| PRO NBA releases list of 'approved messages' for player jerseys — it's a social justice warrior's dream

They're also painting "Black Lives Matter" onto the hardwood courts

The National Basketball Association announced on Friday the list of "approved messages" that players will be allowed to display on the back of their jerseys when the season resumes play later this month.

According to ESPN, the NBA and National Basketball Player's Association, the league's player union, agreed to 29 words and phrases that can be displayed on a player's jersey, above their number, in the space where their last name is typically located.

The list includes words and phrases such as: "Black Lives Matter," "How Many More," "Power to the people," "I Can't Breathe," "Anti-Racist," among others.
Players will be allowed a first and second choice, ESPN reported. If a player chooses not to use a word or phrase from the approved list, their last name will be displayed as usual.

The messages will be displayed for the first four nights of resumed play. After those games, a player can replace the approved word or phrase with their last name.

However, if they want to continue displaying the social justice message, their name will be placed below their number.

"The league and the players are uniquely positioned to have a direct impact on combating systemic racism in our country, and we are committed to collective action to build a more equal and just society," NBA Commissioner Adam Silver said. "A shared goal of our season restart will be to use our platform in Orlando to bring attention to these important issues of social justice."

The NBA will also paint "Black Lives Matter" on the hardwood playing floor when games resume July 30.

Here's the full list of 'approved messages':
  • Black Lives Matter
  • Say Their Names
  • Vote
  • I Can't Breathe
  • Justice
  • Peace
  • Equality
  • Freedom
  • Enough
  • Power to the People
  • Justice Now
  • Say Her Name
  • Sí Se Puede (Yes We Can)
  • Liberation
  • See Us
  • Hear Us
  • Respect Us
  • Love Us
  • Listen
  • Listen to Us
  • Stand Up
  • Ally
  • Anti-Racist
  • I Am A Man
  • Speak Up
  • How Many More
  • Group Economics
  • Education Reform
  • Mentor

The NBA will also paint "Black Lives Matter" on the hardwood playing floor when games resume July 30.
Within the last week I've read where there's been a suit filed against city leaders for painting the same slogan on city streets. I get that but I'll admit I'm confused on this one. Since we're talking about some venues that are not city owned I don't supposed they can file under the same statues. Privately owned versus public property.
Group Economics
OK. Anyone want to take a stab at what this means?

It would be too much for them to have Free Hong Kong on their jerseys, eh?

What the sports are doing is moving politics deeper into the heart of sports...where people went to escape the dailey world of politics....and reality

What do you expect? The people in school to become teachers are being taught that they have to insert social justice into all disciplines. They are being taught that not only is everything political but that everything should be political. This has been growing since the 1960's and has reached the point where even math has to include social justice. Sports are an obvious place to insert politics, especially anything based on race as it is one of the few places where blacks are more visible than other races.

What the sports are doing is moving politics deeper into the heart of sports...where people went to escape the dailey world of politics....and reality

About three weeks ago I saw a report where ESPN SC had the lowest ratings in 41 years. 41 years.

No live sports would impact that number, no doubt. Over the past two weeks they've seen an upsurge with some sporting events returning. Their ratings were measured as the lowest in 25 years in that report.

The underlying factor here is these same athletes are relying on a lot of the same people they are targeting with their political and social views. What is going to be said when these same minorities making millions are no longer are when their audience gets pissed off for being alienated and called names? Then will it turn to "whites steal thousands of high paying jobs from minorities again"? Just perpetuating the cycle. If you have a gripe, have a stance, but don't shove it down everyone's throat. This will not move my emotions 1cm, but I tell you what it is doing is making me not want to watch this political theater, which makes their stance lost on my end. Have a discussion, don't force it or demand it.

Yeah these sports talking heads like to stir people up. See finebaum.... so they watch or listen. And the political part will really do it
Playing the " black national anthem " at start of nfl games should really piss people off ( their isnt but ONE national anthem) Along with the other political slogans on their uniforms and on field or on court....
My slogan...i back the blue!!!!!!

Great thing is I have a choice to watch or not.... I do not choose to watch the slanted new media stations and I can choose to not watch ESPN or other organizations that decide to bring politics into the conversation.... I am only one but that one I can control (most of the time :)). Now if this were/becomes Bama sports it is a much harder thing for me to do.

Yeah these sports talking heads like to stir people up.... really piss people off
watch nfl or hell no to nba!!!!!!
Over the last few weeks even the most casual observer has seen and heard the cliche about history repeating itself. Consider that with this...

1994, MLB goes on strike and fans were pissed off. Did they return to the game or find other sports/hobbies/activities in which to spend time?

Over the last few weeks even the most casual observer has seen and heard the cliche about history repeating itself. Consider that with this...

1994, MLB goes on strike and fans were pissed off. Did they return to the game or find other sports/hobbies/activities in which to spend time?
Was hugh baseball fan. Never came back.
May have watched a game. Maybe 2 since then
Its a boring game That cant even decide on its own rules ( DH)....
slow and uninteresting.
Want baseball.... go to a college or double A game. Its s sport there

Back
Top Bottom