Need some advice

PhillyGirl

I'm an assistant in an international office at a small university just outside Philadelphia. My position is one-year maximum, so since about March, I've been applying and interviewing for various jobs at the next level.

I made it to the final round for a position at a university in DC. I had a phone interview a few weeks ago, and they emailed me Monday morning saying they wanted to bring me in for an all-day in person interview next week, and asked what day would be best for me. So I promptly responded "Yes" and told them which day worked best for me.

It has now been over 3 days since I received their email asking me to come in next week, and I have yet to get a response to my answer. I need a confirmation of the date/time because I have to take a day off work, and make travel plans (may also make lodging plans with family or friends if it's early morning: Philly is 3 hours away from DC).

I called yesterday to confirm, but I got a secretary with a very thick accent who said (I think) that the staff was not in that day and that she would pass my message along.

I don't plan to email or call again until at least Monday, but I was just wondering .. Is this normal? For any other job I have interviewed for, folks are very communicative re: confirmation of dates/times, etc. I find it kind of odd I have not been confirmed. I know people get busy and things happen and whatnot, but it just seems downright rude to not take 5 seconds to confirm someone who is interviewing for a position in your office. I am also wondering if they just aren't interested anymore .. but then why bother contacting me in the first place?

Can someone help lessen my paranoia/stress? Lol.

So a few minutes ago, I got another email from them, basically saying, "Hey, we decided to do hour long Skype interviews now. Tell us times you can do it."

Blah. So much for a trip to DC.

Is this a job I should still consider? At this point I can't really be choosy but it makes me nervous that this is how they handle position candidates. In my experience in higher ed, this is abnormal.

Speaking from the other side of the coin, having spent half of my career in management, it is very much the practice to give someone ample time when you want a face to face with them. It is a matter of courtesy to the person you want to interview. Not only must they make travel and lodging arrangements, they also need to have time to arrange for coverage of their present duties while they are away, as well as (if necessary) making arrangements for child care. I think I would prefer face to face where possible, but I am so old school my thoughts probably don't matter.

Maybe they are just trying to keep costs down...assuming they were paying for your travel. I'd ask them the reason for the change in plans, this could also help you understand if you should pursue this opportunity or not. Curious if this is the final screen before an in-person interview. I wouldn't hire someone without a face to face meeting.

Also, I use the Ben Franklin method of writing down pro's and con's for decisions like this.

Speaking from the other side of the coin, having spent half of my career in management, it is very much the practice to give someone ample time when you want a face to face with them. It is a matter of courtesy to the person you want to interview. Not only must they make travel and lodging arrangements, they also need to have time to arrange for coverage of their present duties while they are away, as well as (if necessary) making arrangements for child care. I think I would prefer face to face where possible, but I am so old school my thoughts probably don't matter.

Thanks for your input.

I much prefer face-to-face interviews! I also prefer paper to digital, so I think my preferences are going the way of the dodo ..

Maybe they are just trying to keep costs down...assuming they were paying for your travel. I'd ask them the reason for the change in plans, this could also help you understand if you should pursue this opportunity or not. Curious if this is the final screen before an in-person interview. I wouldn't hire someone without a face to face meeting.

Also, I use the Ben Franklin method of writing down pro's and con's for decisions like this.

Thank you for your input as well. I guess it just makes me a bit wary that they asked to do an hour long Skype session versus an in-person all day interview. Seems like quite a jump, with no explanation or acknowledgement.

I also rock pro's and con's lists! I have a notebook I use for the job search, and it is full of 'em. Gotta love Philly's favorite guy :2thumbs:

So they emailed me again yesterday basically saying, "JUST KIDDING, we can actually bring you down here for the all-day interview" lol. Oy vey. Well, here goes nothing. Scheduled for June 2nd .. Need a lot of luck!

Never had an all-day interview .. Looks like I meet with the provost and director of the department, then another staff member, then coffee break with other staff members, then a tour of campus with the director, then a lunch meeting with the provost and director plus a student, then a wrap-up meeting with the provost. Gonna be seeing a lot of these folks haha hope I don't run out of things to discuss ..

I didn't learn in my career until later on that I'm interviewing the employer just as much as they are interviewing me...seems obvious I know. Not sure if that is an option these days based on the job market. Is the company a place I want to spend 40-60 hours a week with?

You'll do fine Jill, be prepared and have talking points (notes) to keep you on topic if needed. Seems like they are really trying to get to know you and based on having numerous staff members involved, they want to make sure you are a fit with the team (usually what I look for - I believe you can teach most people anything...but personalities are the tough part).

Good luck!

I didn't learn in my career until later on that I'm interviewing the employer just as much as they are interviewing me...seems obvious I know. Not sure if that is an option these days based on the job market. Is the company a place I want to spend 40-60 hours a week with?

You'll do fine Jill, be prepared and have talking points (notes) to keep you on topic if needed. Seems like they are really trying to get to know you and based on having numerous staff members involved, they want to make sure you are a fit with the team (usually what I look for - I believe you can teach most people anything...but personalities are the tough part).

Good luck!

Thank you!! I am already researching the staff members involved haha. And researching the department and school even more so than I did for the initial interview. Thank you very much for your advice! :)

Back
Top Bottom