| MBB/WBB No. 18/16 Alabama Wins Ninth Straight, Topples Mississippi State 81-73

UA Press Release

Official News Releases
Staff

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The No. 18/16 Alabama men's basketball team begins a two-game homestand when it welcomes rival Mississippi State on Saturday night at 5 p.m. CT on SEC Network. It will mark the first of two games played between the longtime rivals this season as the Crimson Tide will play the return game in Starkville on Saturday, Feb. 27, at 7:30 p.m. CT (SEC Network).

The Tide enters the contest having won eight straight and nine of its last 10 games following 105-75 victory at LSU last Tuesday. It was the third consecutive win of 20 points or more for UA, which has combined to beat its last three opponents by 81 points, which averages to 27.0 points per game (won at Kentucky by 20, vs. Arkansas by 31 and at LSU by 30) – the largest margin of victory across three straight SEC wins in program history (full not on page 8).

Alabama and Mississippi State will meet for the 204th time in series history, and first of two meetings this season, when the teams square off on Saturday night. The Tide and Bulldogs will play the second leg of the home-and-home this year on Feb. 27 in Starkville, Miss. UA owns a 126-77 edge in the all-time series, including wins in 10 of the last 13 contests played between the two teams

The Broadcast

• Saturday's game will be available on SEC Network with Mike Morgan (play-by-play) and Mark Wise (analyst) on the call.
  • The radio broadcast can be heard on the Crimson Tide Sports Network with Chris Stewart (play-by-play), Bryan Passink (analyst) and Roger Hoover (sideline) on the call. The pregame show will begin one hour prior to tipoff.
Team Notes

• Alabama will be looking to win its ninth straight game which would mark the longest winning streak since starting the 2002-03 campaign with nine consecutive victories – eventually reaching No. 1 in the nation (the only time in program history UA reached No. 1 in the nation) before suffering its first setback.
  • The Tide's seven-straight SEC wins is the best since winning eight straight to start the 1986-87 and 1974-75 SEC seasons. Only the 1955-56 "Rocket 8" team was better, finishing that year with a perfect 14-0 mark in league play.
  • Alabama is one of only six teams across the nation which is ranked in the top-15 in both offensive and defensive efficiency according to KenPom.com (as of 1/22). The Crimson Tide currently rank No. 13 in offensive efficiency and No. 10 in defensive efficiency among the top-20 in the nation in both offensive and defensive efficiency, according to KenPom.com. Joining Alabama in the stat is Gonzaga (2/15), Baylor (4/1), Michigan (7/8), Virginia (10/9) and Texas (15/7).
  • Alabama enters this week back in the national rankings, checking it at No. 18 in the Associated Press Top-25 and No. 16 in the USA Today Coaches poll. It's the first time since December of 2017 that UA is ranked in the AP Poll. Furthermore, the last time the Tide has been ranked in the AP poll this late in the season came when it was ranked No. 25 for the week of Feb. 19, 2007.
  • The Crimson Tide is ranked No. 10 in the NCAA NET rankings (as of 1/22) which is second-best among SEC teams. Alabama is one of five SEC teams ranked among the top-30, which also includes No. 6 Tennessee, No. 23 LSU, No. 24 Missouri and No. 28 Florida. UA owns a record of 4-1 against Quad 1 opponents and 5-1 versus Quad 2 foes.
  • With a perfect 7-0 record in league play, the Crimson Tide is in first place by itself through the early portion of the SEC season. The Crimson Tide leads Tennessee (4-2) by two-and-a-half games leading into play this weekend. It's the first time an Alabama team began conference play with five straight wins in 34 years, dating back to the 1986-87 campaign when UA started that SEC season 8-0.
  • Coming into Saturday night's contest, Alabama not only leads the SEC at 7-0, but it is the top defensive team in conference play. The Crimson Tide currently ranks first in the league in field goal percentage defense (.368), three-point field goal percentage defense (.246), is second in steals (9.0) and fifth in scoring defense (69.6).
  • Alabama is also on a roll on the offensive end of the floor during league play. UA leads the SEC in scoring offense (87.6), three-point field goal percentage (.422), threes made per game (13.1) and scoring margin (+18.0), while ranking second in field goal percentage (.460) when facing conference competition.
  • Over its last three games (won 85-65 at Kentucky on Jan. 12, won 90-59 vs. Arkansas on Jan. 16, won 105-75 at LSU on Jan. 19), the Crimson Tide has outscored its competition by a combined 81 points, which averages out to 27.0 points per game (93.3-66.3). During the stretch, Alabama is averaging 17.3 threes made per game, while shooting 50.0 percent (100-of-200) from the field and 47.7 percent (52-of-109) from beyond the arc.
  • John Petty Jr. has been on fire during SEC play and as a result, has earned the league's Player of the Week award in two of the last three weeks (Jan. 4 and Jan. 18). The Huntsville, Ala., native is averaging a team-leading 16.6 points per game in league play, while shooting 59.7 percent (43-of-72) from the floor and 56.5 percent (26-of-46) from beyond the arc against league competition. He leads the league in conference play in three-point field goal percentage, threes made per game (3.7) and total threes made and is ninth in scoring average. Furthermore, with five made threes vs. Arkansas on Jan. 16, Petty became the program's all-time leader in three-pointers made (currently has 265). Additionally, his 698 career attempts from deep is 41 shy of breaking Williams' program record of 738 three-point shots.
About Alabama

