| FTBL Maybe I missed it , but did anyone else catch..

Chuck-E-Cheeze

Verified Member
the brilliance of Saban's intent, when he said that he wanted the Iron Bowl to become a national game again? I work w/ a few northern folks that have paid attention to sports their whole lives. One guy is my boss, and he tells me quite frequently that ALA vs. AUB means nothing nationally. He says OSU vs. UM appeals to a much larger audience. Unfortunately, he is correct. No one outside the state gives 2 Shi+s about our beloved game. Enter coach Saban. You have to hand it to the man for recognizing the importance of making the Iron Bowl relevant to build steam for the Bama program. I have come to understand his genius. Get the nation to notice the program again by hilighting the biggest game of the season. As the GUINESS guys would say, BRILLIANT!!!

It will matter when Coach Saban has our program back in the hunt. It will be hard not to notice.

Aubarn on the other hand......nobody does "give 2 shi+s about." :lol:

A rivalry is significant only to those who have a team in the game, or those who's team is impacted by the outcome.

The University of Alabama and Auburn University are not Mega schools with 40k-50k students like Ohio, Michigan, Texas, Florida...thus our alumni/fan bases are smaller. Both schools represent a state with just over 4 million people. Honestly, the only reason that the Iron Bowl was ever a "national" game was because Bama has been a national contender and Auburn represents our last potential stumbling block, and the rivalry was intense long before it became fashionably and profitable.

With Auburn repeatedly proving that they are irrelevant as a contender, the only way for this to be a national game again is for it to have BCS impact implications for Bama again. Of course, Auburn needs to be some degree of a threat as well.

"A hammer and a nail don't have a rivalry" - someone who is better with words than I do.

Chuck-E-Cheeze said:
the brilliance of Saban's intent, when he said that he wanted the Iron Bowl to become a national game again? I work w/ a few northern folks that have paid attention to sports their whole lives. One guy is my boss, and he tells me quite frequently that ALA vs. AUB means nothing nationally. He says OSU vs. UM appeals to a much larger audience. Unfortunately, he is correct. No one outside the state gives 2 Shi+s about our beloved game. Enter coach Saban. You have to hand it to the man for recognizing the importance of making the Iron Bowl relevant to build steam for the Bama program. I have come to understand his genius. Get the nation to notice the program again by hilighting the biggest game of the season. As the GUINESS guys would say, BRILLIANT!!!

For the last decade, your boss is right. However, we are too far from it being a national game again. I'd have to pull up the media guide and look through it but I'd bet that it was in the nineties that the game was a national broadcast on CBS. It's been a national broadcast on ESPN, but in my opinion that doesn't carry as much weight (in terms of viewers and choices of games to view) as a CBS contest.

TerryP said:
For the last decade, your boss is right. However, we are too far from it being a national game again. I'd have to pull up the media guide and look through it but I'd bet that it was in the nineties that the game was a national broadcast on CBS. It's been a national broadcast on ESPN, but in my opinion that doesn't carry as much weight (in terms of viewers and choices of games to view) as a CBS contest.

Hmmmm, was 2005 not national? If not you'd have to go back probably to 1994 when we both entered Legion Field undefeated. Auburn had tied UGA the week before though.

BamaDelta said:
TerryP said:

Hmmmm, was 2005 not national? If not you'd have to go back probably to 1994 when we both entered Legion Field undefeated. Auburn had tied UGA the week before though.

You are right Sandra...had to look that one up. It was the infamous field entrance with Tubs arm in arm with his players as if they were prom dates.

shipley00 said:
TerryP said:
You are right Sandra...had to look that one up. It was the infamous field entrance with Tubs arm in arm with his players as if they were prom dates.

Hmmm... I gues we know what he was doing with his 7 fingers back then. :D

I have a suggestion as to where he might put those 7 fingers. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom