| NEWS LSU Tigers coach Ed Orgeron says team focused on improvement, not Alabama - ESPN

S

SEC Sports

LSU will look to salvage its season against No. 2 Alabama on Nov. 14, but coach Ed Orgeron said beating the Tigers' SEC West rivals isn't the primary focus of the bye week.

"We've got to fix us first," he said.

LSU, which went undefeated and won the national championship last season, has fallen well short of expectations this season, beginning with losing its season opener to unranked Mississippi State. They were blown out by Auburn, 48-11, last Saturday to fall to 2-3.

The defense has been a particular sore spot, giving up 33.6 points per game, which ranks 12th in the SEC. In previous weeks, Orgeron said the defense needed to be simplified in order to perform better. But coming off the loss to Auburn, his tone had changed.

"We've simplified as much as we can simplify, to be honest with you," he said.

With that said, Orgeron did his best to project confidence as he spoke to reporters during his regular weekly news conference. He said the players haven't lost their motivation and the coaching staff remains united.

"I feel positive about what's going on," he said.

In fact, Orgeron went so far as to reference last season's championship team.

"We're not that far away," he said. "We've got to get better coaching. We've got to get better players. This is LSU and we're going to do that."

But whether LSU will be at full strength against Alabama remains to be seen. Orgeron said he's unsure whether quarterback Myles Brennan will be able to play against the Crimson Tide. Brennan has missed the last two games with a lower-body injury.

Freshman TJ Finley started both of those games in Brennan's place and went 1-1. After playing well in a win over South Carolina, Finley completed just 13 of 24 passes against Auburn, with no touchdowns, two interceptions and one fumble.

"We're not that far away," he said. "We've got to get better coaching. We've got to get better players. This is LSU and we're going to do that."

Two years ago, today (Nov. 4th) in fact, Orgeron had this to say:

I gotta recruit better defensive linemen. Gotta recruit better offensive linemen. Same old thing.

"Same old thing" is exactly right.

He's been there since 2015, been head coach since 2016, and one of the same old things I'm seeing is lack of QB play. That predates Orgeron.

Here's some numbers that caught my attention:

With Joe Burrow on their roster LSU was 25-3. Without Burrow Orgeron's teams are 33-36. A transfer quarterback saved his ass, much like Miles with Mett, and the rest of the time?

Two years ago, today (Nov. 4th) in fact, Orgeron had this to say:

"Same old thing" is exactly right.

He's been there since 2015, been head coach since 2016, and one of the same old things I'm seeing is lack of QB play. That predates Orgeron.

Here's some numbers that caught my attention:

With Joe Burrow on their roster LSU was 25-3. Without Burrow Orgeron's teams are 33-36. A transfer quarterback saved his ass, much like Miles with Mett, and the rest of the time?

Interesting
...but a minor point to note.... for what its worth....
Bama won NC with transfer QB
AU won NC with transfer QB

Interesting
...but a minor point to note.... for what its worth....
Bama won NC with transfer QB
AU won NC with transfer QB

Oh, everyone is well aware that Coker was a transfer quarterback.

However, trying to make a comparison between what's happened at LSU and AU with their QB's? AU hasn't won a title without a transfer QB. LSU hasn't won a title with a QB they developed. And when it comes to Bama ...

AJ wasn't a transfer. He was a QB developed at Bama. Blake, Tua, Jalen, and now Mac. All of them developed under the Saban regime and all of them have been, at the least, playoff quarterbacks. Four of the five titles won under Saban were won with players developed under his system. You don't find that in either of your two examples.

On another note, look at OU and their offensive prowess. In five of their last season seasons their success has come from? A transfer QB. What's UGA trying to do? Find a QB that can lead them to the playoffs from ... the transfer portal.

Quite frankly, when it comes to QB development, the only school that one could compare to Bama would be Ohio State and they're riding the back of a transfer QB right now.

Oh, everyone is well aware that Coker was a transfer quarterback.

However, trying to make a comparison between what's happened at LSU and AU with their QB's? AU hasn't won a title without a transfer QB. LSU hasn't won a title with a QB they developed. And when it comes to Bama ...

AJ wasn't a transfer. He was a QB developed at Bama. Blake, Tua, Jalen, and now Mac. All of them developed under the Saban regime and all of them have been, at the least, playoff quarterbacks. Four of the five titles won under Saban were won with players developed under his system. You don't find that in either of your two examples.

On another note, look at OU and their offensive prowess. In five of their last season seasons their success has come from? A transfer QB. What's UGA trying to do? Find a QB that can lead them to the playoffs from ... the transfer portal.

Quite frankly, when it comes to QB development, the only school that one could compare to Bama would be Ohio State and they're riding the back of a transfer QB right now.

Yeah....obviously aware of Bama QB past situations....

Wasnt an issue.... just stating a fact....as it was relating to Burrow.... a transfer QB
Bama and AUwon a NC with a transfer QB... ( and For your sake.....bama has in fact won others with developing QBs...not in dispute)

And as far as this goes...Bama obviously has been successful in developing players at all positions..... certainly one of nicks selling points in recruiting

Me too

And turned down 1200$ for my 2 tickets .....
Wrecked my rv Sunday morning after...
My puppy got run over that same Sunday morning ( survived...1000$ vet bill)

Was a shit weekend
Indeed it was. Still can't forgive our TE for letting a much smaller player wrestle the ball away from him at the goal line.

Back
Top Bottom