| FTBL Oh I've seen it all now

I

imported_porkchop

And to think we couldn't get one player drafted. :shock:

Check out the bottom of this link and go over the list of players that have signed on as free agents and try not to fall out of your chair. I can't believe this one. :shock:

F/A Signings

Most likely just trying to build up the confidence of their DEs. Let them get the taste of beating an OT off the edge play after play after play after play after play after, well you get the idea, and they might find they rather like the concept.

Better they experience the joy beating out a live human filling a uniform than doing it against air.

I am a 47-year-old and I honestly think I could pass protect better than our ex-player discussed here. I really do.

All that said, I truly believe Capps gave everything he had effort wise. He was just not an SEC (or D-1) caliber offensive lineman talent wise. Not his fault. And not his fault none of the other young 4* and 5* studs never did what it takes to take his job away from him until late in his career. As much as we wail-and-moan about him being more matador or traffic cop than offensive tackle, we do realize he was for a long, long time better at the job than anyone else on the roster do we not?

I have said for a few years now that our program was irrelevant on the national scene and really just living off name only. I think the events of this past weekend helped prove my prior arguments. And in all honesty, I don't see much of a change on-the-field this upcoming season. For the most part our better players across the board are either first- (true freshmen) or second- (true sophomores or redshirt freshmen) year players in the system. As good as they may be, they are still old boys playing against young men. 7-5 or 8-4 would be a pretty good job by our players and coaches - especially when you look at our schedule (especially the road part). Anything better would make me giddy.

He and Britt both were a little bit of a surprise, but it isn't at all uncommon for NFL teams to scoop up anyone with a pulse after the draft. If they make it past the second cut day, that will get my attention. Most any BAMA O-lineman who got significant playing time during their college career is going to sign on with someone after the draft. Everyone from Marico Portis to Kyle Tatum have gotten their chance.

I have said for a few years now that our program was irrelevant on the national scene and really just living off name only. I think the events of this past weekend helped prove my prior arguments. And in all honesty, I don't see much of a change on-the-field this upcoming season. For the most part our better players across the board are either first- (true freshmen) or second- (true sophomores or redshirt freshmen) year players in the system. As good as they may be, they are still old boys playing against young men. 7-5 or 8-4 would be a pretty good job by our players and coaches - especially when you look at our schedule (especially the road part). Anything better would make me giddy.
Totally agree.

alagator said:

I agree with most of what you said, especially the irrelevant in todays football( we have been and was the punishment/result you get from NCAA fractions) and living off our past. The only part I disagree with is, not seeing a change on the field for this upcoming season. Attitude, commitment and another year in the S&C conditioning will see a big improvement on the field. Not everything is X'&O's and what the final score is. Road games are tough but the will be a test for the staff and players but that is what is about. I want to see improvement in the character of the team, watching them all work and not give up...finish. Important step in the program. I was at a pretty good program in HS that was known for winning. We went through a similar process...I know what attitude, character and work can do for you.
I have plenty of thoughts about winning the west, sec etc, but realistically not on my radar. I am looking for development and character this year, not wins,loses...who knows what can happen. Oh yeah and beating Auburn. I do think there will be change on the field. Even our players want to know we believe in them. It is never a good thing to sugar coat something but it is also never a good thing to always doubt someone or something (this is not directed at anyone).

RTR

Back
Top Bottom