• Alabama enters contest at LSU riding an eight-game winning streak – the longest winning streak dating back to winning nine straight to open the 2002-03 campaign, eventually reaching No. 1 in the nation that season. The Crimson Tide extended its best win streak in 10 years with an impressive 105-75 victory at LSU last Tuesday.
  • Four Crimson Tide players are averaging 12.5 or more points per game for head coach Nate Oats in the early part of the season. Guard John Petty Jr. leads the way at 14.3 ppg while Jahvon Quinerly is second on the team with 13.3 ppg. Guard Jaden Shackelford averages 13.1 ppg while forward Herbert Jones is at 12.6 ppg.
  • Jones, considered one of the top defensive players in the entire nation, leads the team in rebounding (5.7 rpg), three-point field goal percentage (.478, 11-of-23), charges taken (4), Blue Collar Points (298.5, 19.9 BCP per game), deflections (48), floor dives (12) and Hard Hat Awards (7). He also boasts much improved offensive numbers during his senior season. In addition to averaging double digits, Jones is collecting 2.1 assists per contest, while shooting 48.1 percent from the field (64-of-133).
  • The combination of Petty (39-of-92) and Shackelford (30-of-84) have combined to hit 69 of the Tide's 165 three-pointers (41.8 percent) and have 176 of the team's 460 (38.3 percent) total attempts from beyond the arc. Combined, the duo is shooting 39.2 percent (69-of-176) from beyond the arc.
  • As a team, Alabama is outscoring the opposition by 11.3 points per contest (81.8-70.5) while shooting 43.7 percent from the field, 35.9 percent from deep and 69.3 percent from the charity stripe.
  • It's the Crimson Tide's defense that has set the tone to its 7-0 start in SEC play. UA leads the league in defensive efficiency, ranking first in field goal percentage defense (36.8 percent) and three-point field goal percentage defense (24.6 percent), second in steals (9.0) and sixth in scoring defense (69.6).
  • This season, the Tide welcomed back four starters and five of its top seven scorers off last year's team, three were named as All-SEC performers a year ago. Petty (Second Team All-SEC), Shackelford (All-Freshman) and Jones (All-Defensive) all earned a spot on the postseason teams. Both Petty and Jones tested the NBA waters, with Petty, who was one of the last players to withdraw his name, announcing his return in early August and Jones in mid-June.
  • Alabama was predicted to finish fifth overall as voted on by a select panel of both SEC and national media members. Additionally, Petty All-SEC Preseason First Team honors by both the coaches and media members, while Jones earned a spot on the preseason second team as voted on by the league's head coaches. Petty was selected to the 2020 Jerry West Award Watch List for the nation's top shooting guard. He was also tabbed preseason All-SEC by Blue Ribbon Yearbook.
  • Head coach Nate Oats is in his second season at the helm of the Crimson Tide program and owns a record of 28-18 (.609) during his time at the Capstone. Oats, who is in his sixth season as a collegiate head coach, owns a career record of 124-61 (.670).
About Mississippi State

