slowed down because of a hernia. We've seen other backs totally slow profduction after that type of hernia - wasn't it Ray Hudson or somebody from a few years back. Cannot wait to see Grant. It is very hard to chase someone at his speed laterally even if you miss your angle by 1%!!! RTR

KD

Lenny Kozlowski said:
Tells me we dont really have 1A RB........more like 1C, 1d, 1E

No, it's Saban's rotation. Each player fills specific roles. It's the very same approach he took with his RB rotation at LSU. As example, back in '03 Vincent had the majority of the carries but he ended up only carrying the ball about 40 more times than Addai. Broussard was in that rotation as well. He carried the ball less than Addai, but they were within 30 of each other on attempts.

Back
Top Bottom