| LIFE Perspective on gun control

Is teachers teaching their own opinions on sex, religion and politics acceptable

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only with parental consent in elective courses

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alabamajack

My wife and I are dinner with a couple tonight. Both are educators and the topic came up about how politics has become a much heated topic throughout school systems. Some teachers/ schools are using classrooms to push their own political agendas. Even going as far as to keeping parents in the dark about what's being taught. Just thought I would make a poll and see where the majority of y'all felt about it.

Public schools should remain secular. That means they will often go against the religion or politics of every household that is not also secular. I think questions like this become loaded because people feel that things like teaching homosexuality is personal and not a problem is pushing an agenda. No, teaching that every kid might be homosexual and they should experiment with it to be sure would be pushing an agenda. Teaching that homosexuality is not something to use against someone or discriminate based on is actually part of what school should do as that is a secular objective. If you want your religious ideals taught then pay for them to go to a religious school.

Regarding politics, we learned about it in American History. But it was nothing like "Well, the current President blah, blah, blah...:" or "The previous administration is blah, blah, blah..." It was only ever about the current 2-party system, early politics in The U.S., George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, etc. There was NEVER anyone shilling for one side or the other. It was completely open, honest, and non-partisan. So yes, teach politics in school. But teach it with an open mind and talk about both sides and how they differ. But do NOT talk about why one side is better than the other.

Unfortunately, that's where the message gets lost. Teachers are influential people. They know this. So they use that influence to tell kids in their classes why one person is bad and that they should be for the other. And they push their own agenda and try to keep the parents unaware of their "teachings". That's why if I EVER had kids (not likely, especially at my age now), they'd be home-schooled.

Yes, I vote a certain way. My entire family votes a certain way. But we always talk to the younger generation about politics in an open manner and let them make their own decisions. Just as it was when my younger niece turned 18 a few years ago. My sister told her about both parties, both candidates, and let her make up her own mind.

Regarding politics, we learned about it in American History. But it was nothing like "Well, the current President blah, blah, blah...:" or "The previous administration is blah, blah, blah..." It was only ever about the current 2-party system, early politics in The U.S., George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, etc. There was NEVER anyone shilling for one side or the other. It was completely open, honest, and non-partisan. So yes, teach politics in school. But teach it with an open mind and talk about both sides and how they differ. But do NOT talk about why one side is better than the other.

Unfortunately, that's where the message gets lost. Teachers are influential people. They know this. So they use that influence to tell kids in their classes why one person is bad and that they should be for the other. And they push their own agenda and try to keep the parents unaware of their "teachings". That's why if I EVER had kids (not likely, especially at my age now), they'd be home-schooled.

Yes, I vote a certain way. My entire family votes a certain way. But we always talk to the younger generation about politics in an open manner and let them make their own decisions. Just as it was when my younger niece turned 18 a few years ago. My sister told her about both parties, both candidates, and let her make up her own mind.
I agree 100 percent.

Teachers are not allowed to teach their opinions on sex, religion and politics in a classroom situation. A teacher is allowed to answer a direct question from a student if asked on the subjects. A good teacher will present information and at no time will a student be able to determine that teachers personal opinion. In reality, I think too many teachers are giving personal opinions.

Actually, you brought up a good point. I just see school boards in other states starting to push political agendas way too hard instead of worrying about how some school systems are failing miserably in teaching our children

The responsibility of a school board is very limited. They are to hire and fire the superintendent and treasurer and vote for against items on the board agenda by the superintendent. That's the job. School boards ARE NOT supposed to deal with busses, bands, food service, athletics or those type things but that is what the vast majority do.

Schools are also supposed to teach a curriculum that is set by each state as long as it also meets the US Department of Education guidelines. Basically, its a cluster. Local schools or at least the state should set what should be and not be taught IMO.

We all have opinions and teachers are no different, so in the context of teaching politics a teacher’s opinion is going to be asked of and irregardless of the teacher’s political leaning their opinion is going to be asked.

I have two friends who are educators, one is left and one is right, but they both share the same opinion on what’s wrong with the education system in this country.

The responsibility of a school board is very limited. They are to hire and fire the superintendent and treasurer and vote for against items on the board agenda by the superintendent. That's the job. School boards ARE NOT supposed to deal with busses, bands, food service, athletics or those type things but that is what the vast majority do.

Schools are also supposed to teach a curriculum that is set by each state as long as it also meets the US Department of Education guidelines. Basically, its a cluster. Local schools or at least the state should set what should be and not be taught IMO.
I think part of the issue is when the school boards are full of politicians and not educators. Here in the part of the state (Wyoming) I live in the school board has one educator on it out of eight seats the rest are made up of people that have zero educational experience and no education beyond high school.

I think part of the issue is when the school boards are full of politicians and not educators. Here in the part of the state (Wyoming) I live in the school board has one educator on it out of eight seats the rest are made up of people that have zero educational experience and no education beyond high school.

The problem at the state and federal level is that you have politicians and not educators passing laws that tell us what needs to be taught, score a certain percentage or score on mandated tests and how many years of Math, English, Science and Social Studies a student needs.

The most practical class I have EVER had in all my years of education is typing. Most kids DO NOT need 4 years of Math, 3 years of a foreign language, 4 years of English, 3 years of Social Studies and Science, etc... As I said in my earlier post, education is a cluster.

This is just my thoughts on the situation here locally in Northport. To me, it's a black and white issue on paper, but filled with gray in the classroom. I don't want my kid's teachers giving her their opinions on politics, but I also realize that for many teachers, that is hard for them to manage (whether they try to or not). It isn't very different than any other profession, where some can handle the expectations and navigate the the boundaries much better than others. Even back when I was in HS in the 90's, it was easy to tell that a few of my teachers were very liberal (especially a particular government teacher and a history teacher). I know my child's K and 1st grade teacher (same person) is liberal, but I don't believe it was ever an issue with her teachings. Her 4th grade teacher was very conservative, but again, I'd have never known just by her classroom teaching (which is how it should be). But I don't believe that the curriculum at the school should be an open-ended, choose your own adventure style template for the teachers. In the end though, it is my job as a parent to talk to my kid about what is going on in her classes and not rely on the school to always act in the manner that I expect. If/when I see or hear anything that I believe needs additional context, I'll provide it, or point her to another resource that can. If I ever run into a situation personally where a teacher is trying to push an agenda beyond what I'd consider ethical, then a meeting with her/him and/or the principal would be scheduled. That honestly isn't something I anticipate though.

On sex and religion... Up to this point the school system has been very open and transparent on what they are teaching about sex (which isn't much other than basic health or science class type stuff for middle schoolers). But, they allow the parents to opt out and they provide all the materials for any parents that want to review them beforehand. I haven't heard of any religious stuff going on during school hours in the classrooms, certainly not mandatory stuff. Personally, I'm 100% ok with voluntary prayer groups, prayer at school sporting events, etc. The local schools have a program one morning each week before school that is put on by a local youth minister. My child attends it. Again, completely voluntary, and she enjoys it. It isn't anything I would ever expect children to be required to attended though in a public school setting...

Back
Top Bottom