• Mississippi State enters the contest sporting a 9-6 record on the season and a 4-3 mark in league play following the team's 64-46 home loss to rival Ole Miss this past Tuesday. Despite the setback, the Bulldogs enter their game at Alabama having won six of its last nine contests including a perfect 2-0 record in SEC road games (won at Georgia and at Vanderbilt).
  • The Bulldogs are led by the league's top scoring duo in guards Iverson Molinari (17.4 ppg) and D.J. Stewart Jr. (17.4 ppg), who combine to score an average of 34.8 points per game. Molinari leads Mississippi State in assists (3.3 apg), steals (1.3 spg) and three-point field goal percentage (51.4 percent, 18-of-35), while Stewart tops the team in minutes per contest (35.6 mpg), threes made (24) and attempted (63) and field goals made (98) and attempted (222).
  • Forward Tolu Smith also contributes on the offensive end, collecting 13.5 points per game while topping MSU with 8.8 rebounds a contest and field goal percentage (57.9 percent). Former Alabama forward and transfer Javian Davis has played in 11 contests this season and is averaging 4.3 points and 5.2 rebounds in 17.7 minutes per contest.
  • As a team, Mississippi State leads the league in rebounding margin at +8.9 (39.7-30.8), which also ranks 17th-best in the nation. Additionally, the Bulldogs are 26th in the nation in offensive rebounds per game (13.1) and 28th nationally in blocked shots per game (4.8). MSU also leads the SEC in three-point shooting percentage at 37.2 percent on the year. For the year, MSU is outscoring the competition by +5.5 points per game (71.7-66.1), while shooting 46.0 percent from the field.
  • Ben Howland, who is in his sixth season at the helm of the program. In four different stints as a head coach, Howland has a 508-278 (.646) record – Northern Arizona (79-59), Pittsburgh (89-40), UCLA (233-107) and Mississippi State (107-72, .598). He led UCLA to three-consecutive Final Fours, including a national runner-up finish in 2006.
Alabama-Mississippi State – Series Notes

• Alabama and Mississippi State will meet for the 204th time in series history, and first of two meetings this season, when the teams square off on Saturday night. The Tide and Bulldogs will play the second leg of the home-and-home this year on Feb. 27 in Starkville, Miss.
  • UA owns a 126-77 edge in the all-time series, including wins in 10 of the last 13 contests played between the two teams
  • Both the 203 games played and the 126 wins against Mississippi State marks the most for Alabama against any single opponent in each category in program history.
  • Despite Alabama's recent dominance in the series, the teams have split its season series in each of the last three years, with each team winning on its home floor. The Tide had captured wins over the Bulldogs in 10 of previous 11 games prior to the recent 3-3 stretch.
  • Alabama owns a record of 79-17 in all-time games against the Bulldogs at home, including a 42-9 mark at Coleman Coliseum. UA has defeated MSU in four straight in 10 of the last 11 games played under the arched roof.
  • Coming into Saturday's game, Alabama has been the dominant team in the series. Dating back to the 2011-12 season, the Crimson Tide has claimed victory in 16 of the last 22 games played between the long-time rivals.
  • The series, which first began during the 1912-13 season, has seen 14 overtime contests including the 2008-09 season's double-overtime affair. The Tide owns an 8-6 lead in such games.
  • Sixty-six of the meetings have been decided by five or fewer points.

Glancing at VegasInsider they have the game opening at -14 and this morning, depending on the book, it's between -9½ and 11. KenPom is projecting a 12 point Bama win, 80-68. That fits with the total (149.)

On a different note we've got one of those screwed up TV schedules with SEC games again; just like football. I'd like to watch the UK/LSU game. It tips at the same time this evening.

How to watch
Who: Alabama (12-3, 7-0 in the SEC) vs. Mississippi State (9-6, 4-3)
When: 5:00 p.m. CT, Saturday, Jan. 23
Where: Coleman Coliseum, Tuscaloosa, Ala.
Watch: SEC Network (play-by-play: Mike Morgan, analyst: Mark Wise)
Radio: Crimson Tide Sports Network (play-by-play: Chris Stewart; analyst: Bryan Passink; sideline Roger Hoover)

