| FTBL “Man, your boy looked good in the Sugar Bowl,” —Henry building on Sugar Bowl breakout

“Man, your boy looked good in the Sugar Bowl,” they tell Bobby Ramsay.

Ramsay has heard that phrase, he said, about 150 times since January. He’s heard it from fans around town in Yulee, Fla. He’s heard it from fellow high school coaches at clinics. He’s heard it from college coaches who have stopped through scouting talent.

If Ramsay turned on the radio, flipped on the TV or simply walked the streets here in Tuscaloosa, he’d hear about his former running back even more. In fact, he might be overwhelmed by the number of people saying how good Derrick Henry looked for Alabama in the Sugar Bowl against Oklahoma: 161 all-purpose yards and two touchdowns. When Henry broke his 43-yard touchdown run the fourth quarter, Ramsay said he received something like 18 text messages in under 30 seconds.

Derrick Henry's breakout performance in the Sugar Bowl changed everything for the Alabama running back, but Henry is just focused on getting better.

It’s easy to see why people got excited. The run had the look of a seminal moment for the former five-star athlete who set the national career rushing yards record at Yulee High. The 6-foot-3, 243-pound talent finally showed on a national stage why he was so highly sought after. After carrying the ball minimally throughout the regular season, he blew people away in the bowl game.

All told, Henry ran for 382 yards and three touchdowns as a true freshman. And now? Despite being the backup to T.J. Yeldon, he's listed on the sports betting website Bovada as 28-to-1 to win the Heisman Trophy, ahead of Dak Prescott, Duke Johnson and Myles Jack.

Too big? Please

It’s almost laughable to think about it now, but for a long time people questioned whether Henry was cut out to be a running back. He was too big, they thought, too bulky to fit through running lanes. He was too tall to have the proper pad level.

And then there was the Sugar Bowl.

Somewhere in Yulee, Ramsay smiled. What he’d seen in high school and what he saw in bits and pieces throughout the season was showing up on a much larger, unavoidable scale: Henry was meant to play running back.

“I told some people, ‘Man, that looked just like high school. Those DBs didn’t want to tackle him any more than the DBs who played here,’” Ramsay said. “The first touchdown he scored, I was joking, ‘That kid from Oklahoma, he’s running with Derrick so he won’t get yelled at when he goes back to the bench.’ He wasn’t going to try and get him on the ground.”

No one wants to tackle Henry, not even his teammates.

Tide linebacker Reggie Ragland, no slouch at 6-2 and 259 pounds, described his meetings with Henry during practice as both “mean” and “peaceful” because they can’t take one another to the ground.

“He's a big guy,” he said of Henry. “A lot of people are scared to tackle him.”

Said Henry: “During the Oklahoma game, I could tell that they didn't want to tackle me. I just kept the mindset of being physical and keep running hard so everything will open up.”

Growing pains

Henry says one of his goals is to be a starter, but for now he’s “focused on getting better and becoming a complete player.”

ncf_u_henry11_65x90.jpg
Not getting that much playing time really taught me a lot. It humbled me. Everything isn't just going to come to you. You have to work for it.
” <cite>-- Alabama RB Derrick Henry</cite>​

A year ago that might not have been the case.

Like most blue-chip recruits, Henry first had to deal with reality. Though his talent was undeniable, there were things he hadn’t yet mastered. At Yulee High, he didn’t have to block, pass protect or catch passes out of the backfield. Ramsay only needed him to run the ball. But at Alabama, he wouldn’t see the field until he could do it all.

“Not getting that much playing time really taught me a lot,” Henry said. There wasn’t a game during the regular season where he carried the ball more than six times. “It humbled me. Everything isn't just going to come to you. You have to work for it. You have to take time. This is college football so it's more technique. You have to put more effort into by watching film and really paying attention to the little things”

Saban said the light came on for Henry in the lead up to the Sugar Bowl. Like a lot of freshman, the chance for extra practice time paid off.

Now he’s taking that momentum and running with it.

"Derrick Henry has had a fabulous spring," Saban said on Wednesday. "He picked up right where he left off at bowl practice last year. He works really hard. He runs really hard. He plays with a lot of toughness. He gets it."

Everything has changed, nothing has changed

In a way, Henry is built to be the center of attention. At Yulee High, he was the biggest thing going. As early as the ninth grade, Ramsay said, “They could play football for 500 years in our county and there’s going to be no one better than him.”

“I think it’s helping him now,” Ramsay said. “They protected him from that as a freshman. Now he’s going to have a little more on his plate. … It’s crazy because he hasn’t played a ton but I’ve got people from Alabama, and these are people who have been around the program for years, who have said they haven’t ever seen a guy with this much popularity.

“In a town where every other street is named after Paul Bryant, for someone to say that is big.”

