| NEWS NCAA releases new guidelines on NIL (involvement with boosters highlighted.)

This is hitting on what @BamaFan334 and I were discussing a few weeks ago. In reality, there is none other than an ego stroked here or there. I mentioned what Saban had said about unsustainability in that conversation. If you're kicking in 800K for a defensive linemen and he's not developed into an All-American type you're going to stop spending that money on a kid and spend your money elsewhere.

It's a Pandora's Box in a sense. If your boosters are kicking that kind of cash at your players and you're not winning championships? That money will stop. And, sooner than later it'll be those coaches whose asses are on the line.
I haven’t seen any official NIL agreements, but I’m betting it’s a legal contract (you do this for us and we’ll do this for you) for a limited term. The smart ones will limit the term to an annual basis (helps to avoid a compensation for no awareness) and/or until the player is no longer on the roster.

I haven’t seen any official NIL agreements, but I’m betting it’s a legal contract (you do this for us and we’ll do this for you) for a limited term. The smart ones will limit the term to an annual basis (helps to avoid a compensation for no awareness) and/or until the player is no longer on the roster.
How Bama's works...

"Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned."

Or, how about "Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a bureaucrat scorned?" Pressure. That's what I feel the NCAA powers that be are feeling right now due to how the NIL has been abused.

Danny Kanell offered a Twitter poll this week asking how many were happy with the way the NIL and transfers have affected college football. Over 78% said "no." Josh Pate had a similar poll, same medium, where just under 73% said they didn't like where the sport was headed. Eight of ten? That's where your pressure is coming from from my point of view: fan displeasure at the core. Look no further than the constant media coverage and the meetings in DC*** for more evidence.

I suspect A&M is scrambling right now trying to "hide" what's transpired in College Station. Hiding what, you might ask. One rule that hasn't changed; boosters can't have contact with recruits. While some of these numbers (dollar amounts) have been exaggerated (see Tennessee and their QB) some of these "offers" haven't been: like 800K to an Aggie in this last class.

Here's A&M's problem. Kids that signed with their last class shopped their A&M offers against other schools. This hasn't been kept "in house" in spite of Jimbo recently saying "A&M had no idea how much money or who was getting paid." (sic)

I know many will have the reaction, "nothing will happen." I disagree, wholeheartedly. There's too many involved for it to simply get passed by.

*** I've learned we shouldn't just dismiss the involvement of the Feds/DC: there's a strong movement there as well.
I hope you’re right and they nail Slimbo and the A$M boosters to the wall. Though, I’d be shocked if that happens. NIL was so poorly conceived and even more poorly defined as to defy comprehension. As currently written, there are so many loopholes for slimy coaches and boosters to ooze through that I don’t see how any one of them can be sanctioned. Which is why the moronic powers that be who green lighted this monstrosity to begin with are now desperately trying to close as many of those loopholes they can as fast as is possible. I mean the NCAA can’t get out of their own way on penalizing “established” infractions. So, I can’t imagine they will manage to do anything different with A$M and NIL

Back
Top Bottom