Alabama projected starting five
Herb Jones: 6-foot-8, 210 pounds, senior
Stats: 12.6 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 2.1 apg, 48.1% FG, 47.8% 3-pt
Jaden Shackelford: 6-foot-3, 200 pounds, sophomore
Stats: 13.1 ppg., 4.1 rpg, 2.4 apg, 38.9% FG, 35.7% 3-pt
John Petty Jr.: 6-foot-5, 184 pounds, senior
Stats: 14.3 ppg., 5.2 rpg, 2.2 apg, 49.0% FG, 42.4% 3-pt
Joshua Primo: 6-foot-6, 190 pounds, freshman
Stats: 8.6 ppg., 3.4 rpg, 1.1 apg, 41.3% FG, 38.3% 3-pt
Alex Reese: 6-foot-9, 230 pounds, senior
Stats: 4.3 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.6 apg, 31.6% FG, 24.6% 3-pt

Mississippi State projected starting five
Iverson Molinar: 6-foot-3, 190 pounds, sophomore
Stats: 17.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 3.3 apg, 49.1% FG, 51.4% 3-pt
D.J. Stewart Jr.: 6-foot-6, 205 pounds, redshirt sophomore
Stats: 17.4 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.5 apg, 44.1% FG, 38.1% 3-pt
Jalen Johnson: 6-foot-6, 210 pounds, redshirt senior
Stats: 7.1 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 0.6 apg, 40.0% FG, 40.7% 3-pt
Tolu Smith: 6-foot-10, 245 pounds, redshirt sophomore
Stats: 13.5 ppg, 8.8 rpg, 1.0 apg, 57.9%
Abdul Ado: 6-foot-11, 255 pounds, redshirt senior
Stats: 5.8 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 0.8 apg, 52.4% FG

Injury report
During his Friday Zoom call with reporters, Alabama basketball head coach Nate Oats provided an update on forward Jordan Bruner who has missed the last two games after sustaining a meniscus injury to his right knee against Kentucky on Jan. 12. Bruner underwent a procedure on his knee last week and was given a prognosis of about 4-6 weeks until he can return to action.

“He's been on the treadmill, getting some walking in,” Oats said. “He's actually able to get some shots up yesterday. He was shooting after practice a little bit, not anything game-speed or anything like that. He looks good. He was riding the bike after practice. He’s right there during practice on the side doing his treatment and everything. … The 4-6 they gave me initially, I'm hoping is closer to four than it is to six because we could certainly use him soon.”

In other news, point guard Jahvon Quinerly was asked how he is feeling after missing three games due to a medical condition. The redshirt sophomore has played in Alabama’s last two games and recorded 22 points while shooting 6 of 7 from 3 against LSU last time out.

“I do feel like I’m getting back to playing at a high level again,” Quinerly said. “After the Tennessee game, I was feeling real comfortable, and things were just coming a lot easier for me. Then I got hit with the medical condition, and I had to sit out three games. It’s just like Coach said, trying to get my legs out under me and letting things come to me again. I feel like I’m getting to 100 percent. I’m pretty close.”

Notes and quotes

— Alabama was one of only six teams in the nation to rank inside the top 15 in both offensive and defensive efficiency according to KenPom.com. The Tide is currently ranked No. 13 in adjusted offense and No. 10 in adjusted defense. The only other schools to rank in the top 15 in both are Gonzaga (2/15), Baylor (4/1), Michigan (7/9), Virginia (11/10) and Texas (14/7).

— During Monday’s media session, Oats said there has been a friendly competition between assistants Antoine Pettway and Charlie Henry. Pettway coaches the offense while Henry coaches the defense.

“They both always look at our postgame analytics to see who did a better job,” Oats said. “They’re always looking at KenPom to see who has the upper hand. Pettway’s got our offense up to speed because our offense isn’t quite to the level of our defense. They kind of joke around about that.

“Shoot, I think they’re both playing pretty well right now. To say our offense isn’t quite at the level of our defense after we hit 23 3s is kind of an absurd statement, but those guys have a little fun going back and forth like that.”

— Joshua Primo hit a career-high six 3-pointers against LSU while matching his career-high of 22 points. It was the freshman’s third double-digit performance in his past four games. Friday, Primo said his role has been “pretty easy” due to the number of scorers Alabama has on the floor.