Has Henry changed? Not according to Ramsay: “Nothing. Same guy. Nothing different.”

“Offseason has been good,” Henry said in the most understated way possible. “Coming back from the Sugar Bowl and getting back to lifting weights and doing 4th Quarter [Program], it's been going well. Just trying to get better.”

That simple, singular focus will suit him well. As spring practice wraps up and the march toward the regular season intensifies, so will the scrutiny.

What will aid him most will be his work ethic, the same determination that helped him get through the lows of last season and reach the high of the Sugar Bowl.

“Right now he’s in a very comfortable place,” Ramsay said. “Initially all freshmen go through the process of being in a new place and having a new way of doing things. One thing with Derrick is he’s never let it affect his effort level. ... Every time I talked to [running backs coach Burton Burns] about it, he’d say, ‘Oh man, We want all the guys to be like Derrick. He’s pulling G.A.’s aside to work on things extra after practice, he’s getting extra film work.’”

A moment later, Ramsay put an exclamation point on the subject.

“He’s not expecting to have rose pedals thrown at his feet,” he said of Henry.

Ramsay’s boy looked awfully good in one game, but both he and Henry understand that last season was only the first step. What comes next is a whole different set of challenges.

Read More Here...

With a new QB under center, it will be comforting to have the stable of RB's we'll have to help take some of the pressure off the pass game. I just wish Henry was used a little more in short yardage situations against the barn last year. Could have made a big difference.

I know it is easy to do the "what if" thing several months after the season ends, but if Derrick Henry had played against the barn, he would have rushed for 150 yards (at least) and torn their porous defense to shreds.

If Derrick Henry and the Auburn game. :icon_rolleyes:

We ran for 233 (gross) on 30 carries for the night. "Henry would have shredded..." Yeldon did.

Short yardage situations and replacing Yeldon with Henry would have made a difference? I can't agree with this, either.

IF we would have had a decent push from the offensive line and hadn't been over-powered by the Auburn defensive line it would have made a difference, yes.

I'm reading some of the comments here and can't help but think back to the A&M game last year. There, in short yardage, people complained about the play call and personnel because we couldn't convert short yardage situations. Now, with the Auburn game, we ran the ball three times needing three to get the first down and it's "we should have used a different player?"

Missed FG returned for a TD won the game.

Preceding that Foster had a FG attempt blocked. Before that, he missed another at the beginning of the fourth quarter. (It wasn't a short yardage situation.) He missed another in the first quarter.

Setting Cade's issues aside...

You want to know a big reason that game was lost? It had nothing to do with Henry not getting reps or a HUNH like some suggest. It fell on the defense being manhandled...a power approach by Auburn.

Yeldon is no slouch at 6'1-220, so I don't necessarily buy the fact Henry would have gotten those yards with as little experience as he had. Yeldon has two thousand yard season and two experienced years under his belt at the time. If anything, Drake's speed and elusiveness should have been used, but we still don't know the complete story on him and that game.

If Derrick Henry and the Auburn game. :icon_rolleyes:

Short yardage situations and replacing Yeldon with Henry would have made a difference? I can't agree with this, either.

IF we would have had a decent push from the offensive line and hadn't been over-powered by the Auburn defensive line it would have made a difference, yes.

Why don't you agree with this? First and foremost, if your O-line is not getting a sufficient push for a "smaller" back in short yardage, doesn't it stand to reason that a bigger, more physical back may have been able to generate at least one yard (especially in the situation I am thinking about vs the Barn)? I am not saying Yeldon is a small back either but relatively speaking....c'mon!

I'm reading some of the comments here and can't help but think back to the A&M game last year. There, in short yardage, people complained about the play call and personnel because we couldn't convert short yardage situations. Now, with the Auburn game, we ran the ball three times needing three to get the first down and it's "we should have used a different player?"

Yes! We should have used a different player imo. It's not that far of a stretch to imagine using a big back for a short yardage pick up. Henry didn't learn to run the ball with 5 players hanging onto him just immediately after the barn game. :lance:

Missed FG returned for a TD won the game.

Duh! :tongue-new: There were a lot of plays leading up to that missed FG that would have changed the outcome of that game.

You want to know a big reason that game was lost?

Yeah, Aubrun scored more points at 0:00. :sarca:

It had nothing to do with Henry not getting reps or a HUNH like some suggest. It fell on the defense being manhandled...a power approach by Auburn.

Maybe so but we will never know. Maybe Henry could have made a difference by lengthening TOP with conversions but again, we will never know. I thought it was more about our D's lack of ability to generate ANY pressure on Marshall. FSU proved in the 2nd half of their game how key that is.