“With all the weapons that we have, it’s easy to slide in and contribute,” Primo said. “The guys give me a lot of confidence to shoot whenever I’m open, and they get me in open positions. So I’m always ready to shoot. The coaches have been working with me on staying ready, staying well and making sure I’m in a position where I can make shots and help the team score.”

Quinerly spoke highly of Primo on Friday, stating the freshman has progressed a lot over the last few months.

“He’s come along,” Quinerly said. “When he first got here, he was a nervous little freshman just how I was when I was a freshman. There’s a lot of older guys on this team. We try to give him confidence every day and just give him the little pointers ever now and then. But he’s a fast learner. He’s really been learning a lot.”

— Alabama is looking for its ninth straight win which would mark its longest streak since the 2002-03 season when it recorded nine consecutive victories en route to reaching No. 1 in the nation before losing.

— Alabama is also looking for its eighth straight SEC win. That would be the Tide’s second-best start to conference play, tying the 1986-87 and 1974-75 teams which also started SEC play 8-0. Alabama’s 1955-56 “Rocket 8” team finished the year with a perfect 14-0 mark in league play.

— Alabama ranks No. 10 in the NET rankings, the metric used by the NCAA tournament selection committee. The Tide has the second-highest ranking among SEC teams, trailing only No. 6 Tennessee. Alabama is 4-1 against Quad 1 teams and 5-1 against Quad 2 opponents. Mississippi State ranks No. 78 in the NET rankings, making it a Quad 3 opponent for Saturday’s matchup in Coleman Coliseum.

— Mississippi State leads the SEC with an +8.9 rebounding margin (39.7-30.8) which ranks No. 17 in the nation. The Bulldogs feature the SEC’s top rebounder in 6-foot-10 forward Tolu Smith who averages 8.8 boards per game.

“Mississippi State obviously offers some different challenges than what we’ve seen in conference play,” Oats said. “They’ve got some real bigs that we’re going to have to keep off the glass. They’re always one of the best rebounding teams in the country. They play hard. They’re well-coached, well-disciplined.”

— While Mississippi State doesn’t shoot as much as Alabama from beyond the arc, the Bulldogs lead the SEC shooting 37.2 percent from 3. Sophomore Iverson Molinar leads the team, making 51.4 percent (18 of 35) of his shots from deep.

Felt like a very slow game, but we still scored 80 points. Pretty amazing we can still score that many when Mississippi State played really good defense and kept us on our toes most of the game.

Overall I think this was a game we needed. Very easy to get complacent after the recent run of blowing out some ranked teams. Coach Saban is the man when it comes to keeping that hunger, so hopefully this team has learned and been taught that lesson.

Keep fighting boys! Roll Tide.

Team is still learning how to play as the hunted. There was no way they could keep the pace they had especially on Saturday plus MSU under Howland has always played hard on the defensive end. State defended the 3 and still gave up 13 and had the inside presence to cause issues with the dribble and drive game. Still got the win. Hit a couple of key 3's in the closing minute one after it got down to 3 points.

Last edited:
I keep expecting the Tide BB team to come back down to earth. A very good defensive performance by Ms. St. But Bama kept their cool and did what they needed to do to win.

Regardless of what happens the next two games, we're obviously a much better than we have been in years. I think we've found ourselves a basketball coach.

I keep expecting the Tide BB team to come back down to earth. A very good defensive performance by Ms. St. But Bama kept their cool and did what they needed to do to win.

Regardless of what happens the next two games, we're obviously a much better than we have been in years. I think we've found ourselves a basketball coach.
Yeah I have been expecting them to hit a tough spot or two. Things are significantly improved and the team has enough experience to not fall apart. Hopefully their confidence and leadership will help them work through it. Still early in the Oats era and program building but this has been good this year for sure. Just going to enjoy it...

Updated SEC standings after today’s games... Mizzou beat Tenn tonight, our game with them (Feb. 6 at their place) will be big. Having the tie breaker over them would be nice to have in the back pocket. Mizzou’s remaining SEC schedule isn’t terribly difficult (neither is Bama’s). The Vol’s reaming schedule is tougher, plus Bama has the tiebreaker over them. Sounds like Rojas could be back Tuesday, and Quinnerly should return around the South Carolina game. Stay healthy otherwise and things could get really fun...