Why don't you agree with this? First and foremost, if your O-line is not getting a sufficient push for a "smaller" back in short yardage, doesn't it stand to reason that a bigger, more physical back may have been able to generate at least one yard (especially in the situation I am thinking about vs the Barn)? I am not saying Yeldon is a small back either but relatively speaking....c'mon!

Yes! We should have used a different player imo. It's not that far of a stretch to imagine using a big back for a short yardage pick up. Henry didn't learn to run the ball with 5 players hanging onto him just immediately after the barn game. :lance:

There can only be two situations you're referring to here; one in the first and one in the fourth. Those were the only two short yardage situations we had against Auburn.

Assuming you're talking about the fourth quarter stop by Auburn, we were sitting at 2nd and 3 and failed to get a first down when TJ only managed to get two yards on that second down play. He was stuffed on third and fourth down—because there wasn't a hole, crease, or a bit of daylight for him to get through.

A bigger back is supposed to move the pile in those situations? And by bigger back, we're talking a couple of inches taller and 15-20 lbs heavier. We're not talking about some significant difference in the way these two guys are built.

Still...the insinuation I'm reading is Henry would be able to move our guys and their defensive line up the field two yards. I'm saying if there isn't any hole, there isn't a reason to believe another back would make a difference. (Dragging players in open field has little to nothing to do with pushing the pile from behind.)

You want to know a big reason that game was lost? It had nothing to do with Henry not getting reps or a HUNH like some suggest. It fell on the defense being manhandled...a power approach by Auburn.
Maybe so but we will never know. Maybe Henry could have made a difference by lengthening TOP with conversions but again, we will never know. I thought it was more about our D's lack of ability to generate ANY pressure on Marshall. FSU proved in the 2nd half of their game how key that is.

We'll never know if our defensive line was manhandled by a power approach by Auburn? We saw it.

We'll never know if we'd have lengthened the TOP with conversions in short yardage situations? Here's the problem with that. On that last possession, we turned the ball over on fourth down with what, about five minutes left in the game? (They had a three and out giving us the ball right back.) A first down there would likely have made the difference in the game. After all, we were up by seven at that point. If we didn't have a holding call on the next possession...damn, here we are back to the battle in the trenches again.

A first down on that next possession might have made a difference as well...just like if the offensive line would have had the proper protection or a kicker would have executed correctly... we wouldn't have had a field goal attempt blocked (which would have given us a 10 point lead.)

(FWIW, all this breakneck speed gave Auburn five more plays than we had with less than two minutes difference in TOP.)

We talk about football in three areas; offense, defense, and special teams.

We lost the special teams battles not once, or twice, but three times in that game.

We've won our games and had our success based on winning the battles in the trenches. We lost that battle as well. I don't believe a simple point of using a different running back matters when you're losing the battle upfront.

Oh, we know our D-Line was handled by AU all day. Hard to dispute that and I am sorry if that read wrong.

With Henry in that short yardage situation (yes, in the 4th qtr) we will never know. He seems to have an ability to break tackles at the line. Would he have prevented AU from getting the ball back on downs?

As a whole, yes we did lose the day in special teams and in the trenches but Coach Saban says it all the time. Every play has a life of its own. With 5 minutes left and we convert that 4th down, we have the lead and we don't know the next plays that would have ensued. It was a critical part of the game and like the rest of the game you pointed to, we lost. I still second-guess in my mind as to whether or not some fresh legs could have pounded in and gotten that one last yard at that point of the game. I will get over that game eventually....

Oh, we know our D-Line was handled by AU all day. Hard to dispute that and I am sorry if that read wrong.

With Henry in that short yardage situation (yes, in the 4th qtr) we will never know. He seems to have an ability to break tackles at the line. Would he have prevented AU from getting the ball back on downs?

As a whole, yes we did lose the day in special teams and in the trenches but Coach Saban says it all the time. Every play has a life of its own. With 5 minutes left and we convert that 4th down, we have the lead and we don't know the next plays that would have ensued. It was a critical part of the game and like the rest of the game you pointed to, we lost. I still second-guess in my mind as to whether or not some fresh legs could have pounded in and gotten that one last yard at that point of the game. I will get over that game eventually....

I get that. That's why I mentioned the A&M game last year when it was second-guessing the pass call versus the run. In that game we weren't getting the kind of push we needed to be able to call a run play and know we'll get a couple of yards.

It's easy to do; natural, as a fan.

All of this brings me to a bit of a different discussion, but it's related.

Where's the "Make his ass quit" gone the last two seasons? I think, hope, that it's what Saban's touched on when he said it's the intention to get back to where we were several years ago. If the guys in the trenches had that mindset would this even have been a conversation?

Henry reminds me a lot of Hightower with his versatility and his size. Makes me wonder what kind of creativity Lane will do with him on the field; maybe use Henry as a distraction.

Back
Top Bottom