651FD867-616A-471E-AB18-EC860A0CFCD5.jpeg

Crimson Tide’s winning streak is longest since beginning the 2002-03 season 9-0

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – Five players reached double figures as the No. 18/16 Alabama men’s basketball team used clutch shooting and timely defensive stops down the stretch to hold on and defeat Mississippi State, 81-73, on Saturday night inside Coleman Coliseum. The Crimson Tide secured its ninth consecutive win – the longest winning streak since beginning the 2002-03 season at 9-0 – and improved to 13-3 overall while staying undefeated in Southeastern Conference play (8-0).

The eight league wins matches the team’s conference win total last season and equals the second-best start to SEC play in school history, matching the 8-0 starts by both the 1986-87 and 1974-75 teams. Only the famed 1955-56 Rocket 8 team had a better start in conference action, finishing that season with a perfect 14-0 league mark.

Forward Herbert Jones led the Tide with 17 points, seven assists, four steals and three blocks in the victory. He also claimed his team-leading eighth Hard Hat Award and led the team in plus/minus (+14). Guard Joshua Primo finished with 16 points including going 4-of-5 from beyond the arc. Guards John Petty Jr. (12) and Jaden Shackelford (12) along with forward Alex Reese (11) also reached double figures on the night.

Mississippi State (9-7, 4-4 SEC) was led by D.J. Stewart Jr.’s game-high 27 points, while Ivan Molinar added 19 in the losing effort.

Coach Nate Oats Postgame Comments

“It is always good to get a win. I think it was good to play in a close game as well. We have been hitting shots at a pretty good pace and blowing teams out, so it was good to get in a late game situation. I am a little disappointed with our performance, but I am happy we figured out a way to win. I thought our defense stepped up big in the end. Shack and Petty both hit big threes to open the lead. We did not play as well as we have been, but you have to give Mississippi State credit. They were really well-coached and we were not going to be able to do whatever we wanted to on the offensive end. They were going to guard you, which they did a pretty good job of. On our defensive end I thought we did some good stuff. We obviously struggled guarding Stewart which was a little disappointing. He is a really good player. Him and Molinar make a pretty good backcourt, one of the better ones in the SEC. I was a little worried about interior defense coming into the game with (Jordan) Bruner and (James) Rojas out. I thought Reese played well and Keon (Ambrose-Hylton) gave us great minutes. The 10 minutes Ambrose played we were +8, so he did a great job. I thought that the last four minutes of the first half, the first four of the second half started good. We went on an 8-2 run to finish the first half and a 9-3 run to start the second, so a 17-5 run there to close the first half and open the second half is great. We’ll take the win but we have a tough one coming up here on Tuesday with Kentucky.”

Team Stats

• The contest featured 13 ties and five lead changes – all of which came in the opening 20 minutes of action
  • Alabama won its ninth straight game, which marks the programs longest win streak since starting the 2002-03 season with nine straight and eventually reached No. 1 in the nation – the only time UA has earned the nation’s top ranking in program history
  • The win marks the Tide’s sixth straight game in scoring at least 80 points and is a total 12-0 when scoring at least 80 points on the season
  • Alabama’s 21 assists tied a team-high for the season and marked the second straight game of at least 20 assists (had 20 assists in the win over LSU)
  • The Tide converted on 28-of-61 (45.9 percent) from the field and 14-of-34 (41.2 percent) from deep while limiting Mississippi State to 27-of-61 (44.3 percent) from the field and just 4-of-14 (28.6 percent) from beyond the arc
  • The Tide used a 17-5 run that spanned halftime and lasted exactly five minutes that turned a 33-32 disadvantage into a 49-38 UA lead with just over 17 minutes left to play

Next Up

• Alabama will host Kentucky on Tuesday night at 6 p.m. CT on ESPN. It will mark the second meeting in just two weeks between the teams, as the Crimson Tide knocked off the Wildcats in Rupp Arena, 85-65, back on Jan. 12.

KenPom updated win probabilities.

54% @Oklahoma (77-76)
58% @Missouri (76-74)
62% @arkansas (81-78)
76% LSU (86-79)
76% @Mississippi St. (78-70)
78% @South Carolina (85-76)
79% Kentucky (76-67)
82% Auburn (84-74)
85% @Texas A&M (75-64)
91% Georgia (88-73)
96% Vanderbilt (88-68)